Premium tyres - advice please

I would value advice from you please. My 4 tyres need changing, front two have a couple of thousand miles left, back two are from new and have started to corrode (72K). I have premium Continental tyres and was going to change like for like (£492) is cheapest I can find

I have noticed that other premium brands are a little cheaper, thoughts appreciated about switching as I am changing all 4 tyres and thanks in advance

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    marytee wrote: »
    I would value advice from you please. My 4 tyres need changing, front two have a couple of thousand miles left, back two are from new and have started to corrode (72K). I have premium Continental tyres and was going to change like for like (£492) is cheapest I can find

I have noticed that other premium brands are a little cheaper, thoughts appreciated about switching as I am changing all 4 tyres and thanks in advance

How does rubber corrode? Is it the steel belting showing through?

Car make, model, year?
    Continental tyre type and size?
    Which websites have you checked?
  • marytee
    marytee Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    How does rubber corrode? Is it the steel belting showing through?

Car make, model, year?
    Continental tyre type and size?
    Which websites have you checked?

Thanks for your reply

I don't know how the rubber corrodes, the tyre fitter mentioned it would be wise to change the 4 tyres and the back ones were original
    Qashqai 360 diesel, 2013

Tyre Continental 215:55 18 premium contact 2

The cheapest I found was Asda tyres
  • Inner_Zone
    marytee wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply

I don't know how the rubber corrodes, the tyre fitter mentioned it would be wise to change the 4 tyres and the back ones were original
    Qashqai 360 diesel, 2013

Tyre Continental 215:55 18 premium contact 2

The cheapest I found was Asda tyres

Speed rating?
  • marytee
    marytee Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    again thanks

VO99
  • Inner_Zone
    You can get the tyres cheaper but by the time they are fitted, the price will be about the same.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    your tyres may have started to perish or crack due to the age of the rubber
    In short, even though a tyre over ten years old may seem fine for driving, we still recommend getting new tyres for your car. Drivers cannot rely on visual inspection for rubber cracking, wear to the tread or other signs of deterioration due to age. While tyres may appear perfectly functional, their age is a factor for replacement.

that is some blurb from Continental

if you are happy with the tyres that are fitted then stick with the same make and pattern of tyre

somebody may come along and say X,Y, or Z brand tyres are the best tyres in the world and you could save £40.00 on a set and when you fit them to your car you may hate the way they feel and drive

l am a great believer in better the devil you know f the contis work for you then stick with them
  • I wouldn’t disagree with above, but Michelin Pilot Sport 4S get great reviews and you’ll find Kwik Fit have a discount for a purchase of 4.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    And in future when the fronts wear out put the new ones on the back and wear the old ones out on the front. Means you have to go to the tyre shop a bit more often but stops you throwing out timed out tyres with tread left.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The rubber cracks ove time, have had premium tyres start to crack on side walls after 2 years.
    If you actually got 72k from the Conti 2 on the rear stick with them, have had premium £137 each wear out within 5k on rear but 30k would be good.

Asda were about cheapest when just checked come in close on £492.
    Black Circles dearer £136 each as Halfords. There may be offers on other premium tyres
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hareng wrote: »
    The rubber cracks ove time, have had premium tyres start to crack on side walls after 2 years.

If that's premium tyres, then I will stick with ordinary ones.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure