PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just ordered some C0mmand hooks so I can put a material blind on my kitchen door window, and I'm going to be looking at putting a net/new blind up at the window as well as our 'new' neighbours have a kids trampoline (which based on the past 2 weeks they'll be out playing on in hail rain sleet or snow) so although we didn't have total privacy we have even less now and I hate being watched while trying to wash up etc.

Talking material, I'm doing lots of sewing projects atm. Primarily I'm making blankets/American style quilts to go on the beds for that horrible "too cold without, but too hot with a quilt" stage out of old clothing ;) But I'm also going to be lining DS's new curtains as you can see through them atm, switching my curtains out to his old ones (just got to sew some new curtain tape on - it had vintage single row stuff which meant I lost about 3" of material to a frill thing. Not my taste at all), turn some black netting I got on clearance (and in a sale :money:) into a net for his bedroom so he can have more privacy, and all the off cuts I'm producing which are too small to use in a scrap quilt is being kept and will be turned into draught excluder's, and stuffing for door stops etc. I'm also going to look into making a rag rug or two for the kitchen to stand on while washing up and cooking. To buy a washable one to fit would be about £36 (kitchen is so small, two separate door mat style ones would look stupid) so I'm going to have a go making one :rotfl:

Landlady is still trying to find someone to do our bathroom. :mad: I need to chase the latest builder who came out to give a quote, and I also need to chase the man who is supposed to be fitting our new front door :mad: Both blokes have said (to me at least) they can't understand the landlady when she speaks (she's Chinese) so she's started giving me the numbers to chase them up. Not fun when my anxiety means that some days I just can't use the phone. :o
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Work on the “new” wood burning stove continues. I’m buying the parts (chimney, register plate etc) as and when I can afford them.

The new stove was a replacement Morso squirrel as the old one had cracked down the back after 30+ years. The new one was £180 off EBay.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We've the sweep coming on Friday next to sweep our chimney from the new wood burner for the first time, this is when we see if we're running it properly! We're gradually bringing up the tail end of last years wood from the bin downstairs to the bigger bin upstairs which will then be full and we'll order in at least one load of logs to sit and dry for the next burning season.

The charity shop I volunteer in is having a stock sort and putting out winter weight coats and woollies for very small prices as they've been taking up room we desperately need on the rails in the stock room for too long so I'm going to keep an eye open for a long heavy coat and some good heavy over jumpers , big baggy ones to be the top layer in the really cold weather and keep me warm enough to possibly run the stove later in the day than we currently have been. We only run the central heating to heat the water anyway so I'm used to a cooler house but an extra layer to snuggle in will be very nice and help lots.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me of getting the sweep in. In 4 visits he's only had to sweep once, and that was more a precaution as I burn dry and never slumber. Probably a good idea if I have another precautionary sweep this year even if it looks good.

Down the bottom of the garden I must have about 3 year's supply: a store full of splits ready for this winter, a covered stack which needs splitting next spring and a head high pile in a corner. I thought there was no space but someone offered two carloads of ash..

I just need to get a few pallets in to start my kindling store going. Last year I only used about 1000kWh of gas so it's nice to have such small bills, and all the wood is scrounged. Whilst the weather is nice I'll also sit in the sun and sharpen my chains for the saw.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To those of you with log burners, how have you had your fire opening finished? I'm not keen on the painted plaster finish (does it get mucky behind the stove and need repainting often?) not sure if tiles are worth the investment (although easy to wipe down), I like the look of a brick finish but know that might not be possible (unless we go for slips, anyone tried them?) and what about the hearth, what's easiest to clean? I'd appreciate some suggestions.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have lime render around my burner, in an off-white colour. It's fine - the odd dirty mark doesn't show, and it's pretty close to the paint colour of the rest of the room.

My last hearth was slate, which marked badly. This one is marble (old wash stand top!) and also marks, but it was free and I like the colour. Terracotta tiles worked well, and my brother has limestone which is good once sealed. Round here it's difficult to get anything other than black slate or black granite as those seem to be the current fashion.

I have friends who have patterned ceramic tiles in the opening which look very dramatic, but it all depends on your decorating style.
  • Frith
    Options
    Pooky - I have an old cottage so it’s just a bare brick finish. It’s a long but not very deep inglenook.
  • Frith
    Options
    Should have said the red quarry tile floor in the living room just carries on under the stove.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Painted white alcove and black granite hearth. We don't put logs beside the stove so the walls stay clean. The hearth is smooth and easy to sweep and I just wipe it over with a damp cloth before dipping the cloth in the ash to clean the stove glass
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It seems odd to talk about preparing for winter when we are about to have a heatwave. I bought a wool duvet last year and I just adore it. It seems to be self regulating as regards temperature and we kept the winter weight one on the bed quite happily. But I think it will be just a bit too hot in a heatwave so I might splurge on a lightweight one. They will see me out so I see it as an investment purchase. Then I can hang the winter one out to air in the sunshine
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback