Twins! Top tips?

We are very excited to be welcoming identical twin granddaughters into the world in a month or so, Mum is very practical and organised and has some experience of managing two babies - she has nieces with only 6 months between them and has helped her two sisters care for them from birth. Just wondered if any experienced parents/grandparents of twins have any top tips to pass on? Not necessarily money saving, although that's always a bonus, just anything you've learned, but wish you'd known sooner? :D
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    None in my family but I have a friend who is a twin. The worst part of being a twin she told me was that she and her sister were always called "the twins" - she said she loved every other part of being a twin, but never being called or referred to by her name always upset her.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You WILL be able to tell the difference between them!
    I have not given birth to twins but know several identical pairs closely,
    I don't think I've ever got them mixed up.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,173 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    LadyDee wrote: »
    None in my family but I have a friend who is a twin. The worst part of being a twin she told me was that she and her sister were always called "the twins" - she said she loved every other part of being a twin, but never being called or referred to by her name always upset her.
    Think Mum is onto that one, she refers to her (enormous) bump as 'The family'.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    LadyDee wrote: »

In a similar vein, remember they are two people when it comes to birthdays and Christmas and don't buy 'the twins' one thing between them - even if it is a more expensive item.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I once heard someone say they had given their second born twin the name that comes first in the alphabet so that they had something over the oldest twin.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Offer to take both out of the house for an hour or more, so the parents can grab some kip. Or a bath, or whatever they feel in need of.

I know it's tempting & easy & almost inevitable but try dressing them as individuals rather than as twins? It makes for fewer changes & less laundry overall.

Chose tights are Not Gendered - keep toes covered & cosy...
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have twin boys (three years younger than our first child) so we’d had a bit of practice first which helped.

Like posters above have said, we never call ours twins, if talking about them both they are the boys. We also called the first born the name that was later in the the alphabet.

Treating them as seperate people is essential, but so is the need to not compare them. It got so frustrating people having to comment on which one was the “lively one / sleepy one” or whatever else they felt the need to label them :o
    Personally for me I hate seeing twins dressed the same, so would avoid buying duplicates unless parents have asked for them.

On a more positive note, offer to babysit when’s the parents feel ready :D we managed a night away once a year with my parents having all three overnight. We didn’t venture far, but the thought of a full night off was a real treat - perhaps not for my parents mind :rotfl:

Best of luck :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 11 August 2019 at 5:45PM
    My cousin has twins, one of each, who have just turned 4.

Up until now they have got a present to share from me, I've observed them and now they are definitely ready come Christmas for individual gifts.

I've always called them by their own names.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How lovely for you.

I have a friend who has twin girls aged 8. Ive known them since birth and its been a real eye opener seeing them develop as they are identical but so different in temperament.

Just a couple of 'silly' observations-

Persuade mum not to call them something similar, my friend has Hollie and Mollie (what was she thinking) and every time she calls one of them either the wrong one comes or neither of them.

Tell them you cant remember who was born first, saves years of 'Im first because Im older than you'.

Organisation is key when they start to dress themselves - she once took them to school and only found out when she got into the playground that one was wearing 2 left shoes and the other was wearing the two right ones.

Most of all, enjoy. You are so lucky.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Artytarty wrote: »
    You WILL be able to tell the difference between them!
    I have not given birth to twins but know several identical pairs closely,
    I don't think I've ever got them mixed up.

My ex SIL had identical twin girls.
    Even their Grandma had trouble telling them apart if there was only one in the room - IYKWIM.
    That was when they were young, I don't know if a difference became more obvious as they grew older.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure