I will cut my coat according to my cloth. {Edited by Forum team} 2019

Savvy_sewing
Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
As I am a Seamstress, and this year is about my sorting out my life and changing my direction, finally loosing the family debts etc perhaps the title is the most apt I can come up with this year.
Here is to 2019 and a frugal year to change my direction so that I can rebuild my dreams in the next year.
When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have subscribed and will, once again, be following with interest :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Happy new thread Mooloo with a very fitting title as you plan the coming year . Here in the North we say cut your cloth according to your measure . As an experienced seamstress you will know the reason for measuring at least twice before cutting out .

Using that advice it would be useful to give yourself a day or so before reacting to any requests from family on the spur of the moment and think things through first .

I hope you manage to sort something about the HGV course loan . It does seem out of order that you can be landed with loan repayments if the wrong information has been given re the location of the health assessment . I imagine EE will be able to give you good advice it's worth reading the terms and conditions of the loan agreement you signed when you get home to check the small print .

I hope you manage to get a little enjoyment from the rest of your holiday . I've had a few thoughts re your mum so will either post later or tomorrow . Meanwhile I'll subscribe and lets hope despite the challenges re the shop etc the year ahead will be kinder .

pollyx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good to see your new thread, hope it brings positivity this year.
  • Subscribed and hope that you can find a way to get to your dream life
  • Subscribed. Happy New Year Mooloo, and all others posters xx
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Happy New Year MOOLOO.Onwards n upwards hun :Dxx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Savvy_sewing
    Looking at my SOA.
    Eek.
    I can't do anything about it here, as I don't have access to my savings out here. But I will be using it all to pay off the credit card that I have to pay interest on first. The charges for the toll roads and the hire car test transaction will go on and hopefully come off in the next few days.
    When that is all settled then I will clear that card completely.
    The sum total of the debts are an eye watering £13,040.72
    The sum total that I raised when I cashed in my pension and added my savings was £8,000 so I will still have £5,040.72 of debt. I should also be able to clear all but £120 on a second card so the £5,000 left will be all on one card. At the moment that is currently on 0% transfer. So I will be throwing all my spare cash at that. If I pay the same amount each month £200 that I pay ( with some of that coming from Biggest), I should be cleared in 24 months ( and probably less if I work hard).
    I had a payment from DS of £100 today, a surprise payment for the HGV going out tomorrow. I have to confess I am amazed.

My essential spends will be my first target. I will need to cut the overspending down and one place that I know will be possible is cancelling my sky TV. The new TV has free play or something like that. I don't know exactly how much I will save as my Sky is a tv, telephone and internet package. But it should be reduced by about £20 I would guess.
    I will try to re visit the grocery challenges, and cut my food spending. Making more of an effort to cook from scratch and batch cook. Although I gave away my chest freezer just before Christmas to someone in need. So I will not be able to stock pile.
    What I really would like to do is clear the money in 12 months.
    Then I can put the money away into savings again afterwards.
    But I will need to be strong and remember the No's etc from my previous thread.
    I reckon I can have my dreams back on track by my 60th Birthday.still giving me 7 years in the workplace.
    I will not be able to cut car costs, as I hardly drive it anyway, but I still need to get to Mum every week.
    I may have to give up my personal mobile phone account and just use the business one. But not until I know how to save everything first. But that would save me £27 ish a month.
    I also have a sewing magazine subscription that to be honest I really don't need, as I could probably write the contents of them myself!
    So that's about £19.99 a quarter.

I think I feel more in control now I have done my SOA and I have a mission plan to stay within my means and debt bust.

With the business I have a few harder challenges to get through.
    I still have my shop contract until the end of August. So I will still have to work at it, but I want to put more effort into cutting my costs, increasing my profit and leaving the shop with my next stage of the business/work life in place.
    It is going to be a busy time.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Hi, not sure if you’re aware but there is a diary section in the debt free wannabe board that might be a better place for this? I’m sure a board guide would be happy to move it?
  • Savvy_sewing
    Hi, not sure if you’re aware but there is a diary section in the debt free wannabe board that might be a better place for this? I’m sure a board guide would be happy to move it?

Yes I am aware. The reason I am in the Family, relationship section is because in 2007 when I started it was about my relationship with my family. The costs it has encurred.
    I still believe that my situation is family and relationship based.
    Maybe next year it will just be a debt free one. But I still believe that this will still be family dependent
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,130 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary
    Wishing health & happiness to you in 2019 & more financial security xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure