PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Motivation needed for upcoming Maternity Pay

hi folks!

I'm posting here as I feel it's all the sneaky little ways of living that this board is sooooo good at & the motivation you all give is what I'm needing!!

Our situation - I'm currently on maternity leave with DS officially turning 3 months tomorrow. At the end of this month my pay goes down to Statutory Maternity Pay which is obviously going to be a massive cut in income.

Whilst feeling cautious about this, I do kind-of feel a bit prepared for this as we already are prepared in the following ways:-

* Have saving kitty's for various things such as bills, car bills for my car (hubby deals with his car), Christmas, the cats for emergencies, plus one for larger costs - this will will no doubt be used over the next 5 months!
* The kitchen and household has been stocked up during the pregnancy for which we're already reaping the benefits - e.g. good supply of food in the cupboards and freezers, stocked up on cleaning stuff
* Have good supply of baby stuff at the moment from stocking up during the pregnancy and from gifts when DS was born - hopefully enough nappies til next payday, plenty toiletries at the moment for next couple of months, LOADS of cloths in the next size which he'll probably grow into in the next couple of weeks. We get child benefit & we're putting that aside to help with buying nappies and formula when needed and fresh food of we're short (I'm combination feeding so important that I'm eating well as he'll benefit!)
* Have been getting reacquainted with the boards for hints and tips on saving the pennies and making them s-t-r-e-t-c-h... So far have requested that my union fees are suspended and using the stash of fruit & veg bags that I couldn't bear to put in the bin as nappy sacks.
* Looking at low-cost and free things to do with DS when we just need out the house!

What I'd like from all you lovely people is any additional words of wisdom - either general hints and tips on running a house,looking after baby, affordable activities with DS ( wither out or in the house), ideas on where to look for advice, or more specific advice linked to dealing with maternity leave/costs/benefits

I will be hopefully going back to work at the end of January.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Snowy x
:j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello,

I'm off on mat leave next year so have been thinking a lot about this.

Free things you could do:

- Library events (our local one has sing and sign, etc)
    - Our NCT has free meet ups in the park. You could make a coffee, pop it in a thermos and rock up.
    - Check out local churches etc for baby and tot groups. Usually a small contribution for coffee and cake
    -Search for 'childrens centres'. Ours have ones everyone can turn up to (e.g. stay and play for 0 to 5 year olds) and others which I assume are for low income families only (fresh food club - £3 for two bags of 'fresh food')
    - Once baby starts to be able to support his own head you could look at taking up running and jog around the park. Or, with walking, try and set yourself a daily distance goal. You could combine with podcasts/geocaching/bird watching/whatever floats your boat
    - Baby yoga on Youtube

I'm not going to bother with paid baby massage/yoga etc - they're mostly for mums to meet and I doubt they'll have impact worth their fee!

It sounds like you've chosen disposables but for the benefit of any other mum to be reading, I spent £150 on a huuuge kit of preloved all in one washable nappies - all look like new. And a further £20 on a loads of muslins to use as nappies when they're newborn (and too small for the all in ones).

I'm also planning on making some reusable wipes which, once baby no longer needs them, can be used as cleaning cloths.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 August 2019 at 10:11AM
    Hello. You've done well with your prepping. A few thoughts:
    1. Have you read the original Sneaky Ways to Save the Pennies and its replacement, Lots More Sneaky Ways to Save the Pennies?
    2. Secondly, have you checked out your local library? They often have free/subsidised mother-and-baby/toddler groups. (I have a friend who works in a library who raves about these. She loves working on mother-and-baby afternoons.)
    3. Please join us on the monthly Grocery Challenge, if only for the motivation.
    4. The ladies on the Charity Shop thread may be able to help you with which charity shops are great for baby/toddler clothes and toys. I drive past an RSPCA shop that regularly has baby walkers and the occasional pram out the front.
    5. Going back to work. Your shape will have changed during your pregnancy. Now is the time to discover whether a) your existing work clothes still fit you and b) if not, what needs to be replaced. Then you can stalk charity shops to find replacements, make new clothes (if so inclined) or save up and buy what you need.

HTH

- Pip

ETA: Also, while I think about it, are you doing your exercises? I don't mean this from a weight-loss perspective. Children are heavy and want to be carried, so strengthen your abs and your back while you can. Also, be conscientious about doing your pelvic floor exercises. Incontinence is not inevitable and pelvic floor exercises are cheaper than incontinence pads.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Id focus on doing things for you and enjoying the rest of your mat leave. Once you are back at work, your baby gets older or even if you have another mat leave, you won't get much time to yourself. Babies are pretty portable anyway and are easily entertained.

Baby friendly cinema screenings - Odeon do screenings where you can bring your baby without worrying about being disruptive to others. As the films are show off peak (in the mornings) they can be cheaper.

Free hot drinks - Waitrose do a free coffee with instore purchases and IKEA do free hot drinks Mon-Fri with a loyalty card. If you have either store near take advantage of a little treat.

Library - borrow some books for you and baby. Or join in with the rhyme-time sessions.

Museums, attractions and etc - visit a couple of places that you have always wanted to go to.
  • Snowy_Owl
    Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks lasies for the swift replies!!!

MandM90 - I like those ideas about the grouops. The park walks are also good idea - I do like try to get out the house when I can. Havedug out the thermos for this!!! We don;t have a Waitrose nearby but do have points on a costa card so they'll be getting used!! ;-)

PipneyJane - Will get in the case with those threads - fab idea about checking out clothes now. Will take the pressure off. Just a I'm typojg this, am thinking that the January sales will be on just before I'm due to go back. That way If I do need to get something proper new, it'll hopefully be cheaper.

chanie - Love the cinema idea. Have just checked and the DCA in Dundee have these every couple of weeks or so. Do like a film myself so fab idea!!

Think I'm going to start a wee list of things to do both free and at low cost so if I'm in the mood of doing something, I can just choose somethng off the list that's not going to break the bank and save the brain power thinking!!!

Thanks for the ideas!
  • 100% second the reusable wipes suggestion. They are so much easier to use than baby wipes, they actually shift muck, and I just chuck mine in with the rest of the washing. Either get some flannels from the pound shop or invest in some cotton cheeky wipes.

Also, while you have time, look on Facebook marketplace for bargains - varies by area, but by the time baby was 6 months old I had all of his clothes bought for until he grows out of the 18-24 month size, for less than £100. Bundles go really cheaply round here. I have only kept half the stuff I have bought (rest gone to CS but in theory I could have sold on) and still have plenty. I also bought some good toy bundles pretty cheaply.

We have gone down the route of baby led weaning, which means that rather than buying purees etc you just give baby the food you are eating (within reason). Although we weren't intending to be money saving by doing this, it is actually really sensible, and baby loves it. No expensive jars or fancy snacks to buy!

Baby Centre website has lots of ideas for silly games with your baby just using household stuff. Once they can sit up there's lots you can do, e.g. this week my 10 month old has been having a whale of a time with my wooden spoons. I google "games for xx month old baby" a few times a week for more ideas.

Hth
  • mat_
    mat_ Posts: 1 Newbie
    You should also make sure that you know what your income is actually going to be.

Many people find they are due some income tax refund when their pay drops down to the basic maternity rate - this depends what your income was before, where you are in the tax year etc. calculating it exactly is very hard.
    There is a calculator at www maternity.money that gives a good estimate or talk to your HR department.

Also make sure you are maximising all the maternity/child related benefits. obvious stuff like child benefit, but also for example you may be able to boost your income by doing some Keep In Touch days without having to end your maternity leave.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you're on Facebook, join a local mums group - there are several big ones that cover my area, each with thousands of members. Other mums are always posting links to local events and activities, often free or very cheap. They advertise nearly new sales of baby stuff too - useful for when you need bigger clothes.
  • Snowy_Owl
    Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The last couple of days have been great! On Thursday, I took DS to the cinema (DCA in Dundee) who hold Bring a Baby" screenings every couple of weeks - targeted to parents of babies up to 1 year of age. You get a cuppy and a biscuit included in your ticket, prams can go straight into the cinema (unless really busy and that os restricted) and they have changing mats and a basket with nappies and wipes in it up the back so you don;t need to leave the cinema. Saw blinded by the light which I was wanting to see anyway. It was just me and another mum and baby. Total bliss!!!!!Obviously there is a cost but it's something I enjoy so this could be my one treat.

Today, Hubby, myself and DS went to an open day at Montrose Air Station. Hubby does have an interest in that kind of thing anyway so it only cost us a snack really. (Must remember the flask next time tho for extra cuppies!)

We all really enjoyed the day so will definitely keeping an out for future events - doors open day is coming up so will plan a wee outing for that!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport