Asked to go to work when unwell

2»

Comments

• Hauzen
    Hauzen Posts: 76
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    They require 2 hours notice to be off sick? How is that enforceable?

By determining whether your absence is authorised or unauthorised? There will always be scenarios that would see discretion applied (such as in your hypothetical arm break scenario) but onus would be on the employee to provide appropriate medical certification in any situation to avoid any potential disciplinary action being taken.

Genuinely ill, a GP note will cover it. Pulling a duvet day, it could be misconduct if not reported properly.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Hauzen wrote: »

Genuinely ill, a GP note will cover it.

If I tried calling my GP to say that I needed a medical certificate on the first day of sickness, the answer would be a short "No. You can self certificate for 7 days". With the symptoms described by the OP, the best I would get from my surgery would be a telephone appointment sometime that day, followed by a prescription sent to my local pharmacy.
  • I went to GP on Tuesday as my fever wouldn’t go below 39, and was told it’s a virus and to rest up.

Thursday morning felt much better, like maybe I’d be better by Friday but then, by Friday it was full blown again.

Shame.

Reached out a bit earlier to the area manager who resolved the issue within 20 mins and told me not to go and to rest!
  • Hauzen
    Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If I tried calling my GP to say that I needed a medical certificate on the first day of sickness, the answer would be a short "No. You can self certificate for 7 days". With the symptoms described by the OP, the best I would get from my surgery would be a telephone appointment sometime that day, followed by a prescription sent to my local pharmacy.

...and presumably, with similar symptoms as described by the OP, you would have been able to notify your employer of your sickness within the required timeframe.

If you've to notify your sickness two hours before your shift starts and you only give 30 minutes' notice, the employer would be entitled (if their absence policy so prescribed) to record the absence as unauthorised which they may wish to classify as misconduct. You'd be needing a medical note or some sort of official certification to avoid that.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    The OP posted at around 2pm today (Saturday) and isn't due to be at work until Sunday. Unless the clock has changed, that's a lot more than the required 2 hours notice.
  • Hauzen
    Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    The OP posted at around 2pm today (Saturday) and isn't due to be at work until Sunday. Unless the clock has changed, that's a lot more than the required 2 hours notice.

Well spotted, chocolate biscuit for you.

What you failed to spot however us that my discussion was with ViolaLass on how employers may be able to enforce any sort of time limit on notifying absence. They can, as I've outlined above.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It’s their decision on whether you can be off or not. Not yours. Deal with it.

Oh really?
    So if the OP decides they are too sick to go in and decides not to go in, how does the employer over ride that decision and force them to appear?
    All your base are belong to us.
  • It’s their decision on whether you can be off or not. Not yours. Deal with it.
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Oh really?
    So if the OP decides they are too sick to go in and decides not to go in, how does the employer over ride that decision and force them to appear?

More importantly, what if you have a severe case of upset tummy and diarrhoea and you need to trot to the bathroom every 5 minutes? You would have no other option than to stay off from work? And to be fair most companies require you stay away from the work premises for at the very least 48 hours until symptoms have passed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure