What to do when an endowment matures

Hi

We have an endowment (current value about 58k) that matures in 2 years. It was to repay a mortgage. It has a shortfall but we have adjusted our mortgage to take account of this. We have part of the mortgage on repayment only that the endowment will cover, but this has 4 year left to run. The question is do we cash it in on maturity in 2 years, stop paying into it in 2 years or continue to pay into it for another 2+2 years? Generally it had been ticking along not earning much but the last few years has improved and is increasing in value by 4-6k per annum.

Thanks

Comments

• fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    jcknowles wrote: »
    Hi

We have an endowment (current value about 58k) that matures in 2 years. It was to repay a mortgage. It has a shortfall but we have adjusted our mortgage to take account of this. We have part of the mortgage on repayment only that the endowment will cover, but this has 4 year left to run. The question is do we cash it in on maturity in 2 years, stop paying into it in 2 years or continue to pay into it for another 2+2 years? Generally it had been ticking along not earning much but the last few years has improved and is increasing in value by 4-6k per annum.

Thanks

You don't get to choose. In 2 years time it has matured, so it is finished. They contact you in the month or so before it matures and sort out/double check which bank account it will be paid into a few days after it matures.

You can then decide what you will do with your 58k until it is required to pay the remaining amount of your mortgage. I don't know if all of it is needed or not. If there is surplus after you have paid the mortgage, well, you might know already what you will do with the money or you might want to speak to an IFA for advice, or head over to Savings and Investments forum and search on 'windfall' or similar. You'll soon get an idea of the (fairly limited) ways you might have available to try to earn a bit of interest on it.
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
  • dcfc67
    dcfc67 Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When it matures they pay the money into your bank account, usually the one which the direct debits were taken from.
    Have you looked to see how much they have been paying as terminal bonuses over last few years.
    i know this isn't a guarantee but it may boost your payout.
    Once mine ends i have a year left on mortgage so will overpay the amount which i put into the endowment to reduce the amount on the repayment part of my mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure