Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• artyclarty
    artyclarty Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Was at my local Lidl today and it has just had its refit. Its a small store so getting round is a little difficult (no gap in the middle of the store any more). I noticed that a few lines have reappeared that have been missing for months.
    - Chickpeas, Kidney Beans and Butter Beans (as mentioned above!)
    - Naan Breads and Wraps
    - Ice cream Cones, Summer bread lines (burger/hotdog buns)
    - Chopped tinned tomatoes
    - 17p lemonade
    - Cocoa Powder

And a few new lines that I am happy to see back
    - Cloudy Lemonade/Ginger Beer
    - Pomegranate/Apple and Elderflower juice (I suspect that this is the same product that aldi used to stock, tastes the same!)

Lines I am still disappointed in
    - Loo roll - a staff member told me that they have changed supplier and now all of the stuff in that area of the shop is made by the same people who stock aldi. I miss the Cushelle!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    artyclarty wrote: »
    - Loo roll - a staff member told me that they have changed supplier and now all of the stuff in that area of the shop is made by the same people who stock aldi. I miss the Cushelle!

Cushelle is currently £1.35 for 4 rolls at Wilko's. I tend to get my loo rolls on anything decent that Wilko's have on special offer as it's usually a bit cheaper than Aldi's.
    Aldi loo roll is decent enough quality if Wilko's have sold out or haven't anything good on offer.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    There may be a shake-up underway with wraps - Lidl had no 50/50 wraps last time I was there, and they had been removed from the shelf label.

The Lidl Mediterranean Herb wraps are very nice (possibly a substitute for Garlic?)

First I was talking about Aldi not Lidl's wraps. Having said that I have tried the herb ones from Lidl. Ok for things that complement the herbs in the wrap.

But I wanted the garlic ones as I like garlic. They are on the shelf label but not the shelf. That's why I was asking if they have been 'deleted' from Aldi's stock line or is it just a local stock control thing in my area.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Cushelle is a false economy. Because it's a much thicker paper there's less sheets on the roll. Plus, out of habit, people tend to just pull off a load of paper each toilet use before realising it's thicker.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How do you know that ?
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another price rise in Aldi on the Buttery Spread to £1.69. It cost £1.29 at the start of the year and isn't far off the price you can get branded spreads from other supermarkets.

Cheese has dropped back down in price though to £1.59 from the £1.75 it was for a few weeks. Not as cheap as £1.49 earlier in the year though for 350g.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Cushelle is a false economy. Because it's a much thicker paper there's less sheets on the roll. Plus, out of habit, people tend to just pull off a load of paper each toilet use before realising it's thicker.

Should I be worried that you appear to have been studying other peoples toilet habits ?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    dlusman wrote: »
    Should I be worried that you appear to have been studying other peoples toilet habits ?

Some questions are probably best unasked. :)

I tried Lidl Thai Red Curry this week, and it was probably the best readymeal I have had in years (not that I am a frequent flier). Chilled (and I was).

The sauce was spicy and creamy, with plenty of lean chicken and various appropriate veg. Quite hot, spice wise.

Unusually, even the rice was good - fluffy sticky rice, possibly moistened with coconut milk (or something similar).

Very impressed, and at £1.59 not that expensive, either. Need to try it again to see how consistent it is.

The only disappointment was that with such a spicy dish, there really is no need for 1.7g of Salt, because no one will be able to taste it.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    dlusman wrote: »

To be honest if you are paying the bills, you always study people's habits.

That's how you make economies. :D
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    robin58 wrote: »
    To be honest if you are paying the bills, you always study people's habits.

That's how you make economies. :D
    But you cannot make a general statement about the population based on a sample of one household
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure