IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5767911

Euro Car Parks, after a Fleet Manager paid the thing. Full refund now due.

Sounds like the OP was lucky; if they didn't use 'no hirer liability' (100% slam dunk winning appeal point) and instead went for 'no genuine pre-estimate of loss' (doomed) the appeal wasn't one the forum would have suggested but luckily, POPLA do nowadays look for whether the driver was ID'd or not and consider liability first.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • scamdodger
    scamdodger Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    See the thread;

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5762395

Basically, the POPLA assessor did not take into account all my challenges - especially Landowner Authority and Parking Eye did not provide evidence. The initial appeal was unsuccessful, but after complaining of a procedural error, the appeal was allowed.

Letter received from POPLA - appeal allowed!!
    Despite the fact that the appeal portal has still not been updated, I have just received a letter from POPLA stating the Appeal is Allowed.

This is great news and shows that I did the right thing to complain about a 'procedural error'.

The salient part of the review said;
    "For me to be able to categorically state that the operator has the authority granted to it to enforce parking on this land, I would have expected to have been provided with a copy of a redacted contract or witness statement. Having viewed the operator's evidence pack it has not provided any evidence of either. As such I am unable to determine that on the date of the event that the operator was authorised to issue PCN's to motorists, and am unable to conclude that the parking charge has been issued correctly.....

....Accordingly the Appeal is Allowed."
  • SalomonAssassin
    Options
    Original Thread: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5822906

Decision: Not contested

Summary: Parking Eye Ltd have told us they do not wish to contest the Appeal. This means that your Appeal is successful and you do not need to pay the parking charge.

Many thanks to all who helped!
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ParkingEye, the Range, Milton Keynes

DecisionSuccessful
    Assessor NameSteve Macallan
    Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator states that it issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN), because the vehicle with registration xxxx xxx remained at the car park for longer than authorised or without authorisation.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant believes the operator has failed to adhere to the Protection of Freedoms Act (POFA) 2012. He states the signage is not clear. He is questioning the operator’s authority to issue and pursue PCNs for this site. He is also questioning the accuracy of the operator’s ANPR system. The appellant has provided: an annotated birds-eye image of the entrance; several photographs of the entrance area; photographs from within the car park; photographs of signs; photographs of a sign belonging to The Range; and a list of businesses.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    The terms and conditions state: “2 hour max stay” and that “Failure to comply with the terms & conditions will result in a Parking Charge of: £100”. The operator has also provided photographic evidence of the vehicle arriving at 10:37 and departing at 13:04, remaining for a total of two hours and 27 minutes. The British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice, under section 18.1 states: “In all cases, the driver’s use of your land will be governed by your terms and conditions, which the driver should be made aware of from the start. You must use signs to make it easy for them to find out what your terms and conditions are”. The appellant has provided photographic evidence of the presence of parking signs belonging to The Range which advise that vehicles may be clamped. This introduces confusion over who the parking contract is with. I would also note that the clamping of vehicles of private land is illegal in England and Wales. Therefore, I cannot be satisfied that the operator has met the minimum requirements of the BPA. As such, I am unable to conclude that the operator issued the PCN correctly, and I must allow this appeal. As the appeal has been allowed, there is no need to consider any other grounds of appeal.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I like this, sensible stuff from Steve MacAllan; some POPLA Assessors don't just copy & paste:
    The appellant has provided photographic evidence of the presence of parking signs belonging to The Range which advise that vehicles may be clamped. This introduces confusion over who the parking contract is with. I would also note that the clamping of vehicles of private land is illegal in England and Wales.

And nice to see a win like that achieved without a thread needed on here chewing over minor details - nice work! :)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Is there any sanctions which cn be applied to the PPC?

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • incar999
    incar999 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Successful appeal to POPLA...... non-illuminated signs in unlit carpark !

I'm posting here to hopefully help anyone who is appealing to a PCN on the basis of non-illuminated signs in an unlit private car park. ( see thread for more details - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5786763#topofpage )

In summary, I received 3 PCN's for parking without a ticket. I appealed on the basis that their signs were not illuminated and the car park is unlit during the hours of darkness. I appealed to Britannia with the standard template made available on these forums. Britannia rejected my appeal and provided me with 3 x POPLA codes.

I then wrote my appeal in my own words and provided photographic evidence to support my appeal. This was sent to POPLA who communicated with Britannia.

All 3 of my appeals have won as I have been informed by POPLA that Britannia do not wish to contest any of my appeals.

The following link will take you to a copy of my appeal (personal info removed)...... I hope it helps anyone needing to appeal. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wccq5zonz4whcp/redacted.pdf?dl=0

Genuine thanks to all who offered helpful advice in my thread..... and to those who didn't...... "what goes around....usually comes around"
  • Labinopper
    Labinopper Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey guys, just to let you know I've had an uncontested win against ParkingEye for the Southampton Town Quay car park (Red Funnel Car Park) primarily based on relevant land / harbour byelaws.

I did add abit about how I'd requested certain information (from the standard appeal template on the main thread and it was totally disregarded and I received an automated rejection letter) so I challenged the appeals process, pointed out that ParkingEye have the responcibility to provide evidence of signage and not me, that ParkingEye have cash meters which are presumably collected on a regular basis and that Due Dilligence would imply that Parking Eye maintain documentation that their signage is visible on a daily basis, or however frequently they empty their parking meters...

Will post up my appeal if anyone wishes to use it. (Some may be old / irrelevant I left it until day 28 so had to rush something through so perhaps not what the experts here would have done)

Appeal is at: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74260638#post74260638
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Labinopper wrote: »
    Hey guys, just to let you know I've had an uncontested win against ParkingEye for the Southampton Town Quay car park (Red Funnel Car Park) primarily based on relevant land / harbour byelaws.

]

GOODS NEWS :beer::beer:

I seem to recall that Parking Eye has tried this little trick
    before at the same site.

So when they try it again, it can be put down as a
    Parking Eye SCAM
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    PE know they're stuffed on Keeper Liability here, but would be more than content to take the keeper's money if they were totally naive about PoFA - and the vast majority are - so they won't lose sleep over the few that rumble them. And that must be a premeditated strategy on their part.

Well done on seeing through the ruse!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure