PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• Quite a few houses in the area I am looking have been sold stc and then re-appear on rightmove a week or two later, some 2 or 3 times. Sadly none of the ones I am interested in / can afford to buy :(

Reading all of your stories on here of eventually finding the right house gives me hope though :) maybe it will be my turn next.
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 7:31PM
    Well, i had my second viewing and took a different family member. Just had a really unsure feeling, half exciting but then dread at buying a property with so many unknowns. It wasn't a full renovation project, but it would need new kitchen / bathroom (bathroom was tiny upstairs), new gutters, radiators, new plugs (only 2 in the kitchen / lounge) and then under the stairs there was a small w.c!! some features were lovely, just what i want. On looking at back of house I could see patches of cracks and parts where render had completely blown out. This scares me!!!! I automatically think it's a dodge house!
    So i told agent today I'm not making an offer, as said i was going to on viewing, and then later in day it came up as sold. So this property is now out of the picture. Felt relieved a bit to be honest.

Also, when i ask estate agents showing me around, basic questions about the house - they have not a clue. Nothing about boiler age, roof, how old house is, wouldn't tell me the price it was reduced from last month (wouldn't show on property bee). Also they say theres been an offer, I ask how much and they say we can't say. Is this normal????
    Does a house with cracks etc put you off? Feel i am being stupid disregarding houses so early on..

I am never going to find a house at this rate.
  • pollyannaL wrote: »
    Well, i had my second viewing and took a different family member. Just had a really unsure feeling, half exciting but then dread at buying a property with so many unknowns. It wasn't a full renovation project, but it would need new kitchen / bathroom (bathroom was tiny upstairs), new gutters, radiators, new plugs (only 2 in the kitchen / lounge) and then under the stairs there was a small w.c!! some features were lovely, just what i want. On looking at back of house I could see patches of cracks and parts where render had completely blown out. This scares me!!!! I automatically think it's a dodge house!
    So i told agent today I'm not making an offer, as said i was going to on viewing, and then later in day it came up as sold. So this property is now out of the picture. Felt relieved a bit to be honest.

Also, when i ask estate agents showing me around, basic questions about the house - they have not a clue. Nothing about boiler age, roof, how old house is, wouldn't tell me the price it was reduced from last month (wouldn't show on property bee). Also they say theres been an offer, I ask how much and they say we can't say. Is this normal????
    Does a house with cracks etc put you off? Feel i am being stupid disregarding houses so early on..

I am never going to find a house at this rate.

It sounds like that house needs a lot of work, it may have been bought by someone who can do the work themselves, who knows what they are taking on. Zoopla shows the history of any price reductions, have you checked on there?

It varies whether agents will tell you what other offers are, some do, but I don't know if they are supposed to. A house with cracks would put me off, though you could get a local builder to take a look and ask their opinion.

I know the feeling of thinking you will never find a house :(
  • Can I join this thread please? :)

We're first time buyers with two young kids moving to a new area.

We found a lovely house we absolutely love BUT it has no parking or ways to make parking and the road outside is double yellows. I still don't think it'd bother me that much - it's walking distance to the town centre and there's a train station, hospital etc too (I'd happily get rid of our car!) - but it's now been on the market for 3 weeks so I'm worried it'll be very difficult to sell on...
  • Can I join this thread please? :)

We're first time buyers with two young kids moving to a new area.

We found a lovely house we absolutely love BUT it has no parking or ways to make parking and the road outside is double yellows. I still don't think it'd bother me that much - it's walking distance to the town centre and there's a train station, hospital etc too (I'd happily get rid of our car!) - but it's now been on the market for 3 weeks so I'm worried it'll be very difficult to sell on...

3 weeks isn't long at all, but it does sound the type of house that would appeal to a limited number of buyers. No parking wouldn't bother me as I don't own a car, but would put some people off. Double yellow lines sounds like it's on a busy road? How quickly have other properties sold on that road?
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    So, i reconsidered the areas that I have abandoned in my house search - lovely 3 bedder but not in a great area. Booked viewing for next week. Drove passed the house today and the Council are building a development for Social Housing on opposite side of street!!!!! The extra traffic of cars and people on the street would be a nightmare. I then saw loads of pics online of local residents appealing decision. Nightmare. This explains why loads of houses have come on for sale and aren't selling on three surrounding roads! lucky escape.

Anyway, cancelled the visit next week. The estate agent i dealt with was so helpful, compared to the others, so fingers crossed I get on this 'magic list of people who get the house before it goes on rightmove...'!!!

I am feeling positive today anyway about it all....
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jlaw4 wrote: »
    I was in exactly the same position a month ago! We put in a number of offers on houses that suited us but all went insanely over asking price and we weren't prepared to go that far! One went as far as £20K over asking despite a house on the same street being £45K cheaper, utter madness. As it turns out a house at the top of our budget back in jan had been reduced by £15K and was relisted... literally around the corner from the over £20k one... we offered and got it! I guess what im trying to say is the pain is awful and disappointment at thinking you are being fair (we offered 6 & 9K over asking and still wasn't enough) but when the right one comes along and it WILL! you will laugh at the mugs thinking they will ever get a profit on a house they paid so much for!

We've offered a shed load more than the asking price on a property to secure it. We know that we are probably overpaying, but we've been looking for 16 months, almost nothing we want is coming up, this one is in a cracking location for us and we didn't want to lose it. We don't intend to move again, so the issue of profit isn't an issue for us. It may seem madness to you, but maybe later in your life you may find yourself in a similar situation.

We can see that we will be very happy living in this house in this area and we just think we're lucky to be able to afford what we have offered.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Not that I'm bothered as we've decided to wait for a while, but the market is now really polarised here. The upper end of the market (properties 300K - 500K) is in reverse gear. Hardly anything new is coming to the market and I've noticed a few properties that sold in the last few weeks are coming back to the market now! On the other hand, there's dozens of ex buy-to-let properties being listed every day which are typically in the 50-200K range. Not many of these seem to be selling despite there being a large pool of FTB waiting (the new build rabbit hutches are still selling like hotcakes), so I wonder if it's a knock on effect of a lack of properties further up the chain...
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Slinky wrote: »
    We've offered a shed load more than the asking price on a property to secure it. We know that we are probably overpaying, but we've been looking for 16 months, almost nothing we want is coming up, this one is in a cracking location for us and we didn't want to lose it. We don't intend to move again, so the issue of profit isn't an issue for us. It may seem madness to you, but maybe later in your life you may find yourself in a similar situation.

We can see that we will be very happy living in this house in this area and we just think we're lucky to be able to afford what we have offered.

Fair enough, but what a strange state of affairs we're in that someone can admit that they're over paying ''by a shed load'' for a property yet still describe themselves as ''lucky''... a whole nation that sounds more like some brainwashed cult followers or victims of Stockholm Syndrome
  • We're looking in East London and I'm confused about where all the real life people selling their actual home have gone! Everything seems to be ex-rental and none are straightforward - either they are still tenanted, or the lease is ridiculously short, or they are on for way over the average value for the area. Currently we are trying to decide between making an offer on a place in a nice area that has tenants and no gas heating but a long lease and would work well practically, or our dream flat that has a lease of only 65 years (just about mortgageable with our lenders but we'd have to pay through the nose for the extension). Would love the opportunity to reject something just because the garden faces the wrong way ��!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure