How to install a dishwasher in this kitchen?

13»

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    SephirothX wrote: »
    Further update. I have managed to remove the kitchen cupboard myself. I can confirm there is an electrical socket behind it.

Spoke with a lad at work about the pipework, looks like I will need a plumber or attempt to split the pipe myself. He reckons it's easy and showed me how to do it but I'm not too confident with that.

Not a great idea to have the socket directly behind the dishwasher. I would move it to the cupboard under the sink.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2017 at 11:28AM
    Not a great idea to have the socket directly behind the dishwasher. I would move it to the cupboard under the sink.

As per pictures water is easy connected with the plastic adaptor and there is existing spigot for waste, Great.

Water can be turned of at washing Machine valve should be similar to this link. http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231 Unscrew washer hose and connect Y piece, washer reconnect to one dishwasher to other.

But as above, the dishwasher is being built in? There would be no way to isolate power if socket is behind.

Is there not a switch above the worktop that controls the socket

Perhaps running a short extension from socket to under sink would be better?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5689732
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • SephirothX
    SephirothX Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    EssexExile wrote: »
    That's not what you need. Get the plastic one & let the installer fit it, it'll only take seconds. It won't leak.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-y-piece/81000?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-plumbing-_-washingmachineypiece

Oh, I thought they were essentially the same thing. I will return the item I bought since I haven't tried to install it, and instead buy that one.

Are you sure an installer (IE Currys or Tesco Direct) will install that Y piece for me?
    As per pictures water is easy connected with the plastic adaptor and there is existing spigot for waste, Great.

Water can be turned of at washing Machine valve should be similar to this link. http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231 Unscrew washer hose and connect Y piece, washer reconnect to one dishwasher to other.

But as above, the dishwasher is being built in? There would be no way to isolate power if socket is behind.

Is there not a switch above the worktop that controls the socket

Perhaps running a short extension from socket to under sink would be better?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5689732

I think I'll just leave the plumbing connection to the installer if they will do that for me. I'll buy the part EssexExile suggested.

Regarding the electricity, yes there is a switch above the worktop that controls the socket. Same way the washing machine is wired up. I think that is fine?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    SephirothX wrote: »
    Are you sure an installer (IE Currys or Tesco Direct) will install that Y piece for me?
    I'm not "sure" but it will take them seconds. If they're in any way prepared they'll have one with them but I wouldn't risk it.The electrics are fine.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • SephirothX
    edited 3 April 2017 at 12:01AM
    I'm not "sure" but it will take them seconds. If they're in any way prepared they'll have one with them but I wouldn't risk it.The electrics are fine.

Awesome. So I guess all I need to sort now is the door/drawer. I have the plates to fix them together but not the tools to make the holes! I have a drill but I need to go out and buy a small enough drill bit tomorrow and some screws.

Oh and it turns out Currys actually charge £90 for an installation, not £25. I was wrong. The £25 is for a non-integrated dishwasher!
  • SephirothX
    edited 17 April 2017 at 8:38PM
    My dishwasher arrived on Friday and I have been trying to install it this weekend. I have done everything except the water connection.

It turns out that Y piece connector I bought is a pile of crap. First attempt at fixing it I was getting a leak from the dishwasher connection. Second attempt it is leaking from where it fits on to the water pipe. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Tempted to buy a brass one off Amazon.

Edit: Just tried again and it isn't leaking this time. I wonder if I can trust it...
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Our kitchen is old, integrated appliances were not so popular back then.

However, we did not want the dishwasher to stick out so we used a 650mm deep worktop on that side of the kitchen and set the units forward from the wall by 50mm, works well.

Exactly what I'm going to do with my boiler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure