Is the landline dead?

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    As so many of us have a landline as part of a package, with free calls, it's mad not to use it.

DD has one, but persists in paying for an expensive mobile on top.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Free calls are fine in theory, but if everyone you know only has a mobile and no landline, those free minutes aren't any use...
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • Once you get outside Oxford's city limits the mobile signal disappears. A landline is the only option at my home unless I fancy standing at the end of the garden and shouting 'What?' a lot.

And we're in the 'fortunate' part of Oxfordshire that's able to get broadband at blistering, er, 2Mbps speeds.
  • tlh858
    tlh858 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Like many, the landline is only there because it's used for broadband.

No other options here - no cable and no 3G phone coverage at all.
  • Pmarmalade
    Pmarmalade Posts: 175 Forumite
    Wouldn't have a phone at all if I it wasn't for broadband! What really disappointed me was when I looked to take out a Virgin package and they still required I have a landline (albeit from them).

The only good thing about a landline as far as I'm concerned... it can help you in financial applications!
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Pmarmalade wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a phone at all if I it wasn't for broadband! What really disappointed me was when I looked to take out a Virgin package and they still required I have a landline (albeit from them).

The only good thing about a landline as far as I'm concerned... it can help you in financial applications!

Eh? What are you reffering to with this?! I cant ever imagine a situation where someone would be refused finance because they gave a mobile instead of a landline?!?

Or are you just saying its easier to apply for finance over the phone?!
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    I'm lucky - I managed to get onto the FTTP (Fibre Optic line direct to your home) trial, meaning I got it installed for free, with all equipment, at a heavily subsidized rate - which allowed me to get rid of ADSL and Line Rental all together.

Now the trial is over, and paying 'full' price, I'm still paying less for my 100MB line than it was costing for my old 2.5 (if I was lucky) broadband.
    Bye Bye BT!
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As long as we have Mil, we'll have to have a landline. She doesn't ring mobile numbers .... yes, I know that is illogical, but good luck trying to get her to understand :doh:
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not having as landline No is sefish, why should we have to pay 15p Pm to call you? or 30p pm from a cell phone?. Majorly annoying.
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    Ditto

Great BT charging again yet another increase I think its 3rd on in 2 years well above inflation

Time to ditch BT finally I am sick of them constantly increasing line rental, sadly others always follow maybe dont ask quite as much as BT
    onoski wrote: »
    I'd love to cut my home phone line off! I only use it for the broadband.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure