Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ghost_Chilli
    • By Ghost_Chilli 18th Oct 19, 9:57 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Ghost_Chilli
    Father potentially using his daughter as a slave!
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:57 PM
    Father potentially using his daughter as a slave! 18th Oct 19 at 9:57 PM
    Sorry if this seems bizarre but I don't know whether I am seeing something completely different or what I am seeing is real but before I report what I believe is happening. I want to see what other people think, just in case I am reading too much into this.

Over gosh, must be 4 years now. I started working with a woman in a small team on a food section within a well known supermarket. She is 38 years old, but upon meeting her. My immediate impression was that she was a bit strange and came across almost like a child. Within a few days of meeting her, I noticed an older male worker kept bringing her packs of nuts or seeds for her lunch. This man, I later discovered was her father. He was very manipulative from the off and tried turning me against other people in the store.

The longer I worked there, the more I become to really dislike him. I started asking more questions to his daughter after finding out things like her not being allowed to have a mobile phone or not having a TV at home. She lives with him and her mother and one busy Christmas at work she was doing every overtime hour under the sun. I asked her why, and she said she needed the money. I ask her what she does with her money and she says she gives it all to her dad for the housekeeping. The only money she gets is if he gives her 10 to go to the cinema. She isn't even allowed her bank card.

This has been going on for years and there is so much more I can say but I want to keep that private. Something happened recently that is so beyond that of normality that I feel I need to report her father. This is a fully grown woman with no friends, no social life, no money, no knowledge of anything modern and any time her father is around she looks like a child being told off. I really need to say something to someone because this is not normal in any situation.
Page 2
    • gomer
    • By gomer 20th Oct 19, 9:52 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    gomer
    Thanks for your advice. I phoned the police in the end on 101 and reported it as a concern for welfare, because of what she was caught doing at work. I also raised concerns about everything else during the phone call and have agreed to give a witness statement if it is needed. I don't know if anything will come from it, but I have given enough information that I'm sure the police will at least visit their house and investigate it. They've also gave me a reference number to use in a 999 call if there is an immediate cause for concern for her welfare and I've also been advised to inform my line manager at work and if they've also noticed a concern for her welfare. Then to ask them to report it as well.

Hopefully something good will come from this and I'm sure the police will also see something is very wrong.
    Originally posted by Ghost_Chilli

What about Action Fraud? I've reported financial abuse to them before & they work with the police.
    • Ghost_Chilli
    • By Ghost_Chilli 20th Oct 19, 9:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ghost_Chilli
    If this report goes nowhere. Then I will try them too. I just think, once the police speak to her. They'll immediately know something isn't right and I think if she can talk without him there, then maybe she will tell all. When he's around, she's almost silent and says very little but without him. She talks.
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 21st Oct 19, 12:34 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    Oh well done Ghost Chilli!!
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 21st Oct 19, 2:23 PM
    • 7,643 Posts
    • 9,946 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Well done for reporting it. I was going to sugest contacting SOcial Services as they generally have a team for vulnerable adults, but is she doesn't have any obvious learning disability or similar then the police and the modern slavery helpline are the best options.

If you do speak to her line manager then do be clear that you are concerned about retaliation against her and yourself if he learns it has been raised.
    • pressurecooker
    • By pressurecooker 9th Nov 19, 11:44 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pressurecooker
    hi Ghost_Chilli - what happened, is your friend ok?
    • gomer
    • By gomer 12th Nov 19, 9:14 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    gomer
    I was wondering that too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,291Posts Today

8,201Users online

Martin's Twitter