The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Scottish student fees if studying in England

Hi. Looking for help and advice from the wise. My daughter is from Scotland but has recently begun studying in England because the course she wanted was not available in Scotland. Obviously this will incur massive fees. Does anyone know if there is SAAS funding or similar that would cover her? So far I have not been able to find any information to investigate further. Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,857
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Scotmaw wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for help and advice from the wise. My daughter is from Scotland but has recently begun studying in England because the course she wanted was not available in Scotland. Obviously this will incur massive fees. Does anyone know if there is SAAS funding or similar that would cover her? So far I have not been able to find any information to investigate further. Many thanks in advance :)

She can apply for a student loan as normal. She will get a tuition fee loan which will be due to be repaid after her course ends depending on her income.
  • Hi thanks for your input. The bit I don't understand is if she was studying in Scotland her fees would be paid. But she is unable to do this as there is no comparable course available in Scotland hence needing to move south. Does anyone know if SaaS funding will cover the fees?
    Thanks
  • Scotmaw wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your input. The bit I don't understand is if she was studying in Scotland her fees would be paid. But she is unable to do this as there is no comparable course available in Scotland hence needing to move south. Does anyone know if SaaS funding will cover the fees?
    Thanks

I don't believe they would unless you can find a scholarship or bursary (normally though a charity or the university itself) for the fees. Unless she is doing something really niche, I can't think of a course that would just be taught in England Vs a similar course in Scotland

I found this gives a nice little guide for Scottish students

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/university-tuition-fees-and-financial-support/if-you-come-from-scotland/
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,857
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    She will need to take out a student loan for the fees the same a s any other student at an English university.

Free tuition is only available if she studies on Scotland.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,872
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's long been the case that if you cross the Tweed in either direction to go to uni, you have to take a student loan.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Sorry, but welcome to the real world.

We can't afford to help the students to the extent of Scotland because of the deficit Scotland, Wales and NI have generated.

This is paywalled but you can see the relevant part. Scotland can't afford to support it's students but continues anyway and we all have to pick up the tab.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/21/scotlands-deficit-half-uk-total-blow-nicola-sturgeon-independence/
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,872
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    That's a bit harsh. The OP only wants to know if she can get support to study a degree outside Scotland and was told that usually people don't.

It wasn't an invitation for a lecture on how the less cricket-loving home nations are mistaken to prioritise education in the first lace.

In the time it took Scotland to double its proportion of school-leavers to uni from 16 to 30%, England has quadrupled it from 10% to 40%, so it wouldn't surprise me to find that we've a wider range of courses than can be found in Scotland.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • In the real world I would hope you have better critical thinking skills than you are displaying here.

You cite the telegraph as a source , Could they be biased in any way? , yes they are a right wing and skewing further right as we speak newspaper owned by the Barclay brothers who are mired in offshore tax avoidance.

The figures quoted are suspect in a number of ways. firstly the Scottish govt is not allowed access to the basic structural calculations designed by the UK govt , why would that be? Secondly Scottish exports are deceptively credited to England if they leave by a English port even if they are a product of Scotland

Ask yourself another question, if Scotland is such a massive financial drain why are they not allowed to look after themselves completely? Does logic dictate that its out of the Conservatives kindness and goodwill?

Look at Norway, about the same size and population as Scotland, less natural resources than Scotland including oil. Yet Norway has a sovereign oil fund currently at over trillion pounds. The difference Norway controls its assets, Westminster controls Scotlands
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,861
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The place for discussing politics is Discussion Time or The Money Savers Arms.

Can we stick to the OPs question of fees on this thread please.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure