Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,625Posts
    • 40,842Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 391
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 18th Oct 19, 8:56 PM
    • 9,451 Posts
    • 61,441 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Pleasures yesterday and today - yesterday, last day of holiday, enjoying freshly cooked fish and chips from the chippy, eaten by the river while dog splashed in and out of the water.

Son saying how much he has enjoyed the holiday, he thought it would be a bit weird without his dad being there but in fact it was ok. We had a good time, thoroughly relaxing and self indulgent.

Good journey home this morning, back by 11:30. It's only 1 hour 40 minutes drive. Nice to be back.

Cat full of purr since we got back, I think he missed us.

Two loads of washing done, leftover stale bread brought back has been turned into bread and butter pud for tomorrow.

Letter from HMRC - I am due a tax refund of over £600, will get it in next few days. I think it was because of my change of contracts last year where I had about a month transitioning to the new reduced hours contract. Money will be most welcome.

Smoked haddock, rough mash with a bit of cheese, spinach, parsley sauce, fresh bread and butter for dinner. Son had a few prawns with his that needed using up out of the freezer.

Enough stuff in fridge, freezer and cupboards to do the weekend meals so no need to shop till next week.

Sneaked up to bed at 20:30 to read and catch up online. Holiday accommodation is nice but there's no place like home.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Oct 19, 9:18 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 40,842 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Day off work so
    1) nice slow start to the day
    2) nice deep bubbly bath
    3) long lunch with a friend at the botanic gardens - it p**d down so was very happy she gave me a lift to
    4) mr t to buy stuff for 2 trifles for event tomorrow
    5) have made the two first layers - a gluten-free one with orange jelly and satsumas poached in orange juice with whisky and an alcohol-free one with lots of local fruit and sponges.
    now at home with dd2 listening to the news quiz. then an early night cos big match tomorrow morning
    Be like a postage stampóstick to one thing until you get there.
    Plastic bottles picked up to recycle Oct: 62; Nov 5: 14
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 19th Oct 19, 8:46 AM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 36,968 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

Up early to make bread dough, had got out of the habit of making my own during illness and missed the quiet pleasure of kneading.

Had scheduled a lesson on beautiful grey one but my cough obviously missed me and has made a reappearance, still got on my girlie but just walk work and the difficulty of breathing & riding had me slumped across my girlieís neck at one point laughing.

HM bread ham sandwich for lunch, simple but delicious.

A couple of chores to do in the afternoon but by the time a nasty thunderstorm rolled across I was thankfully ensconced on the sofa having small dog cuddles.

Capt S coming home and knowing our weekend has started.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 19th Oct 19, 8:15 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 40,842 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) rugbeeeeeeeeeee (and good footie for the hatters but not for bop)
    2) finished the trifles and made a bean salad for
    3) lunch for 27 (catering done by the committee). have come home with enough bean salad, green salad and trout for 2 meals
    4) lovely walk with mum along the beach
    5) then back to hers to pick up spare hair dryer (mine gave up the ghost last month).
    • Frith
    • By Frith 19th Oct 19, 8:29 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 49,521 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for yesterday and today:

Yesterday

1) Meeting in floody city with the person who will come to smaller son's meeting with me on Tuesday. Nice, helpful chap. We will say he cannot cope in a mainstream school/college (no surprise that it failed, as he hadn't been in one for 7 years!)

2) Had a restorative cup of tea in Waitrose.

3) Popped in to see mum and dad.

4) Poorly hen still going, sitting up in her bed like a queen!

5) Brother popped round for a while.

6) Babysat my small niece.

Today

1) A lie in.

2) Hen well enough to get herself in and out of the sleeping quarters!

3) Bigger son had a nice shift at Halfords.

4) Tidied up a bit.

5) Took bigger son's bike to his friend's house (so he can cycle home later) and had to watch them do flips on the trampoline.

6) Watching tv this evening.

7) My Manchester United members card has arrived (!)
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 20th Oct 19, 7:43 AM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 36,968 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Saturday pleasures,

Boiled egg with marmite soldiers whilst watching the rugby.

Over to the yard, being Saturday the school was busy with lessons so was just going to graze girlie in hand but she was so dirty when I got there that I brought her in for a good groom. Afterwards we went for a little wander around the field and I saw 4 buzzards flying above our heads, family group I presume.

More birds, this time a Jay flew in front of my car on the way home, beautiful colours.

Unfortunately Iím still coughing so quiet afternoon reading and watching the footie scores coming in.

A takeaway treat for tea, small dog adores prawn crackers but is only allowed a couple.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 20th Oct 19, 8:50 AM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 21,711 Thanks
    villagelife
    For past couple of days.

1. Windows cleaned by window cleaner. He had brought his 2 year old son with him. He wanted to play with the hens but ended up chasing them as they wouldn't play. I gave him some eggs as he wanted to see the newly laid eggs.

2. Sorted out seeds in the greenhouse and sowed some.

3. At work - more money and voiced my opinions about others not pulling their weight. Happened on Saturday too. I was listened too.

4. Rugby result. Enjoyed Kyle's try.

5. Cooked tea which was good a pork casserole.

6. Started my Christmas cake.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 20th Oct 19, 8:51 AM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 40,558 Thanks
    mhagster
    My Saturday pleasures...well pleasures up to a particular point in the day!

Work was fine. Had a better frame of mind. Blethered back and forth with my main kitchen colleague. Had taken in her a bunch of herbs from my garden. See ...I can be nice!

A couple of pounds in tips.

Did my grocery shop. Had taken car down. Needed dog food and loo roll as well as other things .

Dumped shopping that son put away ....thank you...see I can be grateful!

Took daughter and we went down to our woods . First we had a nice piece of cake and then a lovely big walk to walk off the cake! See...I can be kind.

We went up to see OHís tree and the memorial plaque as DD2 hadnít yet seen it. ( it just went up a few weeks ago) . We had a hug. See...I can be caring!

Phoned friend to see if she fancied a dark oíclock woodland walk and she did so we arranged to meet later. See...I can be inclusive.

Then got home! And my sister called for her (so I thought) usual Saturday afternoon call. And it transpires that my mother had had a fall through the week , needs help but no way in hell was asking me! So got a tirade from my sister ...who kept saying are you still there? Youíre very quiet ? No, sister youíre hardly letting me get a word in edgeways! And my nice day was kind of spoiled ...which sounds kind of spoiled by me!

Tried repeatedly to call, no reply . DD2 messaged and did get a reply. So I will go round later and bite my tongue in half probably and do what needs to be done...as the brother who lives less than a mile away wonít and the sister whoís a three hour drive away wonít. And they donít hardly ever!

Had my woodland walk with friend and her daughter. Thereís a light show coming and theyíve been doing trials all week ...nah! Not last night! Was blooming chilly we all had our hats and scarves on! Anyway we had a good chat on the way round and a bit more exercise and very fresh air.

Bought some very Rtc flowers ( which are still in car so need to remember to take them out)

Today is my very first Sunday off work since I started. Was supposed to be meeting a friend but have reneged on that to be a dutiful daughter. Itís 2 years today that I left Australia to come back and nine years since I arrived there. Sun is shining in an itís blooming chilly kind of way but first load of washing is due to finish and another load to go on.

Have a lovely day.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Oct 19, 9:48 AM
    • 5,615 Posts
    • 81,945 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Blimey, Mhags, can't believe you've been back 2 years...

Lainey, sorry you're still coughing, sounds like mine had been. Sure you don't need some antibiotics?

Pleasures for Friday

1. DS came home for the weekend. Seems more settled
    2. restructured, yet again, the second half of the thesis. Still trying to find the one that works
    3. gin
    4. watched a film with OH and DS "American made"
    5. Did the shopping and washing was hung outside

and yesterday

1. Good walk to the station
    2. "second" breakfast in London with friends
    3. Then we marched on Parliament. Mostly good natured with some very right wing people heckling at one point calling us traitors. I smiled and waved at them
    4. Went to uni to take my book back and do some printing.
    5. OH had got loads of leftover curry bits out for tea and we opened a nice bottle of wine.

Have a nice day. The rugby is excrutiating. Come on Cymru
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 20th Oct 19, 4:41 PM
    • 6,369 Posts
    • 37,173 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I've got the Horns!
    There, now yous worried!
    PM2DD Zip it, not interested. Didn't look, don't start! Enuff!
    MHags, Yous using words out of BoP Vokabbblery!

Right nows the rests of yous, here is yous Tea Time BoP Snack!

BoPsie is has a serious reversions. Watched Herbie rides again the other night, BoPsie was inn her bin theres mode. I klows yous not watched it for a while, but you just want too!

Nows I mentioned on FryDay abot the use of the best back before the snorker fest! Well good news, BoP got some more best back inn and we had a mega fest for brekkers yesterday! Well fed and tea was drinked!

Had wobbelades last nite, with a million quiz and some model railway things.

Must start me 1:32 Mozzie model soon.

Tea at Gaff de BoP tonite was Fishmans Pie. Not available inn the emporium. With codpieces, mackeral and shrimps. Inn homemade cheesed off Parsley sauce, topped with scallop tatties. Recipe handed down by BoP and available on request!

Oh, about the horn! BoP got two cream and strawberry horns. Nice and naughty!

That's all for your tea time BoP snack!

They forgot to close the bloody doors!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Oct 19, 5:14 PM
    • 5,615 Posts
    • 81,945 Thanks
    VJsmum

BoPsie is has a serious reversions. Watched Herbie rides again the other night, BoPsie was inn her bin theres mode. I klows yous not watched it for a while, but you just want too!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I really don't - watched it in the pictures when I was 10 or 11 years old. My friend and I were in the circle and were so bored we started flicking empty ice cream cartons on a bald man's head who was in the stalls.

We got thrown out.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 20th Oct 19, 7:19 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 40,558 Thanks
    mhagster
    A rabble rouser even then VJ

Well what was potentially not going to be great day turned out better than expected.

Lovely and bright in a blooming chilly way, sunny but very windy and very cold...however it actually almost dried the washings!

We went to M0rrisons and had a very lazy though tasty cooked breakfast, got two very large RTC chrysanthemum tubs for £1.25 each. Lugged them back to the car. Had also got some Rtc socks and undies for GN Christmas gift.

Then we psyched ourselves up for visiting the mother. Did ironing ( like forever) hoovered. Washed floors. Washed front door and doorstep which was badly needing doing...I had noticed last week when I was being shouted at. Cleaned bathroom. Also badly needing done. DD2 changed her bedding for her. She was in a much calmer mood than last week.

Home. Aaaaaah! Nice and calm and tidy . Assumed (correctly ) the dog and boy were out together as there was no dog!

Had a small Rtc pumpkin ( much smaller than my own ) so emptied it of flesh and seeds and filled it with oasis and flowers. Some RTC orange roses I got last night and then greenery and purple-ry from my garden!

Made pumpkin soup which was yummy. And have washed and drying the seeds for replanting next year. So every bit was used.

Had a decadent piece of Rtc chocolate cake.

Doggy snuggles.

It’s chilly tonight . Have shut the blinds and put on my wee electric stove for a while to warm up room I’m in.
    Last edited by mhagster; 20-10-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 20th Oct 19, 7:47 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 40,842 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    There, now yous worried!
    [I]PM2DD Zip it, not interested. Didn't look, don't start! Enuff!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    no can do bro' your pain is my pain. i iz now half hatter half mariner. Actually i am one third hatter one third mariner and one third foxes as friend is Leicester City fan
    1) up for the rugby. got the washing on, lawn cut (during half time), washing spun and out to dry, and a sweet potato curry into the slow cooker all before
    2) church. provost has resigned which is sad for us cos he and family were fab but he's been with us 10 years so time he feels for him to move on. he goes end of december
    3) then coffee with mum and dd2. i had my first ever latte with oat milk (thinking of saying no to animal products in november, though will make an exception for beetles as my fave tipple has cochineal in ) grand total was £3 cos i had a full stamps card and both dd2 and i had our resuable cups with us
    4) mrpiano facetimed. mrbeard is with him for a couple of nights (mrbeard is in the church choir, is a solicitor with the cooncil and buys very nice whisky, the last of which went into yesterday's trifle)
    5) 'slow session' which is a monthly playing of ceilidh music, cept as its name suggests, not too fast!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 20th Oct 19, 10:10 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 40,558 Thanks
    mhagster
    A wee sneaky extra pleasure as we were extra sneaky and walked round the light show before it opens! Looks fab. Son went down on his bike and called to say lights were on so I drove & picked up friend & her daughter and we met up with son. Blooming freezing!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 21st Oct 19, 12:18 AM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 49,521 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Sunday)

1) A lie in.

2) Hen had made her own way from the sleeping quarters and was there to meet me this morning!

3) Got various jobs done round the house.

4) Picked bigger son up from Halford's job at 3.30 and got 24p loaves of bread and 54p punnet of grapes from Sainsburys. And some milk.

5) Big curry for tea with rice and Bombay potatoes.

6) Have been doing crochet all evening, making snowflakes and stars for Christmas. Just about getting the hang of it now.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 21st Oct 19, 7:09 AM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 21,711 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Watched the rugby.

2. I also cut the grass or most of it.

3. A quick snooze.

4. Trains ok to go to MIL house. DH was there painting fences to save builder doing it.

5. Went for a meal with cousin and husband.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 21st Oct 19, 8:16 AM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 36,968 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thanks VJs donít think itís a chest infection tbh but will monitor if it goes over 3 weeks.

Sunday pleasures,

Up early and saw the sunrise, low lying mist on the ground but sun streaming through the beech trees, beautiful.

Put out a few Samhain decorations including my horseshoe pumpkin.

Planted up a couple of lasagne spring bulb pots for a ( fingers crossed ) pretty display next year.

A roast chicken dinner followed by fruit crumble which was then followed by a snooze on the sofa.

Evening walk with small dog, poor thing she hurt her leg running for a ball so had to cut walk short. She is walking ok and weight bearing on it but itís clearly tender as didnít want it dried after this morningís walk. Fortunately she is due at the vets today for annual booster so will mention it.
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 21st Oct 19, 12:02 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 4,611 Thanks
    juliettet
    Weekend pleasures
    1. A reminder of lovely friends after Birthday fizz and really good chocolates. We all recently made a pact to only buy consumables.
    2. Lovely yellow roses from my sister.
    3. A really nice day yesterday. Shrubs trimmed and all bulbs planted. Bought mostly crocuses as the first food for the bees next year.
    4. Daisy cat scaring me as I thought the beginning of a UTI. No vet now on Saturday. Thankfully slept for 6 hours and ate 2 breakfasts so OK.
    5. Booked a city break for next year. Krakow.I will miss the concentration camp visit. My dear dad made sure we knew of the horrors and the great debt we owe. I will find something to do that day.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 21st Oct 19, 12:06 PM
    • 6,369 Posts
    • 37,173 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Iím afraind, I is back!
    Heres we goes, another Lunch Bite from BoP!

Mum of VJ! Dear me, what a troublesome yuff they was! Minds me of the SKC on mes training camp and if they did not put Tom and Jerry on, we did not have empty ice cream cartons, but cans of wobbleade instead! Some cans were deliberately not empty! Made a racket more than a couple of times! Perhaps that is why theys got rid of the circle. Mind yous in fish town, above the burger emporium, they can still see the old savoy cinema thing.
    Ah, a mad hatter chasing foxes! Thatís all we need in wonderland now! Enuff!

Nows on with other BoP happenings.

Raffles is seriously offs his food this mourning. BoPsie was up to feed and cuddle him and she put down his food. Heís havoing absolutely none of it. Nose is furled up and Ö He;s ahs had the milk from the crispies! Please note, yous should not feed cat cows milk as it is not good for them. Minds yous yesterdays after anovver brunch, Raffles finished offs the eggs mess! He is good at that.

As noted yesterday that BoP did has his Fish Pie in cheesy parsley sauce. Nows yous wants the recipe!
    Pan of onions, chopped and browned. Add two chopped mackerel fillets, two chopped codpieces. Chop some peppers, toss into pan. And shrimps. Scallop some tatties in boiling water.
    For the sauce, remember Mr Coleman comes to BoP for sauce ideas and not the other way!
    Half pint of milk, boil some and in the jug, add some parsley, cracked pepper, tinge of garlic and salt. Add four tsps of cornflour. Mix with boiled milk and add to pan. Add cheese into pan, stir inn! Stir until thick. Add to fish pie dish and top with scallop tatties. Brown off in oven. Serves four! Wes has some left overs for this night! Rite tasty and good for you!

There, proper foods from BoP! More coming soon.

Trafalgar Day.

Now wes has an extra today inn BoPís packed out Lunch Box! A Fry! A Fryís Orange Cream! Yous donít sees them inn the emporiums does yous? Not an Indulgence, but a pleasure! Nice!

That is all for this Lunch Bite from BoP!

Well, it was a celebration until Ö
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 21st Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 15,066 Thanks
    oldtractor
    1. met some new people moving into the village
    2. picked a bunch of flowers for a friend
    3. ate a bar of chocolate
    4.its not raining !
    5. delicious coffee to drink.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,780Posts Today

7,491Users online

Martin's Twitter