Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michaels
    • By michaels 18th Jul 19, 9:28 PM
    • 22,620Posts
    • 103,884Thanks
    michaels
    Ovo v2g - does it make sense?
    • 18th Jul 19, 9:28 PM
    Ovo v2g - does it make sense? 18th Jul 19 at 9:28 PM
    Haven't looked at the details but basically ovo pay 6p per stored unit exported on top of the standard unit rate which it obviously cost to charge the battery in the first place.

Not sure if there is any option for time of day arbitrage (fill batt using cheap rate, sell back at peak rate)

Not sure if you have to be on a potentially more expensive ovo tariff.

Not sure what the round trip efficiency loss is.

For those with PV you give up your export tariff in exchange for all exports getting 2p over import rate which sounds a good deal for those who export lots and a bad deal for those who use most of their generation.

Does anyone know any more?
    Cool heads and compromise
Page 1
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 19th Jul 19, 7:38 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    Zarch
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:38 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:38 AM
    Its not 'all' PV exports though is it? I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I could get 18p per kWh for everything I export??

From the video, I think its only exports than come from your EV battery at peak times (dictated by them?)

And look like its EV owners only.

Admittedly its hard to find out all the details from the site. Its not spelt out too clearly really.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/vehicle-to-grid-charger
    17 x 300W panels on a 3.68 SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    • Piddles
    • By Piddles 19th Jul 19, 10:18 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Piddles
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:18 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:18 AM
    FAQs

Q: Will it affect my Nissan EV battery warranty?
    A: We are working closely with Nissan to ensure that no battery degradation is caused by V2G charging beyond what would be expected from normal charging using a standard EV home charge point. We continue to work with Nissan to make sure that during our trial, your existing warranty will remain unaffected.
    That's doesn't sound like a "No". They should have sorted out something far more emphatic than that with Nissan. The technology has such potential, it must be in both their interests to have done so.
    Last edited by Piddles; 19-07-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added quotes for clarity
    • michaels
    • By michaels 19th Jul 19, 12:20 PM
    • 22,620 Posts
    • 103,884 Thanks
    michaels
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:20 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:20 PM
    FAQs

Q: Will it affect my Nissan EV battery warranty?
    A: We are working closely with Nissan to ensure that no battery degradation is caused by V2G charging beyond what would be expected from normal charging using a standard EV home charge point. We continue to work with Nissan to make sure that during our trial, your existing warranty will remain unaffected.

That's doesn't sound like a "No". They should have sorted out something far more emphatic than that with Nissan. The technology has such potential, it must be in both their interests to have done so.
    Originally posted by Piddles
    I have a leaf 24, they said I can only join if it is not in battery warranty
    • michaels
    • By michaels 19th Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    • 22,620 Posts
    • 103,884 Thanks
    michaels
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    Its not 'all' PV exports though is it? I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I could get 18p per kWh for everything I export??

From the video, I think its only exports than come from your EV battery at peak times (dictated by them?)

And look like its EV owners only.

Admittedly its hard to find out all the details from the site. Its not spelt out too clearly really.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/vehicle-to-grid-charger
    Originally posted by Zarch
    So there seem to be two schemes - import cost plus 6p per unit if you don't have any generation.

Import cost plus 2p if you do have generation and you give up the deemed export - I am not sure if this is for all exported units or only those that have been through the battery.

Also not sure if 'import cost' is on a single rate ovo tariff or whether you can have an economy 7 style tariff and import at a cheap rate and get paid for export at a high rate.
    • Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 19th Jul 19, 4:14 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    • 19th Jul 19, 4:14 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 4:14 PM
    I looked at it before and thought it was great... for ovo, and rubbish for me.
    Plus bulb energy is cheaper per kwh, so made no sense.

The FAQ I looked at said they wouldn't take a leaf 24, only 30+
    • michaels
    • By michaels 19th Jul 19, 8:48 PM
    • 22,620 Posts
    • 103,884 Thanks
    michaels
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:48 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:48 PM
    I looked at it before and thought it was great... for ovo, and rubbish for me.
    Plus bulb energy is cheaper per kwh, so made no sense.

The FAQ I looked at said they wouldn't take a leaf 24, only 30+
    Originally posted by Solarchaser
    So you have to take an expensive PVP tariff to get a few pennies back - doesn't sound lik emuch of a deal.

They do now take leaf 24 but only if they are out of battery warranty.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 20th Jul 19, 10:48 AM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    NigeWick
    • 20th Jul 19, 10:48 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 10:48 AM
    I looked into Ovo's offer when I had a Nissan Leaf. Didn't make financial sense to me. Everything in Ovo's favour and not a lot in mine.

There is some evidence that V2G will actually help prolong battery life.

Anybody considering the scheme, it's Chademo only at present.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • michaels
    • By michaels 20th Jul 19, 3:38 PM
    • 22,620 Posts
    • 103,884 Thanks
    michaels
    • 20th Jul 19, 3:38 PM
    • 20th Jul 19, 3:38 PM
    Is there any sensibly priced kit that let's you use your EV as a battery without going with a scalper like ovo?
    • Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 20th Jul 19, 7:47 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    Not as far as I'm aware, if you find any, please let us all know.

I cant understand why some of the ev home chargers dont offer this tbh.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,045Posts Today

10,331Users online

Martin's Twitter