Transfering DB to SIPP

Comments

• With 483k you could buy a joint life time annuity at age 55 of 18k a year. Again the current CETV and the pension at age 55 don't seem sensible. If you can get 483k and are conservative an annuity looks like a better option than the pension. Also you might consider taking the CETV and putting it in a savings bond ladder which will give you around 2% at todays rates and you'll be able to take advantage of any interest rate increases as the bonds mature. You might also think about a ladder of fixed term annuities. This you be your fixed income allocation and go 100% equities with the rest of your portfolio.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well I have taken a tentative first step and filled in my first "Risk Questionnaire" as the first step towards getting the advice necessary to convert the DB into my SIPP. I can confirm that it was a lot more sensible than the last one I filled in.

I am not by any means 100% sure I will go ahead but I am certainly leaning in that direction.
  • pip895
    edited 3 October 2017 at 12:51PM
    So far I have spoken to two advisors one over the phone and the other face to face and neither is willing to sign off on a transfer to HL, although they have indicated that they would "probably" recommend a transfer.

Their costs are less than using the HL advisory service but by the time you add additional ongoing yearly costs (platform and advice) they work out more expensive after only one year. Is keeping control of the money a common restriction?
  • Hi
    Been trying to transfer my DB pension this year-missed the initial 3 month CETV window in May (for various reasons) so paid for a 2nd CETV last month and to my surprise the transfer value has increased by 26% as the scheme trustees " were keen to give members a better deal?!"
    So each scheme really has it`s own agenda depending on liabilities moving forward and long term fund sustainability.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So far I have spoken to two advisors one over the phone and the other face to face and neither is willing to sign off on a transfer to HL, although they have indicated that they would "probably" recommend a transfer.

HL is expensive compared to what IFAs have available. They also do not deal with IFAs. So, an IFA could not be giving best advice by using HL.
    but by the time you add additional ongoing yearly costs (platform and advice) they work out more expensive after only one year.

Ongoing advice is optional. If you say you dont want it, they can make an appropriate recommendation on that basis.
    Is keeping control of the money a common restriction?
    There is no such restriction.

Some FAs will have a business model that is totally built around ongoing servicing. However, IFAs cannot insist upon it. Although expect a different recommendation if you do.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    pip895 wrote: »
    Their costs are less than using the HL advisory service but by the time you add additional ongoing yearly costs (platform and advice) they work out more expensive after only one year. Is keeping control of the money a common restriction?

If the adviser doesn't know what the pension's going to be invested in then the advice to transfer out is automatically unsuitable. This point has been established repeatedly in past Financial Ombudsman cases.

So any adviser is taking a massive risk by recommending a transfer, or just signing off on one, if they don't have control over what the money will be invested in at the other end.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,966 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 October 2017 at 4:59PM
    I transferred a similar amount last year.. I paid £2500 including initial consultation - which was in effect free - no ongoing advice charges.

I've helped several others after watching them being told the same justification from the interested parties on here.

PM me if you want the detail - I'm not commercially connected with the IFA ... but it isn't as easy as just ringing up.

And I found more than one who would do it at that price.

Here is one thnx in my PM in-box now..

"Thanks for your help.

It all went fine, we paid £2500 for the signatures of the IFA. The CETV arrived in the SIPP last week.

I did the transfer myself as it seemed less open to fraud.

Ta"
  • pip895
    edited 3 October 2017 at 9:24PM
    dunstonh wrote: »
    HL is expensive compared to what IFAs have available. They also do not deal with IFAs. So, an IFA could not be giving best advice by using HL.

The figures I was given were for Standard life and they were more expensive than the deal I have with HL?? Then I had to pay another 1% ongoing fee to them, for ongoing advice.
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Ongoing advice is optional. If you say you dont want it, they can make an appropriate recommendation on that basis.

Interesting so they would for instance say that the move was "too risky" if I was self managing... Could I still take that report to HL and say "I've taken advice but I have decided to ignore it" or do you have to go with the advice? I have a feeling you do in practice as I seem to remember HL saying that if their advisors were against the move then they wouldn't accept the transfer.

Alternatively could I go along with the advisors suggestion and get a positive recommendation to move but at the last minute divert the money to HL? Would HL be allowed to accept the money even if the recommendation was for it to go to Standard Life?? Or in practice would the DB pension people veto any such move.

The final option is to let the transfer go through to SL and then promptly turn round and say I want to transfer to HL. Seems messy though and there might be charges to do it.

It might be a small percentage of the total monies but I think £4000.00+ is worth fighting for.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi
    Been trying to transfer my DB pension this year-missed the initial 3 month CETV window in May (for various reasons) so paid for a 2nd CETV last month and to my surprise the transfer value has increased by 26% as the scheme trustees " were keen to give members a better deal?!"
    So each scheme really has it`s own agenda depending on liabilities moving forward and long term fund sustainability.
    The scheme trustees " were keen to give members a better deal?!" - I wonder who on earth spun you that line...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure