Elderly disabled denied wheelchair at Middle East airport

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    'What are the rules for disabled passengers in transit in foreign countries?'

Depends on the country. There are no universal rules.
    Is it specific to the airport or are there international rules?

There may or may not be legislation in the country, if there is the airport is bound by them. If there isn't then they can set their own rules.
    If rules are airport specific, then whose responsibility is it to communicate those rules? Presumably the airline?

If there are no rules, then there is nothing to communicate. I would think a passenger, in choosing flights, investigates where to change planes that is best able to satisfy their needs.

Generally an airline is responsible for what happens in the air and contracts the service at ground level to the operating airport. eg at Heathrow , British Airways has an agreement with HAL to provide ground services (including wheel chairs).
    They were then refused entry to the transit lounge because 'they were not on the list' and were asked to pay extra. They refused to pay and ended up sitting in a general waiting area which caused them considerable discomfort whilst they waited for their flight.

On this specific point, you won't get lounge access automatically as a disabled passenger or their companion. Lounge access is always from class of travel, airline status and/or payment.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • someanonbloke
    Options
    Airline was Gulf Air. Incident happened at Bahrain airport.
  • Simby
    Simby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Then I am sorry op, I honestly think it was lucky that they were not arrested.

The golden rule is do not argue in the sort of airport.

I really don’t think it worth complaining, tbh if they wanted to avail of service they should have paid the cash and not argued ( arguing was a risk and could have resulted in jail time
  • someanonbloke
    Options
    Simby, I thought I told you to get lost. I'm not forcing you to post on my thread am I? You've clearly got personal issues you want offload but please leave me out of it.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Simby, I thought I told you to get lost. I'm not forcing you to post on my thread am I? You've clearly got personal issues you want offload but please leave me out of it.

This is an open forum, where anyone is free to post by registering.

Starting a thread does not give you the right to say who can and cannot post on it. Just because you disagree with a comment made, does not give you the right to tell someone not to post and certainly not in a rude manner.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It's an open Internet forum. You can't dictate who responds and who doesn't, and telling people to get lost isn't going to encourage people who may have helpful advice to post.

Some of the Middle East airports do have staff who make it up as they go along. I'm still beating a grudge against the airport security who stole my whisky. (Was meant to be be in transit so it was allowed, I wasn't breaking any rules. They nicked it anyway.)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • someanonbloke
    Options
    http://www.reducedmobility.eu/20130802350/The-News/jet-airways-cancels-wheelchair-charges.html
    Following our report to India’s Civil Aviation, Jet Airways has quietly removed discriminatory wheelchair charges at selected airports across the Middle East.

While routinely reviewing airlines website pages for passengers with disabilities, Reduced Mobility Rights discovered that Jet Airways was charging passengers with reduced mobility for wheelchair assistance at Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Sharjah airport in the United Arab Emirates, Riyadh and Jeddah airport in Saudi Arabia, Muscat airport in the Sultanate of Oman, and Bahrain international airport.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    I reckon it was the OP gobbing off. He gives off that kind of impression via this thread.
    Lucky he wasn't arrested with an attitude like that.
  • someanonbloke
    Options
    And now there's a deafening silence from the guttersnipes!
  • someanonbloke
    Options
    I reckon it was the OP gobbing off. He gives off that kind of impression via this thread.
    Lucky he wasn't arrested with an attitude like that.

No, I started gobbing off at the guttersnipes who were trying to fob me off and now you're joining in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure