IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Wrong Registration because of a courtesy car

Options
gibboian
gibboian Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 3 October 2017 at 11:56PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Last week a car was parked at a railway station and the driver bought the required pay and display ticket. There is no ANPR system that he is aware of.

By mistake the driver entered the registration number of my car that was in for service, rather than the courtesy car that I had for the day. A PCN was attached to the car from E S PARKING ENFORCEMENT LTD

They are a member of the IPC

The car was "loaned" by the dealer but Im not certain what the agreement was as I didn't keep a copy. I can get this of course. They aren't aware (yet) of the notice.

What next? appeal to the PPC and inform the dealer not to pay if they receive a NTK?

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,721 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2017 at 1:17AM
    Options
    What next? appeal to the PPC and inform the dealer not to pay if they receive a NTK?
    Yes indeed, and tell them if they get a letter, to please name you as the person who was the 'day-to-day keeper/hirer', with your name and address (and NOT to say 'driver' because the dealer DOES NOT KNOW, WAS NOT THERE, and you do not agree that the driver will be named).

Tell the dealer that by naming you as the hirer/keeper, they discharge liability completely. You could even give them a template letter if they aren't sure, so they transfer liability properly, to protect their interests.

Oh, and you now need to edit and delete some of what you've said about about who parked! NOW!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • gibboian
    Options
    Thanks for the advice regarding the post. I am ready to send the standard IPC template letter to the PPC.

I assume that the "story" is irrelevant to this issue?

and once sent I just sit it out?
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 5 October 2017 at 9:22AM
    Options
    The story is irrelevant, yes. But don't use the IPC template, use the 'hirer/lessee' version written by Edna Basher, lower in the first post of the NEWBIES thread, the one about the POFA para 13/14.

Your main danger is the dealer getting more letters, paying, then charging you, hence why you do need to reply as hirer.
  • gibboian
    Options
    Thanks again

This letter requests a POPLA code but the PPC doesn't use this service it uses Independent Appeals service? does this matter or should I just sent it anyway?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    When I take my car for a service, the dealer lens me a courtesy car. However, it is for my use only. If I allowed anyone else to drive it I would be breaching the same agreement and that person might be driving without insurance.

Your dealer obviously has a different arrangement.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    When I take my car for a service, the dealer lens me a courtesy car. However, it is for my use only. If I allowed anyone else to drive it I would be breaching the same agreement and that person might be driving without insurance.

Your dealer obviously has a different arrangement.

That's not the same everywhere - my local garage gives us a courtesy car and knows either of us will drive it, but only one of us signs for it.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    gibboian wrote: »
    Thanks again

This letter requests a POPLA code but the PPC doesn't use this service it uses Independent Appeals service? does this matter or should I just sent it anyway?

Remove that bit.
  • gibboian
    Options
    Coupon-Mad Thanks for your help so far .. can I just check

The Edna Basher is described as “sent in response to a non-compliant Notice to Hirer”.

I haven't received this notice, only the windscreen PCN has been issued.

I have spoken to the dealer to explain that I will deal with this, do I need them to write to the PPC? They aren’t planning to.

Should I still send the letter now?
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 4:32PM
    Options
    This is a con and a judge would be unlikely to be impressed if they took you to court.

It may also be an unfair term in a consumer contract, unreasonable behaviour under CPR 27.14(2)(g), and, if they pass your details todebt collectors, a breach of your DPA rights.

I should not worry, they are going nowhere with this one.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure