Car Insurance Help

Comments

• rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you were the victim of a ghost broker situation, did you even have a policy which has been cancelled?

I wonder if the OP even needs to make a declaration that they had a policy "cancelled" - what are the views of other forum members who are actually knowledgeable on insurance, not armchair experts.

In the original thread, this all came to light due to a claim so it looks like DLG are on the hook as the RTA insurer, but I'm guessing...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • Sham,

Direct Line won't give you another policy or continue to offer cover if, on the basis of the correct information, you are and always have been outside of their Underwriting criteria.

Unless you go to the police and treat it like the crime I think Direct Line will still see this as you making either reckless or intentionally fraudulent misrepresentations in applying for the policy. I think reporting it to the police and going back to Direct Line on the basis that you have both been mutually defrauded is your only hope to move this along.

Another thing to consider - you have a quote at around the £4.5k area from my recollections. Have you run a quote on a comparison website to see what your best quote would be on the assumption that you have not had a policy cancelled? The reason I ask is that £4.5k wouldn't be an unusual premium for many of the key postcodes in which I operate (particularly for a 17 year old student.) All this might just be a big waste of time if the best quote you can ever possibly get is £4k and you can't afford it.

What rates were you getting before you went to this ghost broker? Were the rates you had so unaffordable that you would not have been able to afford insurance other than at the rate offered by the ghost broker?
    Lloyds broker working in Private Clients and Property Owners.

Looking to help and be helped.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Sham,

Another thing to consider - you have a quote at around the £4.5k area from my recollections. Have you run a quote on a comparison website to see what your best quote would be on the assumption that you have not had a policy cancelled? The reason I ask is that £4.5k wouldn't be an unusual premium for many of the key postcodes in which I operate (particularly for a 17 year old student.) All this might just be a big waste of time if the best quote you can ever possibly get is £4k and you can't afford it.

?
    Although this is sound advice from a practical perspective, you need to be very careful if you do this. If you use your real details and run quotes on comparison sites with and without the cancelled policy, you will trigger anti-fraud systems at many insurers and could end up making your situation worse.

Always use dummy info if you are going to play about with quotes online - especially for something as serious as a cancelled policy...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • ShamA29
    ShamA29 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I ran a quote a few days ago with and without, and the cheapest I got was around £2500. So almost a whole £2000 cheaper.

I'll report it to the police this week definitely. What do I need to give them? I have the Ghost Broker's number and the social media account they run. I do have some bank details too for him.

So, are you saying that if I report the incident (which I will) Direct Line might remove the void from my record?
  • ShamA29
    ShamA29 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    rudekid48 wrote: »
    Although this is sound advice from a practical perspective, you need to be very careful if you do this. If you use your real details and run quotes on comparison sites with and without the cancelled policy, you will trigger anti-fraud systems at many insurers and could end up making your situation worse.

Always use dummy info if you are going to play about with quotes online - especially for something as serious as a cancelled policy...

If I use dummy info but use my house address, will that cause any problems? Realistically I'll have to use my house address to get an accurate quote won't I?
  • Hi i just need some advice please i was involved in a car accident (my fault) and when checking my points on my licence (i have non) I noticed that i!!!8217;ve given my car insurance the wrong date for how long i have held my licence for (by about 6 years)!! I can!!!8217;t believe i!!!8217;ve done this mistake!! Will this affect my policy and will i be in leagal trouble? Thank you
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Contact your Insurers straight away and notify the error

The worst case scenario is an admin charge for correcting the error

If the change alters your premium then that will have to be dealt with too
  • Thank you so much for your advice i’ve just rung them and all sorted! I actually got a £16 refund and it won’t affect my claim!
  • What relevance have your comments to this young mans dilemma ? Why don't you offer him advice rather than admonishing him on the irrelevance of the "wants" or "needs" of having to use a vehicle ? I'm sure he really appreciates the fact that, at his age, you used to use public transport, but I don't see any relevance in that, to his needing to use a car, do you ?
    Offer relevant advice, I think your missing the whole ethos of the site when you state comments such as what you have, they were of no help to that young man at all and to be quite truthful, I feel rather embarrassed being a member of the older generation (59) when I read comments such as yours that bare no relevance to the subject matter and in no way help the person seeking advice, so thanks for that !
  • There's no need to try and justify your needs or wants to someone in the desire to use a car my friend, that person offered nothing to you in the way of advice, rather he admonished you on the " NEED " to run a vehicle, you were seeking advice, not a lecture on how to conduct your own affairs, take no notice and don't seek approval for what you decide is right for you, if that person can@t offer any constructive advice, he should shut up and read a newspaper instead, my apologies to you young man on behalf of the older generation, good luck with your search and I hope you get a good outcome.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback