Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Options

Comments

• elephantrosie
    Options
    The bids (left column) are what people currently want to buy loans for. The offers (right column) are what people currently want to sell loans for.

You can currently buy the following loans on the cheap (offers for less than 100%):

• Basket of British SME secured loans
    • Secured Loan to Vehicle Dealerships
    • Secured Bridging Loan

thanks. ablrate is so not user friendly. i almost gave up.
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    You seem to be confused.

The Personal Savings Allowance (£1000/£500/£0 depending on marginal tax rate) covers interest paying investments such as Gilts and P2P as well as savings and bank accounts.

The £5000 dividend allowance covers dividends that result from owning shares in profitable companies, either directly or through a collective investment, and any tax payable is at a lower rate.

Gains in investments (rather than income from investments) are charged to Capital Gains Tax if they exceed the £11300 (?) CGT allowance.

So as jamesd said "Depends what you mean by investment income."

oh okay okay. sorry i mean 'gain on investment', rather than investment income.
    so anything below CGT allowance is not taxed?
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh okay okay. sorry i mean 'gain on investment', rather than investment income.
    so anything below CGT allowance is not taxed?
    That's right; but remember it's the total capital gains from sales in a financial year, including second houses and paintings and antiques and everything else that's not exempt.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Zopa receive full FCA authorisation, which is a prerequisite to offering an Innovative Finance ISA (IF-ISA).
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And Zopa also announced that initially it will be available only to existing customers. HMRC will probably take a few weeks and I expect that Zopa already have the technology in place so we might see it at the start of June.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    And Zopa also announced that initially it will be available only to existing customers. HMRC will probably take a few weeks and I expect that Zopa already have the technology in place so we might see it at the start of June.

I knew I kept a few £ in there for a reason :)
  • The_Mighty_Gusset
    Options
    jenberry wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could recommend a P2P account for drip-feeding money into every month? I have a lump sum of about £1,000 and have about £500 to put away each month on top of this, ideally for instant/ rolling access or to put away for one year. Any recommendations would be very gratefully received!

Jen

Hi, I've been drip feeding Zopa (Classic) for the last 9 months or so and Fundingcircle (Autobid) for the last 3
    It's early days, but I'm slightly disappointed by the returns from Zopa, and quite impressed by Fundingcircle
    On the other hand Zopa email me every time they receive money from me, and update me every week - If I want to know what's going on with Fundingcircle I have to log in and find out for myself

Hope this helps
    Gus.
  • takesyourchances
    Options
    When I get to the point of adding another P2P platform for higher interest loans, would there be another consideration to go along with Moneything, Ablrate and Collateral? I like how these three operate so far.

These three are keeping me busy at the moment though :)

I withdrew a bit from Ratesetter as it was sitting as the rate was low and it was not invested and I have deposited it to Moneything now. I also had a small balance of cash sitting in Funding Circle so have placed that with Collateral waiting for new loans.

I will think to maybe drawdown repayments from ratesetter and funding circle and add to MT, Ablrate, Collateral etc so any other Platform to consider like the above three for diversifying etc I'd be interest to hear.

Many thanks
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unusually good buying opportunities at Ablrate and MoneyThing at the moment at around 12%.

Ablrate had someone who needed to sell many tens of thousands quickly and that prompted some unusually good deals on their secondary market, the odd one or two newish ones with small discounts and more older ones with lower than usual premiums. Lots available at 12% or more at the moment.

MoneyThing has two new loans of about £1.6 million and £1 million offered over the weekend at 12%. Still a few hundred thousand of those available but as usual when big loans are filling there's a lot of other loans available at 10-12% and sometimes, if you're very fast, 13%, available.

The MoneyThing opportunity will probably end tomorrow when a fairly big loan is due to be repaid; those repaid will buy up anything left available. The Ablrate opportunity will probably last a few days or maybe as long as a week before prices get back to normal. There are possible new loan offers for both places next week that might see a repeat of the chance, we'll see.

Ablrate developers are continuing to work on their ISA, still looks likely to be available in early to mid June.

Declaration of interest: I've still got a few hundred for sale at MoneyThing after swapping out almost all of my under 12% and much of my 12% for 13%. At Ablrate I have a few thousand for sale and it might be at the best price for some loans, after picking up around £10k of a 12% loan at a nearly 4% discount late last week, meaning I'm getting almost 14% interest rate on that 12% loan. :) No longer available, I might have been the last to buy at around that price. So in either case you might end up buying from me if I happen to be the one with the best price at the front of the queue for whatever interests you.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been able to deposit some new money at Moneything in the last few weeks and grab a few loans that I'd not managed to before. I've also managed to sell some short dated 10% loans and swap the proceeds into some longer dated 12% ones as well as selling some scraps to tidy up my loan page. I've ended up with more money on the platform in a more diverse spread of loans which is good.

It taking some willpower not to make anymore deposits as I think I'm at about my current sensible limit for p2p.

ISAs at Ablerate and Moneything would be most welcome as p2p returns will take me well over my PSA this year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback