Veggie and Vegan Rant

Comments

• JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So you are assuming that when a vegan/veggie invites me to theirs for a meal they have made the assumption that I enjoy eating a meal with no meat -- I don't, but I wont get asked.
    Granted I wouldn't go a second time.
    To me its wrong to expect me to make adjustments for you but not have the same courtesy in response

I dont care what peoples beliefs,politics,lifestyle choices are etc but dont inflict them on me an or inflict them on me but not be prepared to reciprocate
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was veggie for some time - on ethical grounds...it is much easier these days to source food ethically, and so I am an ethical-omnivore.

I still enjoy veggie and vegan food - Mum's chickpea and mushroom curry is the BEST!

I would certainly spot a veggie sausage/burger if you served it to me....and I have yet to find a decent vegan fake-bacon...Some veggie bangers are really tasty, not the same texture/taste as a regular banger but good enough that I choose them from time to time...my fave are Cauldron.

It's a lot easier these days to accommodate various dietary preferences. I still recall the days that EVERY dinner party had Stuffed Pepper as the veggie alternative...and most restaurants offered the same! With a veggie lasagne for the more adventurous places!....I rarely eat out these days, but when I do, I always checkout the veggie options as well as meat/fish choices.

I have NEVER had anyone 'trick' me into eating meat when I was veggie...nor into eating vegan now that I am omni....I would be furious with anyone trying to get me to eat something I wasn't expecting - I am sensitive to certain foods and try hard to avoid allergic reactions....

On the topic of allergies - I suppose the OP would want to rant against those unreasonable people who ask if there is any peanut in their food!
  • I thought you invited people to dinner because you like them and enjoy their company. We eat meat, but not every day and would only serve food that everyone could eat, rather than cooking different things for different guests. It’s not really that difficult.
    Wow, someone on this thread that actually thinks about others! :T
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nothing wrong with a couple of snorkers and best back with the outlaws come around with their vegan ideals!

Snorkers! good-oh
  • TeamPlum wrote: »
    As a vegetarian, the only people who bring up meat/veggie issues are insecure meat eaters in my experience.

'I couldn't live without meat' - it's alright, no one is asking you to.

If you're daft enough to get tricked by a vegan sausage, you must be as thick as the mince you're desperate to enjoy.

Stop being such a snowflake and accept people live differently to you

That's because everybody else is too polite to tell you - or they don't want another "difference of opinion".

Funnily enough, my wife and I are agreed that one of our best dining out experiences was a vegetarian one. But...she regularly goes out with some vegetarian friends to a highly regarded vegetarian restaurant... and tells me the food is not good.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We invited a few vegetarians to our wedding. The invites stated a hog roast dinner with diets catered for. One of the veggies had the audacity to approach my wife on her wedding day to highlight she thought it disgusting we had a pig slowly cooking in the corner of a room with vegetarians in attendance. I quickly pointed out she was only in attendance because she made the choice to come. Of course this veggie has since realised she isnt actually veggie at all. The real veggie (lifer) was very grateful for the invite and thanked us for providing a lovely (meat free) meal for her.

The real veggie is married to a good friend. Theyre both happy to cook for each other and are happy to cater for each others dietary preferences.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    JamoLew wrote: »
    So you are assuming that when a vegan/veggie invites me to theirs for a meal they have made the assumption that I enjoy eating a meal with no meat -- I don't, but I wont get asked.
    Granted I wouldn't go a second time.
    To me its wrong to expect me to make adjustments for you but not have the same courtesy in response

I dont care what peoples beliefs,politics,lifestyle choices are etc but dont inflict them on me an or inflict them on me but not be prepared to reciprocate

I would never expect a vegetarian to cook meat for me, and would hope that they cooked up something tasty. But then again I am going for the company not the food.

Would you put not having meat for one meal ahead of friendship?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I enjoy trying a different food so am happy to have vegetarian food just as I would enjoy trying a new meat dish.

Neighbours recently invited us for a meal. The served very nice vegetarian food but also provided burgers and sausages for those who wanted them.

My son and dil have vegan friends. They bring their own food when they go to some one else's house.

Why so anti vegetarians and vegans?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2019 at 8:37PM
    After going vegan for a month, which wasn’t too hard, what mostly stuck with me is how nasty , and ignorant , many people are on this subject:rotfl:
    Would you suggest a sausage that doesn’t contain meat would be better if described as a herby breadcrumby chilli cylindrical object for eating

That old chestnut of an argument isn’t even vaguely amusing
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    JamoLew wrote: »

Inflicting carrots. Lol.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family