Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Comments

• masonic wrote: »
    Remember that's a 70% recovery of loan capital, but as this is a recovery from sale of the completed development (valued at £3.1m) it represents just 44% recovery of the purported value of the asset, or 48% recovery of the value of the asset in its condition at last valuation.

I was looking at it as capital prevention (60%+ isn't as awful as it could be) - but yes you do raise a very interesting point. A secured loan going at just 44% of the value which has been endorsed several times or 48% of the latest so-called valuation.

Of course the sub-standard materials used in the latter stages would knock that valuation down, but not by some 50%?!?

Luckily I'm in P2P more for income generation (little of it mind!) than for saving my deposit. As soon as this defaulted (added to Plymouth which I was also in @ £1k ish) I promptly sold off the rest and moved it to Growthstreet. Half the return but a lot lower risk it seems!

I'm hoping Plymouth can be sold off soon (academic year 2018/19 starting!), even if I can get 70% back on that to use towards my deposit it'd be helpful!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Luckily I'm in P2P more for income generation (little of it mind!) than for saving my deposit. As soon as this defaulted (added to Plymouth which I was also in @ £1k ish) I promptly sold off the rest and moved it to Growthstreet. Half the return but a lot lower risk it seems!
    The problem is appearances can be deceptive. I hold a few loans secured on business assets (as a diversifier), even though my most significant loss to date (100%) was in one such loan in which the business assets in question were secretly sold just prior to the loan expiring. So I do prefer loans in which the primary security is not something that can be spirited away, or if it can, it is physically secured out of reach of the borrower for the duration of the loan.

Only time will tell whether loans offered by some platforms are actually safer than loans offered by others - it takes time for big failures to materialise.
    I'm hoping Plymouth can be sold off soon (academic year 2018/19 starting!), even if I can get 70% back on that to use towards my deposit it'd be helpful!
    I'm optimistic about the outlook for Plymouth, much moreso than Bollington and Birkenhead. What has become clear across all platforms offering these types of development loans is that the methodology of starting from a GDV and subtracting remaining build costs in order to arrive at a present value is flawed and it is not appropriate to lend more than about 30% of towards the build costs of such a project, with the balance coming out of the developer's pockets.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just noticed, for a few days only, Kuflink are offering 3% cashback to existing customers on their Autoinvest and IFISA products if locking in at 5%+ on their 3 or 5 year rates.
  • A poster on the purple P2P forum has produced a very interesting post regarding the possible implications on various platforms regarding the FCA consolation document (https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/consultation/cp18-20.pdf)

https://p2pfrankdiscussion.freeforums.net/post/2911/thread
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Alexland wrote: »
    Just noticed, for a few days only, Kuflink are offering 3% cashback to existing customers on their Autoinvest and IFISA products if locking in at 5%+ on their 3 or 5 year rates.

Shame its for 3 and 5 years, previously many of the 3% offers have included self-select and the 1 year auto-invest.

The 3 year deal seems like the best one, given 5 year is only 0.35% more.
  • granta
    granta Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I've just signed up through a friend referral link...do you think the 3% cashback would apply on top of that, or is it one or the other? It doesn't seem clear from the terms.
  • Alexland
    edited 29 July 2018 at 3:24PM
    granta wrote: »
    I've just signed up through a friend referral link...do you think the 3% cashback would apply on top of that, or is it one or the other? It doesn't seem clear from the terms.

It says new and existing customers so there is a chance you could get both. However it says not to use in conjunction with any other offer so possibly not. Still the referral offer is so good the 3% would be a 'nice to have' icing on the cake.

Alex
  • Alexland
    bxboards wrote: »
    The 3 year deal seems like the best one, given 5 year is only 0.35% more.

Agree it"s like an extra 1% interest on the 3 year deal which makes it comparable to the 5 year deal with the same cashback spread over 2 more years. My current priority is ISA wrapping money and my IFISA for this tax year is with Ratesetter so I will probably give this a miss.

Alex
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Agree it"s like an extra 1% interest on the 3 year deal which makes it comparable to the 5 year deal with the same cashback spread over 2 more years. My current priority is ISA wrapping money and my IFISA for this tax year is with Ratesetter so I will probably give this a miss.

Alex

I'm not planning to put in any more this round, I would have if they were doing it on the 1 year auto mind you. My IFISA this year is with Assetz Capital, mainly as I really like the 5.1% rate on the 30 day access account (plus another 0.5% bonus currently)
  • granta
    granta Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am new to P2P lending and have recently opened an account with Ratesetter with the intention of investing in the rolling market.

I'm surprised at how low the rates are....over the last week, they have fluctuated between 2% and 3.5%. Is that the current average as I can't find any historical data? Just looking to hear from more experienced investors at what kind of rate you have been able to obtain?
    The 1 year fixed is 4% so am wondering whether to go for that instead.
    Any views gratefully received.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure