Interview for Probate?

Options
As an executor of my mum's will I got to an important stage yesterday when I submitted, by hand, the documents at the local Probate Sub Registry. (I decided to do it in person as a result of helpful comments here about the value of a certified copy of the will.) The fellow who gave me the receipt that I asked for, and who obviously did no more than flick through the documents, said that I "should be hearing from us at your email address in a couple of weeks' time about an appointment for interview". Foolishly, I didn't ask for clarification about that at the time.
I have no recollection of mention in this forum, or by other executors anecdotally, of an interview being part of the process, as a matter of course. On re-reading the official notes about probate the only mention of "interview" I have noticed is in relation to the swearing of the oath at a probate office rather than at a solicitor. On PA1 I clearly ticked the first box in question 1 (i.e. "at a solicitor's office"). Am I missing something?

Comments

• Brighty
    Brighty Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    I think he must have meant swearing the oath. I did it at a solicitors and it was a 5min process during my lunch break
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Brighty wrote: »
    I think he must have meant swearing the oath.

I did the "interview" at my local probate registry - Saves having to pay extra to do it at a solicitor's office...

At the PR, they just check your ID and ask you to read the oath. You get the chance to ask any questions regarding the oath, then sign it. Five or ten minutes, and despite the impressions given, a simple process.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    AnaBenjie wrote: »
    As an executor of my mum's will I got to an important stage yesterday when I submitted, by hand, the documents at the local Probate Sub Registry. (I decided to do it in person as a result of helpful comments here about the value of a certified copy of the will.) The fellow who gave me the receipt that I asked for, and who obviously did no more than flick through the documents, said that I "should be hearing from us at your email address in a couple of weeks' time about an appointment for interview". Foolishly, I didn't ask for clarification about that at the time.
    I have no recollection of mention in this forum, or by other executors anecdotally, of an interview being part of the process, as a matter of course. On re-reading the official notes about probate the only mention of "interview" I have noticed is in relation to the swearing of the oath at a probate office rather than at a solicitor. On PA1 I clearly ticked the first box in question 1 (i.e. "at a solicitor's office"). Am I missing something?
    There was a tiome when you had to attend but now you can sign the oath as you requested.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    In the not-too-distant future, you will be able to sign a declaration online rather than swear an oath. Not sure when it changes, but it is fairly imminent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure