Car Insurance Help

Hi all

So I recently added a new thread about my situation. Long story short, I'm a 17 year old male and a victim of a Ghost Broker. I've been left uninsured with a void policy on my record.

I'm in dire need of my car, but until I'm insured I dare drive it (blatantly it's illegal and possibly extremely expensive).

So I wanted to get some advice from you guys. Anybody know a broker I can use to get insured? Best price I've got so far is £4315 with 'Acorn Insurance'. 'My Policy' quoted me £9500, and 'Be Wiser' quoted me £10,000. You can probably guess that at 17 there's no way I can afford these quotes.

Thanks in advance for any comments, hopefully someone knows a way I can get insured.

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    With a voided policy on your record you'll struggle to get cheaper insurance. The reason the likes of My Policy and Be Wiser quote that much is because they don't want your custom.

Try some of the companies who are not in comparison sites.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2018 at 11:20PM
    OP, I can understand your frustration, but I'm not clear on why you are, "in dire need of [your] car". I read your previous thread too and saw nothing in that which told me why you absolutely had to run a car. What I saw was that you wanted to run a car, and that it would be more convenient for you to run a car, but these are not "dire needs". Lots of people cannot afford to run cars and manage perfectly well by using public transport. When I was your age, I too used public transport, including, when I went to university, travelling the c.130 miles between university and my parents' house at the beginning and end of term. Perhaps I am missing something that you haven't yet revealed, but if not then you do not need to run a car, you want to run a car, and these are not the same thing.

I wish you well with your search for insurance, but I suspect that you aren't going to find much available.
  • ShamA29
    ShamA29 Posts: 30
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'll look into the other companies.

In regards to "dire need", perhaps that was an over statement. My reason for wanting a car is simply that public transport has proved unreliable for me many a time. Additionally, with me being 6'6 regular bus use causes me some pain, as I am constantly confined into places too small for me. For instance, on the upper sector of a double deck bus, I can't even stand straight and am forced to hunch. In peak periods, which are my regular times of travel, I'm left with no choice but to stand hunched for a twenty minutes ride into the city center. I know it sounds rather preposterous, but having my own car simply addresses a few problems.

I might wait until July, as I'll be 18 then and perhaps will have a bit more luck. I'd just love to have my car back before University starts. I pray someone can top the £4315

Thanks again
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,804
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you actually discussed this with Direct Line? As I said in the other thread, you were the victim of a crime and had shown willing to pay for insurance and had already paid them [indirectly] a considerable chunk of money. Granted it was less than it should have been due to the scumbag tweaking your details to get a lower premium in order for their scam to work.

But you'd think they might have a little more sympathy (when this is a well know crime scenario) and perhaps be willing to try and recoup their losses on your outstanding claim.

Have you spoken to the Police yet?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,534
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ShamA29 wrote: »
    In regards to "dire need", perhaps that was an over statement. My reason for wanting a car is simply that public transport has proved unreliable for me many a time. Additionally, with me being 6'6 regular bus use causes me some pain, as I am constantly confined into places too small for me. For instance, on the upper sector of a double deck bus, I can't even stand straight and am forced to hunch. In peak periods, which are my regular times of travel, I'm left with no choice but to stand hunched for a twenty minutes ride into the city center. I know it sounds rather preposterous, but having my own car simply addresses a few problems.
    how much would taxi's cost you for your journeys?
  • If you were the victim of a ghost broker situation, did you even have a policy which has been cancelled?

I wonder if the OP even needs to make a declaration that they had a policy "cancelled" - what are the views of other forum members who are actually knowledgeable on insurance, not armchair experts.
  • Sort of reminding me of student days and the idea of a contract being voidable for mistake as to identity (i.e. mistake of fact.) Don't remember a lot from that time but I recall the implications were that a contract could be voided ab initio or would become voidable on the basis that the contract wasn't formed due to a lack of consensus ad idem.

I don't think that that would override the need to make declaration of a previous policy having been cancelled though.

Personally I would try two things:

1. Speak to Direct Line to explain the situation and ask if they could remove the reference to a cancellation/voidance and/or fraud from their records. If Direct Line aren't willing to do this then I would follow that up with the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman, likely paying regard to what is fair would is more likely to see you as the "innocent victim" - especially due to your age/inexperience dealing with insurance.

2. I would probably attempt to start with sourcing quotes on the basis that I had not had a previous policy declined/cancelled, and then would call the Underwriters to see if they were in agreement with me that it was not my fault, and if they would accept that the position that I had not had a policy cancelled. Of course, this will be the case if Direct Line agree to your requests.
    Lloyds broker working in Private Clients and Property Owners.

Looking to help and be helped.
  • ShamA29
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    BooJewels wrote: »
    Have you actually discussed this with Direct Line? As I said in the other thread, you were the victim of a crime and had shown willing to pay for insurance and had already paid them [indirectly] a considerable chunk of money. Granted it was less than it should have been due to the scumbag tweaking your details to get a lower premium in order for their scam to work.

But you'd think they might have a little more sympathy (when this is a well know crime scenario) and perhaps be willing to try and recoup their losses on your outstanding claim.

Have you spoken to the Police yet?

Hi! I literally pleaded to Direct Line for them to allow me to have a policy, but they refused. They're argument was that as a 17 year old male, residence in Birmingham and only having been passed for 3 months, they simply cannot insure me.
    I do feel like they owe it to me to at least remove the void from my record considering I've been scammed.

I'm collating evidence to present to the police as soon as possible. My grandfather passed away a few days ago, so it's already a rocky week.
  • ShamA29
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    how much would taxi's cost you for your journeys?
    Taxi fare would range between £100 - £120 per week.
  • ShamA29
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sort of reminding me of student days and the idea of a contract being voidable for mistake as to identity (i.e. mistake of fact.) Don't remember a lot from that time but I recall the implications were that a contract could be voided ab initio or would become voidable on the basis that the contract wasn't formed due to a lack of consensus ad idem.

I don't think that that would override the need to make declaration of a previous policy having been cancelled though.

Personally I would try two things:

1. Speak to Direct Line to explain the situation and ask if they could remove the reference to a cancellation/voidance and/or fraud from their records. If Direct Line aren't willing to do this then I would follow that up with the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman, likely paying regard to what is fair would is more likely to see you as the "innocent victim" - especially due to your age/inexperience dealing with insurance.

2. I would probably attempt to start with sourcing quotes on the basis that I had not had a previous policy declined/cancelled, and then would call the Underwriters to see if they were in agreement with me that it was not my fault, and if they would accept that the position that I had not had a policy cancelled. Of course, this will be the case if Direct Line agree to your requests.

Is that even possible? Could they remove the reference to the void if I convince them? Any tips on how to actually convince the company?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback