Recived a county court claim form lowell solicitors for Aqua credit card now what.

Hi I have received a county court claim form taken out by lowell solicitors. The dept was for a aqua credit card a year ago and I have since lost my job and having to claim jobseekers.
Do I have to go online and dispute the claim and send some type of form to Lowell solicitors.
I am not very good at understanding things like this.
The court claim form is dated 12th of April.
Thank you
Andrew

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi,

Yes, strict time scales apply here.

Visit Legal Beagles for help on how to deal with Lowell :

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Received-a-Court-Claim
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi

If you’re thinking about disputing the claim it’s a good idea to respond with the Acknowledgement of Service for now. It gives you an extra 14 days to seek legal advice.

This factsheet gives you an overview of the court process:

www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/replyingtoacountycourtclaim/replyingtoaccj.aspx

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Those two links are the important ones.

Exploring a bit further do you have other debts or just this one?
  • fatbelly wrote: »
    Those two links are the important ones.

Exploring a bit further do you have other debts or just this one?

I have 5 credit cards owning 10k in total.:eek::eek:
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Do you have any defense to the claim? If not then your best bet is to admit that you owe the money, explain that you have no income and offer to get on a payment plan when you find employment. This may at least save you some of the court costs.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I have 5 credit cards owning 10k in total.:eek::eek:

LegalBeagles will help you engage with Lowell to see if you have a defence.

Often the paperwork is defective and you can at least slow things down and get a hearing. You will see lots of Lowell threads on that site.

Legal costs are already in the mix and, if the claim goes further, this should be a small claims procedure where each side bears its own costs.

However...maybe now is the time to look at an overall strategy for your debts and I wonder if a debt relief order would suit you

Basic Criteria for a debt relief order :
    • Must not be a homeowner,
    • Debts less than £20,000,
    • Can have a car worth up to £1000,
    • No other assets of more than £1000,
    • Must have £50 or less left at month end, after all essential payments have been made (not inc debt repayments),
    • Cannot have had a DRO in last 6 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure