Barking mad relatives!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    So you're expected to kick out your lodger to house a !!!!!!!!!!? I'd tell her to fcuk off
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The only word you're looking for is 'no'.
    Practice saying it in front of a mirror.
    (unless you're happy to have a freeloading niece and child staying with you for the next 5 years).
    I've revised my opinion.

Substitute my suggestion with GlasweJen's. :rotfl:
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 May 2019 at 10:23AM
    Only emphasises what you said earlier Pollycat
    Your Aunt is not 'barking mad'.
    She is a rude, thoughtless, presumptuous person.

.. except substitute "thoughtless" with "nasty and selfish" because there's obviously a lot of "thought" aka scheming gone into this.

Ps also seems pretty clear that the "innocent wee lass" is a lot more manipulative and scheming than OP has given credit for.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Gosh, this gets worse and worse .... stand by your guns and say NO. If you feel that just one word won't get through, then just say that you can't evict paying your lodger because her rent pays most of the mortgage.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Gosh, this gets worse and worse .... stand by your guns and say NO. If you feel that just one word won't get through, then just say that you can't evict paying your lodger because her rent pays most of the mortgage.

I wouldn't give people like these relatives any reason - they will try to find ways round the issue so that you can follow their plans.
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Now Auntie knows you have a lodger and not the spare room she thought you had.....where does she propose wee lass sleeps? Or is she thinking you'll kick out a paying lodger for a free loading realtive? Insane.

It's stories like this that make me question how many nutters there are living amongst us. I mean who sits down, thinks it through....and then thinks any of her communications or actions are in any way acceptable. After words fail me, the following ones would be no, and then f**k off as others have said.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 May 2019 at 1:21PM
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I wouldn't give people like these relatives any reason - they will try to find ways round the issue so that you can follow their plans.

Just saying 'no' probably won't cut it here - OP needs to be firm, and briefly say 'no, because I can't manage without my lodger's rent. Just 'no' leaves the door open for more wrangling.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Just saying 'no' probably won't cut it here - OP needs to be firm, and briefly say 'no, because I can't manage without my lodger's rent. Just 'no' leaves the door open for more wrangling.
    I'd say 'no' (or more likely go GlasweJen's route ;)), give no reason and not engage with this woman any further.
    I'd be inclined to return the letter with no comment.

I'm sure that whatever reason/excuse the OP gives, this woman will keep coming back.
    To shut the door without engaging with this woman (literally and figuratively) and ignore her will have more impact - imho.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Whilst not strictly the same years ago I remember my aunt complaining we never visit, this was back growing up when parents went without food to feed me and said we can easily come down as we don't work and we chose just not to, if anything my mother was upset as she hadn't seen her father in years who lived in same town. What upset my mother also was aunt had a expensive caravan she travelled UK with and never bothered to visit us even if she stayed in campsites not far away.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Tell aunt you cannot afford to have niece and baby living there for free. Ask
    aunt would she mind sending you x thousands of pounds upfront so you can afford to do so.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • supermezzo
    supermezzo Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'd opt for a simple, polite and repeated 'No'. Gives them no room to wrangle or find a 'solution' to whatever problem you lay out before them. It also outs paid to drawn out conversations - repeated discussions will only keep their hopes alive.
    It aint over til I've done singing....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport