Investment advice for person panicking about Brexit

Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 6:45PM
    dunstonh wrote: »
    It actually seems my reference to fashion investing was the key thing they didn't like. Despite it being a very accurate description of what they did.
    It did come across as pretty rude to me, to be honest.

OP had already acknowledged that they were "ignorant" when it comes to investments and that they had picked the funds out of a newspaper column. They had also indicated that they had done more research now and were looking to rationalise their various funds into one global fund, a sensible move.

You could have just answered their question and given some advice as to which fund you'd recommend.
    Instead you criticised the investments they had made in the past and had a massive go at them for no real reason, while also managing to completely misread the comment they made about worrying about their job prospects post-Brexit.
    Totally unnecessary tbh and a shame to scare off a new user like that.
    dunstonh wrote: »
    A very very high risk spread...fashion investing... Totally unsuitable... in for one hell of a roller coaster ride ... inexperienced investor...gung ho risk level...completely wrong....That isn't how you invest....not what you should be doing....ditch them in your case because of lack of knowledge.
    poppy10
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,069
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    poppy10 wrote: »

OP had already acknowledged that they were "ignorant" when it comes to investments and that they had picked the funds out of a newspaper column. They had also indicated that they had done more research now and were looking to rationalise their various funds into one global fund, a sensible move.

You could have just answered their question and given some advice as to which fund you'd recommend.
    Instead you criticised the investments they had made in the past and had a massive go at them for no real reason, while also managing to completely misread the comment they made about worrying about their job prospects post-Brexit.

I disagree. I thought that Dunstonh and the other posters who contributed gave thoughtful, cogent, appropriate and succinct responses to the OP's points, and were met with scatter-gun accusations and complaints.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    USENET? That's luxury - I started out posting on cave painting forums, hot debate of the time was flint or bronze the better investment?

Cave painting? Luxury! We were so poor we just bashed out heads together until we passed out.

Alex.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm sorry that the OP has been put off by the tone of some of the advice.

If she is still reading this thread, I would say well done for the 38% gain she has made on the portfolio. But it is also true that it is a very high risk portfolio that could lose up to 70% when the next equity crash comes along. So she made the right decision to come here for advice. My advice would therefore be to cash in on her gains by selling the funds before an equity crash and invest the proceeds in a more balanced multi asset fund to suit her risk level.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,644
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    IanManc wrote: »
    I disagree. I thought that Dunstonh and the other posters who contributed gave thoughtful, cogent, appropriate and succinct responses to the OP's points, and were met with scatter-gun accusations and complaints.

To be fair to the OP some of the responses were a little tactless in their wording... but hey, this is an internet forum, that's to be expected. It's never going to be like a polite conversation, it will always be a little more abrupt. Doesn't mean the info's wrong though, and doesn't mean people are overly-critical or holding grudges (why would they?)..

However I do think the OP's own responses back were unnecessarily negative, as it was clear everyone was trying to help. But some people do seem to be overly sensitive and interpret any critical advice as just critical. Perhaps this sort of forum's not for them. But we've all been stung by people's reactions to our posts now and then (I know I have!), and it is something to try and rise above (imho anyway). Life's too short to take umbrage too far.

The OP's responses weren't helped by their method of posting multiple replies minutes apart none of which saying who they were replying to. That's an issue of forum etiquette the OP might helpfully improve on another time (sorry OP, not being critical, I'm genuinely trying to be helpful!) whether under their existing username or, as they suggest, another new name (though I'd also suggest, helpfully I hope, that that is an unnecessary over-reaction).

A pity really, as this had the potential (still does if the OP comes back to us) to be a really interesting discussion about brexit preparation.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    I was linking the statement that followed. i.e. op says they are an ignorant investor. I then went on to show what they had was unsuitable for an inexperienced investor. Do notice how I used the term inexperienced in my response. I did not refer to them as ignorant. I actually think the use of ignorant is crude which is why I used my frequent classification which is to call them an inexperienced investor.

We quote bits of text to make it easier to understand why we are responding as we do.

It actually seems my reference to fashion investing was the key thing they didn't like. Despite it being a very accurate description of what they did. I don't know what the other early responders did wrong to be criticised either.

Understood. That's just how it came across to me.

@Zanderman I think OP's multiple posts without 'back-references' were probably down to a lack of familiarity with the tools available for posting quotes with responses - some of which I still can't get to work for me.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    poppy10 wrote: »

If you don't explain where they've gone wrong then they'll never learn or understand why what's being suggested is better, and they'll be doomed to repeat their mistake again.

Has half the thread been culled by a mod?
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Lungboy wrote: »
    If you don't explain where they've gone wrong then they'll never learn or understand why what's being suggested is better, and they'll be doomed to repeat their mistake again.
    She maybe made a mistake by picking a set of popular funds from a newspaper article not realising they were such high risk, but they have made a decent profit over last 4 years. She is right to be pleased about that, even although she has been lucky that the bull run has continued over that period. The bigger mistake, that I hope she doesn't now make, would be not cashing in her gains and investing in a more balanced multi asset fund.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 9:18PM
    Audaxer wrote: »
    She maybe made a mistake by picking a set of popular funds from a newspaper article not realising they were such high risk, but they have made a decent profit over last 4 years.

Lindsell Train Global Equity appears defensively positioned. Arguably less exposed to a global downturn than other well known names. Who are trading at demanding p/e ratios.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,644
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    @Zanderman I think OP's multiple posts without 'back-references' were probably down to a lack of familiarity with the tools available for posting quotes with responses - some of which I still can't get to work for me.

Maybe, but if so just mentioning the name of the person being replied to would suffice - as you've just demonstrated.

As for getting the quotes system to work, single quotes are easy-peasy, as you also just demonstrated.

Multiple quotes can be tricky unless you know how though - took me a while - but now I know to click the multi-quote for anything you want quoted (nothing will seem to happen) and then, after you've finished that, click single quote on one of the posts you are quoting and you'll get a reply box populated with all those multi-quotes. That's only easy peasy when you know how.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure