PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 January 2018 at 12:32PM
    Pollycat, I'd do just the same; it's amazing how long live yogurt does stay perfectly OK. We tend to buy & use the 1l. pots of Fage, which occasionally get lost at the back of our larder fridge (bought when we had 7/8 people living in the house; there are still 5/6 of us) & I'll use it up in cooking as long as it smells good & there's no specks of anything untoward appearing on the sides of the pot.

Not much leftover-bashing going on here today, except the peely-pot, in which I boil up all the peelings & cores from the last few days, then pop them into the Wonderbag to stew away all night. The resulting mush gets mixed up with Layer's Mash and fed to "The Girls" for breakfast in the morning. Beak-smackin' good! But I may stew a few of the stored home-grown cooking apples & quinces with some of my left-over mincemeat to make a simple desert for us.
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hello all. Thanks for the new thread, JackieO

OH and I are back from our holiday in the canaries. Proud that we threw very little food away at the end (half a jar of jam and the end of the butter).

Now we are back and looking at what we have in the freezer and cupboards. We are a bit cash poor this month now. The children (21 and 18) didn't come on holiday (their choice) so looking at what they have and haven't used also.

Tonight's tea is three portions of leftover turkey and stuffing for OH, DS and I, with DD having some cauliflower cheese. I will use up the leftover red cabbage as one veg. We are just about to have broccoli soup from the freezer for lunch and OH has cooked a part baked baguette that we also had left over from Christmas.

This week will be a lot of freezer food - partly to save cash and partly to rationalise the stocks,
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Thanks Jackie, very impressive! I won't manage your frugal ways but aiming for 100 max a month for all food, household incl nappies. Do you find home baking cheaper? I love baking but sometimes thinks it's more economical to buy some value biscuits (Although a lot less enjoyable)
    Sealed pot challenge 196
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Subject to confirmation of the booking, I may be in the position of having to empty part of my freezer.
    Why?
    Well, as some of you may know, I'm a carer for a dog-sitting service. Yesterday I had what I call a "meet'n'greet" visit from a prospective new client with her two Cavapoos. These beautiful dogs are fed on the "BARF" diet - Biologically Appropriate Raw Food - which needs to be kept in the freezer. Two dogs, thirteen day holiday...... you see where this is going.
    We could be in for some rather weird meals as I attempt to free up sufficient space, but it could also be an interesting exercise in how we'd fare if I was unable to shop for an extended period.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,581
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Subject to confirmation of the booking, I may be in the position of having to empty part of my freezer.
    Why?
    Well, as some of you may know, I'm a carer for a dog-sitting service. Yesterday I had what I call a "meet'n'greet" visit from a prospective new client with her two Cavapoos. These beautiful dogs are fed on the "BARF" diet - Biologically Appropriate Raw Food - which needs to be kept in the freezer. Two dogs, thirteen day holiday...... you see where this is going.
    We could be in for some rather weird meals as I attempt to free up sufficient space, but it could also be an interesting exercise in how we'd fare if I was unable to shop for an extended period.

Be sure to post your meals on the 'what are you having for dinner tonight' thread so we can vicariously share in your culinary delights. :D
  • MrsPear
    MrsPear Posts: 55 Forumite
    Hi

Can I jump in and ask for ideas - family of 4 with two primary age children. What can I do with left over roast beef? I never waste but I usually just do another roast in a couple of days by warming the meat in the oven with gravy. Anything more exciting?! Around 400g or just under a lb left over. Allergic to lentils strangely.
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
  • Hiya
    Years ago we would have had half of the left overs sliced cold the next day with jacket potatoes and pickles and a stir fry up of any of the left over veg. (Followed by a pudding cooked at the same time in the oven - like a rice pudding or bread and butter pudding. Then on tuesday the rest and last and tattyest bits would be minced up and used to make a shepheard's pie (potato top + carrots and onions in with the mince AND it used p the gravy!) or possibly a chilli bulked out with chopped carrot or some beans to make it into a chilli!

Since then I have also used the meat minced or finely diced to make a filling for wraps fajhita style (I cant spell sorry!)bulked out with YS fried peppers and or little meat and potato patties shallow fried and served with baked beans.:D

Hope these ideas help
    Cheers all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 January 2018 at 9:12AM
    We like cold beef best sliced and re-heated in gravy the next day, it also makes lovely pasties with cooked veg and gravy, makes a very acceptable curry with the appropriate spices, minced it makes a cottage pie and the last few bits completely de gristled/fatted blitzed up with some butter and spices (mace and nutmeg) and gently seasoned makes lovely potted beef to have in sandwiches.

Today I will be making some rissoles for our evening meal using some of the cooked pork and stuffing from our roast yesterday which I'll serve with mixed carrot, swede and potato mash and some winter salad made with some of my big red cabbage and a balsamic vinegar based dressing, I'll cook us some baked apples with dried cherries in (I use big eaters rather than cookers as then I don't need to sweeten them) and we'll have them with some plain skyr. All these things can be made from what I have in the fridge and stores so no outlay for a nice days eatings!
  • Thank you for re-starting the thread Jackie.

I'm afraid we're seeing a lot of good threads being accidentally removed by the spam button - we think people are hitting it on their phones instead of the thanks button.

We're working on a solution.

Keep sharing your food waste saving efforts. We're putting this thread out on twitter :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • I agree with Lyn either mince it up and use to make either a beef chilli or diced up for a curry if minced up and used to make lasagne or sheps pie 400 gms will easily make another meal for four with a bit of bulking out perhaps, try using a handful of oats instead of lentils, or carrot diced up or grated will craftily sneak a veg in to the children who may pull a face at veg :) I treat any meat as though it was gold as the price of it at times it may just well be gold lined .Last night at Dds we had a roast chicken and as the one her OH had bought wasn't that big she extended it a bit with cooking a pound of sausages and it fed 6 of us easily, in fact the left over bits from the carcass will go to make a small curry for three of them with the other two having something different as two of the boys aren't keen on curry so her little clucker has done 6 meals last night and will do another three tomorrow night not bad for a 1.5 kg chicken :) which cost her OH £3.40 I shall bag the carcass to make stock for my soup.

JackieO xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure