Warning and advice about LCS Utility Investigation Civil Enforcement Debt Recoveries

Options

Comments

• 18blue78
    18blue78 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 September 2017 at 1:36PM
    Options
    I joined this forum so to pass on my experience of LCS.

I moved into my current property in December 2015 and soon after received an outstanding gas bill from British Gas. After speaking with them, at the time, I was told they had now updated their details and that I was not responsible for the outstanding debt (thankfully I kept that letter and a note about the phone conversation).

Two days ago I received a letter from LCS addressed to 'The Occupier/Landlord' and titled Utility Investigation. The first thing I did was to do an online search and thankfully found this forum with all of its advice.
    I put two and two together and realized LCS are trying to get payment for the outstanding gas bill from December 2015. Luckily I still have details of the property management company that owned my house before I did and after a quick internet search I found a business address for them.

Today I contacted British Gas and firstly made sure my account was in credit. I then gave the operator all the details of the outstanding bill, from December 2015, details of the letter from LCS and the address of the previous owner.
    I must give the British Gas staff credit. As soon as I mentioned LCS she knew exactly who I was talking about and advised me not to contact them. She then went out of her way to pass on the previous owners details and said it would take up to 12 working days for the details to be updated.

Hopefully this is the last I'll hear from them. My advise to anyone getting one of these letters is, if possible, contact the utility company directly and not to enter in to any correspondence with LCS.
  • ItsMeVal
    ItsMeVal Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 3 October 2017 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Yesterday I received a letter from them (LCS) stating that I owe £700 to Thames Water in a property that I used to live in but left in 2007.

The letter states the bills for dates up to 2016 (so 9 years after our tenancy terminated).

I am wary of contacting them. I know this debt is NOT mine. I'm not sure how they got my name, as I'm pretty sure the account was in my flatmate's name anyway. We did pay everything off when we left in July 2007, but as this was so long ago I don't have the paperwork.

What concerns me is the accusatory tone of the letter assuming my guilt but with no evidence. I know I'm not guilty of anything, but having to suddenly defend myself against such an accusation is terribly distressing.

It's also alarming that I was traced to my current property as I've had about 8 address in the meantime.

I have an excellent credit score and would hate to have it damaged but why should I engage with these bullies?

Advice? Ideas?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contact them and dispute it.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Look back in this thread and you will find links to a 'prove-it' letter and links to complain to the csa and fca about them.

Eventually they will be stopped from trading. Your evidence will help.
  • Skinny_minny
    Options
    Imagine working for a debt recovery company how many people lie and cheat to get out of paying for anything when they are asking you for proof that's not them calling you a liar that's just them covering there own back to make sure they have got the "right person" on the phone. I've had to deal with LCS and I have spoke to more than 1 person there and they are happy to take any complaints the complete maybe about them or the company that are working on behalf of they will also query anything for you if you ask I found that they were more than happy to help me you can tell that some off them really do care to be fair they are just doing there job and yes they will have rules that they will have to follow on every call but don't we all have rules and regulations within our work placs I know I do. I know a lot of you won't agree with what I have said but maybe it will give you something to think about
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Imagine working for a debt recovery company how many people lie and cheat to get out of paying for anything when they are asking you for proof that's not them calling you a liar that's just them covering there own back to make sure they have got the "right person" on the phone. I've had to deal with LCS and I have spoke to more than 1 person there and they are happy to take any complaints the complete maybe about them or the company that are working on behalf of they will also query anything for you if you ask I found that they were more than happy to help me you can tell that some off them really do care to be fair they are just doing there job and yes they will have rules that they will have to follow on every call but don't we all have rules and regulations within our work placs I know I do. I know a lot of you won't agree with what I have said but maybe it will give you something to think about

What are you disagreeing with?
  • I have had a final demand from LCS with reference to an unpaid amount to SWALEC for £133? Please can someone advise how far they will take this? Is it advisable to just ignore them?
  • I have had a final demand from LCS with reference to an unpaid amount to SWALEC for £133? Please can someone advise how far they will take this? Is it advisable to just ignore them?
  • fatbelly
    Options
    I have had a final demand from LCS with reference to an unpaid amount to SWALEC for £133? Please can someone advise how far they will take this? Is it advisable to just ignore them?

It's advisable to send a prove-it letter.

Is this your debt? Are you still supplied by SWALEC?
  • scotgal30
    Options
    New to this forum and seen a few threads about LCS debt recovery so thought it would be a good place to start for advice.

My partner just got a letter to his address (where he lives with his parents) from LCS saying:

Mr x
    Parents address
    Postcode

27/11/2017

Dear Mr x,

Our case ref: xxxxxx
    Re client: Scottish Power
    Client Ref:xxxxxx

I write with reference to the above mentioned case number outstanding Scottish Power invoice.

We have recently undertaken an investigation into the utility supply of x address. between xx/xx/2014 and xx/xx/2016. Our investigation has led us to believe that you have moved from the supply address to the address above and are the person(s) responsible for the consumption of this supply. Please contact us on (their number) so that we can discuss repayment of the outstanding invoice.

Please note the information received is regarded with the strictest confidence.

Yours sincerely.
    xyz

Now my partner has never had energy with this supplier at all, in Jan 2013 he moved in to that address with his then partner and moved back to his parents (Nov 2013) very soon after as it didn't work out between them, as far as he knows she could even still be living there. She had been living there for 4 years previous to him moving in so everything was in her name including the power supply.

How have these people got his address? name etc? How come the energy supplier hasn't given this company the name of the account holder of the energy supply?

The only way I can think they got his name is because he did have a telephone package at that address for the time he was living there and cancelled when he left - did they search the address through the credit reference agencies and decided to pin it on him?

How does he respond to this letter - as it is addressed to him, I am guessing will have to contact them to say it is not his debt? Can they pin it on him even though its not his? Will this effect his credit score? We are desperately saving for a mortgage and do not want this to effect our chances of buying our home - if it was his debt he would pay it but it isn't and we're both concerned about the implications of this.

If they are playing a guessing game - will they expect him to pass on the debtors details?

Any help would be amazing - thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure