Hire car accident - what to do?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Crabman wrote: »
    Loss of business claim sounds odd for a business to be claiming from a consumer.........

No. It's the norm.

Just as innocent third parties can claim any loss of earnings resulting from the actions of the "guilty" party.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    arcon5 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be paying loss of business, your liability in the event of an accident if £500... not £500plus misc expenses

If it was fully comp i'd agree, but it's not.

The £500 excess was on third party cover as i understand it.

But the company lost money due to the driver's negligence so that can be claimed back.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Zudecke wrote: »
    Hmm, so that the insurers can rip people for more money?

She has had 2 accidents in a short space of time.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to view her as a higher risk (whether her fault of not).
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Quentin wrote: »
    No. It's the norm.

Just as innocent third parties can claim any loss of earnings resulting from the actions of the "guilty" party.

It's hardly "the norm" - I spoke with my company's contracted hire firm today and they wouldn't seek such costs from a customer.

In any case, it would have to be proven that there was a further booking that could not be honoured (which would take the dispute into the mechanics of how many available vehicles could be used to honour the other booking) and the specific amount of the loss. It can't be speculative as that would place the hire firm in a better position as a result of the incident.

In which case, why is it rare for claims to be made for raised future premiums as in my previous post? Shouldn't that be the norm too?
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    In any case, it would have to be proven that there was a further booking that could not be honoured (which would take the dispute into the mechanics of how many available vehicles could be used to honour the other booking) and the specific amount of the loss. It can't be speculative as that would place the hire firm in a better position as a result of the incident.

Indeed it's of course possible, but what hire firm would risk committing fraud and ruining their business for a small amount of money.
    All they need to do is provide evidence that they lost regular revenue due to the car being out of commission.
    In which case, why is it rare for claims to be made for raised future premiums as in my previous post? Shouldn't that be the norm too?

Not all insurance companies raise premiums for non fault claims.

No one is able to accurately predict thier insurance premium in say, 4 years time let alone if they'll still be driving the same car, same area, or even driving at all.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 7:58AM
    It's hardly "the norm" - I spoke with my company's contracted hire firm today and they wouldn't seek such costs from a customer.
    ....../QUOTE]

Irrespective of this, (ie.one company's supposed policy), it is the norm for an "innocent' party to claim for loss of profits when a vehicle is off the road due to someone's liability. ( Not just hire cars! Eg taxi)

(Just the same as an individual can claim for loss of earnings)

These costs would be paid by the insurer rather than out of the customers pocket, which may be the confusion
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Quentin wrote: »

Irrespective of this, (ie.one company's supposed policy), it is the norm for an "innocent' party to claim for loss of profits when a vehicle is off the road due to someone's liability. ( Not just hire cars! Eg taxi)

(Just the same as an individual can claim for loss of earnings)

These costs would be paid by the insurer rather than out of the customers pocket, which may be the confusion
    No. You would have to show that any losses were absolutely cast-iron, not just "Well, we would have done these jobs and made this profit". You would also have to show that the losses could not have been mitigated - hiring a vehicle would not have made the jobs possible.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    Zudecke wrote: »
    Given the hire car companies insurance will be activated for the claim, what does her own car's insurer have to do with it?
    Until a few years ago, when forming a contract of insurance there was a concept of "utmost good faith", which meant both parties were legally obliged to disclose information which may affect the risk without being specifically asked by the other party. This is different from all other contracts and goes back to a legal case 250 years ago (Carter vs Boehm if anyone wants to read about it)

It still applies when businesses arrange insurance but the law was changed for consumer insurance contracts a few years ago so the insurer has to ask the question and not rely on the consumer being honest (sad day when the law acknowledged that the typical punter will lie, whether by omission or untruth, to get a "deal" on their insurance).

Having a recent claim materially affects the risk of their being a further claim and there is actuarial data to back that up, so the insurers want to know as they may not accept the new level of risk and decline to quote, or impose a higher premium.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Dr_Crypto
    Dr_Crypto Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Out of interest if one were to have a prang in a hire car overseas should it still be reported to one's own UK insurer? Say it was a low value scratch or the like?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Dr_Crypto wrote: »
    Out of interest if one were to have a prang in a hire car overseas should it still be reported to one's own UK insurer? Say it was a low value scratch or the like?
    What is the question the insurance are asking? How do you answer it honestly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure