New to investing

Options
Hi all, i am interested in starting to invest, paying in regularly once a month until i retire i am 34 and currently thinking of this as live savings. I have some basic knowledge of how the system works and would like to invest into a fund. I have been looking into Virgin moneys funds and have also looked at Cavendish. Any others that i should look at? Any advice from those who already invest?

Comments

• msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are not intending to draw on your investments until you retire then you should be looking to invest via a pension for the tax benefits plus any matching contribution your employer may offer.

For a general intro to investing in funds take a look at monevator.com
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't be looking at Virgin, very overpriced compared to others and no difference in performance as they're trackers. Even HL is cheaper and that's not hard to beat.

I'd echo monevator as a place to start but don't rush in until you know more
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When are you thinking of retiring? If before age 57, don't put it all in pensions, use an S&S ISA as well.
    If you're a higher rate taxpayer, or your intended monthly investment is large there are extra things to consider.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • louloubelle79
    Options
    In similar boat to you. Aiming to save small sum monthly - applied for a S&S ISA last week with Vanguard. To invest in either life strategy fund or retirement fund. One of my previous threads had other info and advice from people
  • loken152
    Options
    To be honest i am not totally sure when i plan to retire, at the moment 65. I already have a pension with work that i pay into. I would like to have this separate to my pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure