Wine sales discussion

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    suiko wrote: »
    Laithwaites are a hugely succesful hype machine. Through a deluge of advertising, they are remarkably adept at making their many customers believe they are getting unique, small-production wines from "the vintage of the century", when the actual wines are for the most part poor quality and picked up for a song. Still, you have to take your hat off to them for the success of it all.

And your evidence?

All I can say is that I almost always enjoy the wine I buy from Laithwaites, and I am generally a discriminating drinker.
  • evomedia
    evomedia Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 24 September 2010 at 12:05PM
    Originally Posted by suiko
    Laithwaites are a hugely succesful hype machine. Through a deluge of advertising, they are remarkably adept at making their many customers believe they are getting unique, small-production wines from "the vintage of the century", when the actual wines are for the most part poor quality and picked up for a song. Still, you have to take your hat off to them for the success of it all.
    And your evidence?

All I can say is that I almost always enjoy the wine I buy from Laithwaites, and I am generally a discriminating drinker.
    I'd also question you on that suiko, I've had so many great wines from Laithwaites, there are plenty on there that are very highly rated by robert parker and I trust his ratings more than a random comment on here. They just won the large independent retailer of the year award for their wine selection so simply can't be that bad, and at least have honest customer reviews.

Obviously not every wine is to everyone's taste but there is plenty of wine that I far prefer to anything I've found down the supermarket. Personally I particularly like the domaine dampt vieilles vignes, a lovely petit chablis.

Just seems you like buying wines on offer suiko that are heavily discounted but actually want fine wine from the top vintages :) Laithwaites sell Cristal at £130 a bottle maybe thats the one for you...or maybe cloudy bay, surely you can't dispute thats a real classic. But this is hardly the place to discuss for who sells the best fine wine, it was just a post on decent discounts on some nice wine, personal problems you seem to have with retailers is a little overkill for a page designed to just say what wine offers are out there.

If you don't like supermarkets, you dont like Laithwaites that just won an award for its wine range (including cloudy bay, Louis Roederer, krug, fine wines etc)...what do you suggest people do? drive to the south of france and spend 6 months searching for a producer you do like? Its hardly helpful to just complain about every offer that gets posted here
  • suiko
    suiko Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2010 at 2:56PM
    I almost never buy wine at supermarkets, with the exception of Waitrose. I buy most of my wine at independent wine merchants, many of them over the Internet. I used to buy from Laithwaites too, but got bored of the wines. I know they have a lot of loyal customers - I guess what I'm saying is that the overall quality is not IMO much higher than the supermarkets, and that I'd recommend trying stuff from good independent merchants. The difference can be very clear.

Best thing anyone genuinely interested in wine can do, IMO, is to join The Wine Society.

I should point out that I tend to disagree with Mr Parker about wine, as I dislike international-styled, high-alcohol wines and value regional style and typicity. I do buy plenty of bin-ended stock and wines at reduced prices, but certainly have a deep mistrust for the supermarkets' spurious pricing of supposedly grand £10 or £12 wines at a fiver - in 99% of cases they're only worth a fiver anyway, if that!
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    evomedia wrote: »

If you don't like supermarkets, you dont like Laithwaites that just won an award for its wine range (including cloudy bay, Louis Roederer, krug, fine wines etc)...what do you suggest people do? drive to the south of france and spend 6 months searching for a producer you do like? Its hardly helpful to just complain about every offer that gets posted here

Does it really matter what's on the label or how much it costs? At the end of the day if you like it buy it and drink it! :beer: As in any walk of life the cost range is immense and you just have to find the best you can afford, but most importantly what you like.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I posted this on the Tesco Clubcard thread, but got no response, just wondered if anyone here might know the answer, thanks.

I ordered some wine from Tesco to take advantage of the 50% off and the 500 clubcard points (using the code XXDLGV on checkout - given in Martin's weekly email), however, my receipt only shows 90 points having been earned. Does anyone know if the points get added at a later date (like those added if you open one of their savings accounts when the offer's on), or should it have appeared at the time of placing the order?
  • Gondola Wine deal is better (than existing £10 off £50 spend already posted) going via QUIDO you get 8% back anyway but in addition there are 2 vouchers valid up to 30 Sept.

£20 off £70 spend or £100 off £400 spend - must register with QUIDO for these.
  • I ordered the two cases of half price wine from tescos and got free delivery but the code did not work for the 500 extra points and when I phoned them they said you have to receive the code personally to use it. Any more info on this. As obviously by then I had ordered and paid for the wine! thanks
  • For 1 week only starting 29th Sept you can get 25% off wine if you buy 6 or more bottles in one transaction.
    Thats 20% more than normal and it is valid on wines already discounted.
    Start stocking up now
    :beer:
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I ordered some with some shopping as I had a £10 off voucher come in on my e mail also and it says the discount is applied at point of delivery so I have paid for it so far without the discount - is this correct guys?
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • Spotted a new offer today,The cracking little wine company crackinglittlewinecompan offering 20% off all orders but runs out end october,just found it trawling the web but be advised this is the higher end of the market.

regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport