Rip in Love film by post

Options

Comments

• MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CEX sells second hand, of course.

In 99.9% of cases is watching Guardians of the Galaxy (or any film) somehow inferior on a second hand DVD to watching a new DVD or streaming it?
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Until streaming services offer the quality and the range of postal services I'll continue to use the postal service. Some people don't care about the quality, that's fine they can get a service suitable for them but I'll too opt for a service suitable for me.

Given that CP is the only company offering this service now I'm sure they'll do just fine. I'm not at all surprised Amazon decided to stop, there is no doubt much higher profits in streaming and I'm sure they did the math to decide the estimated number of lost customers was worth it.

We're still a few years off streams offering bluray quality yet but it'll happen at some point.

You can get 4K quality through streaming so never assume that all streaming is poor.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    4k streaming requires a meaty internet connection though, at a minimum fibre. HD you can get away with 5Mb if its the only thing using the internet.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In 99.9% of cases is watching Guardians of the Galaxy (or any film) somehow inferior on a second hand DVD to watching a new DVD or streaming it?
    My post was in response to someone claiming that they required top quality sources for their "high end system."

The chances are high that second hand discs have scratches etc. As for DVD, that is no longer a top quality medium in an era where we are being offered 4K Blu Ray.

What evidence can you present that "99,9%" of used discs are not inferior to brand new ones?
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My post was in response to someone claiming that they required top quality sources for their "high end system."

The chances are high that second hand discs have scratches etc. As for DVD, that is no longer a top quality medium in an era where we are being offered 4K Blu Ray.

What evidence can you present that "99,9%" of used discs are not inferior to brand new ones?

Even if 99.9% of used discs were inferior, of that number how many are unusable and how many usable? How many in good but not mint condition?

And blu rays rarely get proper scratches due to the coating.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Even if 99.9% of used discs were inferior, of that number how many are unusable and how many usable? How many in good but not mint condition?
    Who knows?
    I certainly wouldn't chance any of them in a "high end system".
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I was sent the first series of a programme so contacted them to ask why when I wouldn't be able to get all the following ones before they closed. They sent me the next three series so lots to watch
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This reminds me of why I cancelled LoveFilm many a year ago. We have a vertical letterbox with sprung flap through which the postie would stuff the DVDs. He'd never push and hold the flap. After the 2nd time that a DVD arrived cracked as a result of bending, and my complaints to LoveFilm about the fact the DVDs were not in rigid cases or packaging, I cancelled. Ironically EBay DVDs will always arrive in decent packaging.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    You can get 4K quality through streaming so never assume that all streaming is poor.

I've tried 4K streaming and the quality isn't even equal to standard Blu-ray Discs. It's the compression required to stream that pushes down the quality, not the resolution.

Don't get me wrong, I want to prefer streaming services, it's clearly far more convenient. However I don't. For the moment there are too many issues for me to use streaming services. When they fix these (and they will, give it a few years) I'll switch but until then I'm happy with the discs.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I've tried 4K streaming and the quality isn't even equal to standard Blu-ray Discs. It's the compression required to stream that pushes down the quality, not the resolution.

Don't get me wrong, I want to prefer streaming services, it's clearly far more convenient. However I don't. For the moment there are too many issues for me to use streaming services. When they fix these (and they will, give it a few years) I'll switch but until then I'm happy with the discs.

Agree that if you don't have the connection speeds then streaming will be an issue. But I have seen 4K on a 65" through sky Q and it's top quality to my eyes.

Quality will always be subjective but we have to remember it's the story telling and visual impact of the actual movie that's important rather than splitting hairs on quality between discs and streaming.

Yes for those who want blue ray discs more power to them but streaming can compete.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure