Argos iPhone Return

Hello everyone.

Today I reserved and purchased an iPhone 6s for £449. I meant to purchase the iPhone 6s Plus model but must have mis-read the information on the screen.

I realised something wasn't right when I opened the box and saw that the phone was considerably smaller than the Plus model. I returned to the store 5 minutes later and explained the error.

They advised me that simply because I had broken the cellophane wrap the box was in, the phone was no longer in a re-sellable condition, and they would not be providing me with a refund.

Apple themselves are happy to take returns and issue refunds for phones that have been not only opened, but operated, for 15 days after purchase. And I have been informed by their customer service teams that they would indeed accept a return from Argos.

I'm fairly determined that I have not just wasted £449 - and their returns policy seems alien and harsh, and wasn't advertised in the slightest at the point of purchase.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether I had a leg to stand on in regards to getting a refund - especially as I plan to spend £549 immediately after at their store on a more expensive model.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    change of mind refunds are at shops discretion, you have no rights, terms are clear on argos website and receipt
  • glentoran99
    edited 12 October 2017 at 7:57PM
    and buy your iphone at an apple store, much better service and they give you a two year warranty (they have fell foul of EU rules before and therefore go overboard and just give two year warranty)
  • Did you pay by credit card, you may be covered by section 75.

is website clear on showing model which you purchase by mistake
  • Yes, I normally do! I'm going away tomorrow and just wanted the phone quickly. Stupid of me.
  • Paid via visa debit. It was pretty clear, to be honest. I'd just had a long day at work
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Wouldn't make any difference. It was neither miss-sold nor faulty or fraudulent. Merely a customer error.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2017 at 9:04PM
    Did you pay by credit card, you may be covered by section 75.

is website clear on showing model which you purchase by mistake

Out of interest, which part of sec 75 do you think covers a person buying the wrong item by accident?
    lanter0909 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Today I reserved and purchased an iPhone 6s for £449. I meant to purchase the iPhone 6s Plus model but must have mis-read the information on the screen.

I realised something wasn't right when I opened the box and saw that the phone was considerably smaller than the Plus model. I returned to the store 5 minutes later and explained the error.

They advised me that simply because I had broken the cellophane wrap the box was in, the phone was no longer in a re-sellable condition, and they would not be providing me with a refund.

Apple themselves are happy to take returns and issue refunds for phones that have been not only opened, but operated, for 15 days after purchase. And I have been informed by their customer service teams that they would indeed accept a return from Argos.

I'm fairly determined that I have not just wasted £449 - and their returns policy seems alien and harsh, and wasn't advertised in the slightest at the point of purchase.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether I had a leg to stand on in regards to getting a refund - especially as I plan to spend £549 immediately after at their store on a more expensive model.

Kind Regards,
    Patrick

You have no rights to force a refund or exchange.

Go back and ask to see the manager, explain exactly what happened and tell him you want the 6s Plus and see if they will authorise a goodwill exchange.
    ====
  • robti
    robti Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    and buy your iphone at an apple store, much better service and they give you a two year warranty (they have fell foul of EU rules before and therefore go overboard and just give two year warranty)
    I just contacted Apple in regards to the warranty and was told that it was only 1 year if bought from them
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    robti wrote: »
    I just contacted Apple in regards to the warranty and was told that it was only 1 year if bought from them

It’s 1 year official warranty and 1 year of what they term “consumer law” warranty, however it’s called Apple will fix or replace an iPhone they have directly sold for 2 years.
    ====
  • glentoran99
    robti wrote: »

I have it writing from Apple that they will replace a faulty iphone within a two year warranty, I have also had experience of them replacing after 18 months. As I say its because of the EU 2 year thing that they have fell foul of and they have gone overboard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure