Swapping from Virgin to Plusnet

Options
I currently have Virgin fibre and looking at swapping to Plusnet 38Mb fibre for a big ££ saving. They ask " do you have a BT socket". Yes I do... but it's basically a terminal block in a white box with incoming white and orange cable and nothing outgoing. It sits above the front door. If I answer yes to the do you have a socket the installation will fail due to the type of socket and location. If I answer no they want £50 for the installation and likely a load more to put the new master socket somewhere accessible for power and attachment to the router. Anyone else had any experience of an installation and what it finally cost ?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does it look like any of these?
    https://www.britishtelephones.com/bterm.htm

Can you take and/or post a photo? Upload to Imgur or similar and if you can't embed it, paste a direct link.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could get a master socket and cable off eBay
    If you a diyer
  • DubblyDubbly
    Options
    Very like a 78A... I'm DIYer but it's actually my son's place too far to travel and he's new skool so diy not an option
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    Even if the socket/junction box is acceptable it is likely that the line is not connected back to the exchange.
    So I think the connection fee could well apply, then you could get the socket placed where you want.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you rely on BB or landline then I would make sure your new service is up and running before you cancel the VM. I know it will cost an extra months payment but better to be up and running especially as your landline/socket position is unknown
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    good point, although I only allown a 2-3 week overlap. rather than the full month!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure