PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I've just made some yogurt to make some very expensive probiotic tablets go a bit further. I crushed about 10 tablets in a pestle and mortar and added a tablespoon of inulin powder to feed the bacteria. Mixed it to a paste with a bit of milk and then used it as a starter in the ordinary way. It has made a lovely yogurt.

By saving and freezing most of the first batch to use as starters I should be able to get lots of probiotics from one batch of pills. I'm saving some of each subsequent batch I make to start off the next lot (no need for the inulin powder after the initial batch) and that works for about six batches before I have to dig out some of the frozen 'mother' starter. I reckon I'll get a year's worth of yogurt from the pills making two batches a week

I find the secret to making good yogurt is full fat milk with a little dash of extra cream. Making it with semi skimmed has never worked for me even following the advice to add some dried milk powder. That doesn't bother me because I tend to eat moderate fat/low carb anyway
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • We've just sorted the contents of the freezer out, what an eye opener, so as part of preparing for Brexit I shall over the next few weeks before we move use up all the things I've been sitting on in the freezer and take my housekeeping savings to build that store cupboard when I've moved. I should have a nice tidy sum by then to invest as we've discussed earlier in the thread, brilliant!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ooh thanks for that Mary, I will write in my little notebook. I also take probiotics and as you say very expensive. I will certainly give this a try. I tend to buy organic full fat milk anyway, unless my stomach is playing up, then I have to buy the lacto free one.

Now I don't want to bore you all but one of my issues is that because of stomach problems I cannot eat grains, not even rice. In fact rice has me rolling in agony. So I tend to eat a paleo type diet.

Given that theres no point in stockpiling wheat based priducts such as pasta, rice, oatmeal or most flours I shall have to think carefully about what to invest in. Soya is also out.

Food wise I was thinking ......

Oils, fats and butters. I use almond butter quite a bit as a source of protein.
    Herbs, spices, flavourings etc.
    Tinned fruit and veg
    Tinned fish and meat
    Quinoa, buckwheat, almond and coconut flour
    Tea
    Coffee
    Hot chocolate
    Gin.:rotfl:

As well as trying to make yoghurt, I thought about a mushroom kit. I often use mushrooms instead of meat.

For non food items

Toiletries
    Cleaning materials
    OTC meds and vitamins
    Batteries
    Candles

Hot water bottles
    Wind up torch
    Battery powered lighting
    Small camping stove/gas

Bioethanol fuel
    Coal/wood

I'm sure I'll think of other things.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I do almost all of my shopping in Aldi these days, so I have started to wonder to what extent Brexit will affect the chain, since they are German. I know they do buy from as many local producers and manufacturers as possible - which I think is great - but also much is imported from Europe.

I guess it won't affect them any differently that the other major supermarkets, and they do have plans for continued expansion in the UK so they must feel quite positive about the future. I wish I did :(
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think the main issue will be the supply chain. Delays at ports perhaps. So I am pretty confident that any issues with food supply will be temporary rather than long term.

I think - could be wrong of course - that the recent hot weather will be more of a cause for concern to long term food security than Brexit. It isn't just the UK that is experiencing extreme weather, it is global. Floods, droughts, changing weather patterns, unseasonal weather. And we have been warned about this for years.

Whilst Brexit of course will play a role, I am inclined to think that it is only half the picture. The French will still want to sell us their produce, and places like Spain will still be growing fruit and vegetables. I don't think it will be an issue of produce not being available, but that it might be more expensive. But then, in the long run, prices tend to find their own level anyway.

At the risk of sounding all doom and gloom........I think what we might well face, at least in the short term, is a combination of weather related global crop failures and Brexit related delays with supply. A perfect storm.

But with a bit of forethought and planning then we can ride out storms. Inevitably there will be rising prices so I think stocking up on non perishables will be as good as having money In the bank.
  • But - we make gin. It's one of the few things I have no doubt we'll be able to get hold of! I can see there being issues with lager supplies (German is about the only acceptable version in my mind), but I've cultivated a taste for ale in recent years, so I think I'll manage with the two.

Mushrooms from a mushroom kit taste amazing, but they don't work out any cheaper (we grow lots of the things in the UK).

If it all goes the way most things the Government is involved with go :cool:, I think that we'll end up having to eat more locally, as the supply chains will at least be disrupted, if not totally screwed.

Off the top of my head, that means lots more fish that presently is pooh-poohed (Mackerel, Coley, Guernard - which we sell to the French because it tastes lovely but requires some effort in preparing), eggs rather than pork (as most of our pork comes from the EU unless you want to pay higher prices for 'posh' pig), beef's been out of the question for many years for a lot of people due to the price - and if they can't kick the DUP into line, the supplies of Irish beef will be held up for a while at least - which gets us to lamb, as it isn't that much more expensive from here as it is the NZ stuff (if that deal is actually with us rather than through the EU, it'll be OK, if not, well, at least the UK farmers might get a look in), and chicken - as long as we stop wanting sanitised plastic trays of bits, as they usually come through the Netherlands.

You can get big bags of frozen Mackerel fillets from one of the online supermarkets at present, which would have the advantage of being usable throughout summer - and in the winter, fresh are ridiculously cheap if you have no problem with sticking your thumb up its 'arris under the tap to pull the guts and spine out. And kippers/smoked stuff is still cheap because nobody under 40 eats it, along with Herring, cockles, winkles and whelks.

Unfortunately, I'm landed with a fussy beggar who will eat any fish as long as it's white and any shellfish as long as it's a crustacean. I'll be fine for Fishy Requisites, but he'll have to make do with whatever I can get. Which means buying a very large bag or two of his acceptable Marine Lifeforms before the overseas processing and shipping back cycle is disrupted. He's less fussy when he's back home (big fishing port) because the quality available there is head and shoulders (or gills and fins) above the things punted out in the suburbs, but as we're unlikely to be able to move there by April, there's a lot of preparation if I want to eat Real Food.

I'm fine (I think) with grains and pulses, so I'll make sure I have a good supply of the ones we don't grow here - Puy Lentils, Camargue Rice, Kidney Beans, etc - tinned and dry for when we're really skint. I reckon we'll be alright for oats and barley could be making a bit of a comeback. And I will be stocking up on tuna and the essential black olives.

The secondhand breadmaker should be delivered tomorrow, so I'm going to start getting various flours and keeping them securely away from bugs, along with yeast, as sourdough may be easy to do, but it's already a big leap from the generic white sliced that he buys.

I'm most concerned about dairy substitutes - I can't tolerate cows' milk, it makes me feel sick. I'm not sure quite how much of that is the genuine lactose intolerance and how much is the idea that buying it encourages the Badger Massacre, though. But goat and sheep cheese/yoghurt is fine, I'll hope that the general public won't touch them out of fussiness - and I guess I'll have to stick to Oat milk rather than all the other varieties.

Other than that, I noticed the other day that a lot of soap/washing powder is made in France. So a couple of very big boxes when they're on special offer will stop that becoming an issue for some time.

My main concern is that the weekly medication that keeps me functioning as a normal(ish) human being is manufactured in Europe and there's been lots of screwups regarding medical stuff in the press. I don't want to find out that there's a disruption in the supply like I had a few years ago when the one approved manufacturer changed to a better delivery system but the NHS rules didn't allow for permitting the change - without decent arrangements in place, I can't see it being a seamless transition when people are still squawking about how great a No Deal will be. I can't stockpile it, but I think I might just get prescriptions at the earliest point rather than waiting for it to be almost run out/make sure I use up the previous batch before starting a new one if my dosage gets changed.

So, I have

Fish
    Shellfish
    Various fruit & veggies
    - frozen, tinned

Lentils
    Beans
    Rice
    - tinned or dried

Flour, yeast

Sea salt, pepper

Oats, barley, other grains

Meat (not processed meat products other than bacon, black pudding)
    - freezer

Olives
    Olive Oil - one tin should last a year (we can use rapeseed or lard for frying)

Washing Powder

Teabags and filter coffee

A sack of spuds in the cupboard, along with one of onions should last.

Add to that a couple of bags of charcoal for the mini barbecue (invaluable when the oven packed up), a Kelly Kettle and I think we'll be able to muddle through until things either settle down or civilsation grinds to a halt. :)
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Good mention of KELLY KETTLES JO-JO, I've had one for years and they are fuelled by twigs, dry leaves and bits of paper/card etc. and will boil you water for any needs that require boiling water. Very useful bit of kit and we've got a cooking conversion kit with ours which would let you heat tinned things or make scrambled/poached/boiled eggs too. If you don't know what a Kelly kettle is look online and think seriously about the investment. Super fun at pic -nics and in the garden.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    can I just say that I always thank any post that I have read, whether or not I agree with it. Some not to be named person just pm`d me to ask why I had thanked another person`s post. Honestly!!

I so want to start brexit prep, drat, have to wait until I have moved
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    You're better than I kittie, I hardly thank. Even my mates get ignored. I'm hopeless!

I'm prepping but it's just the general 'it's the 6 weeks holiday and it' ll be Autumn before we know it' prep. I suppose a cross between prepardnes and prepping for winter.

Taking what I can deduce from my own garden I do wonder about potato supplies after this season. I've taken up my maincrop and they're decidedly small. I believe (and I may be wrong as I'm a novice) that potatoes stop growing in high temperatures. One worth watching anyway, although not Brexit related.
  • Yes they do FUDDLE but they sometimes start to bulk up when they get some rain, particularly maincrop potatoes.

Thanking people is a personal choice, I thank most because I appreciate their input and it only seems polite, but that's just me.

One thing I haven't seen on the list of things to stock up on is instant mash which is really useful as a carrier for flavours of things you don't have much of. DD1 is involved with D of E at the school she teaches at and it's one of the things they suggest for the expeditions and she adds in tomato ketchup, baked beans, grated cheese and it makes a quick and tasty meal with energy value for the next part of the trek.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback