PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour constantly trespassing in yard, claims right of way.

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    chappers wrote: »
    But if access was there before the conversion then afterwards the ROA would have to be explicitly removed as part of a transfer. Just selling the land behind the door to someone else wouldn't be sufficient to nullify the ROA, as the continued access across the land prior to the conversion would be sufficient to establish the access as lawful.
    The owner of the door would have to explicitly give up the right to access or else someone would have to buy it with the denial of access explicitly written into the transfer .

Not if the previous owner of the part of the house that became the maisonette also owned the land. You don't need right of access across your own land.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    I see what you are saying now, Who would buy a place with no access out of your own back door.
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    Fiesto88 wrote: »
    ^^ this.
    everybody uses their back door into the kitchen as the main entrance round here.

Why do they do that? Do they have a front door going onto the front garden/street?
  • chappers wrote: »
    I see what you are saying now, Who would buy a place with no access out of your own back door.

Would it be any different from buying a flat without a back door at all?
  • Would it be any different from buying a flat without a back door at all?

Yes, I'd say so. There's a difference between having something you aren't allowed to use and not having it at all. It would feel very weird having a door in your home that you had to basically treat as a wall.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Fiesto88 wrote: »
    ^^ this.

everybody uses their back door into the kitchen as the main entrance round here.

We do too, our back door is easier to get to than the front door. The driveway is opposite and about 30ft away.
  • chappers
    edited 4 October 2017 at 11:44AM
    Would it be any different from buying a flat without a back door at all?
    Yes particularly in view of what I have said previously about removing the ROW in the correct manner.

Also back to the OPs situation I would say that if this went to dispute and eventually court/arbitration that as it is clear that at some point there must have been at least access/ROW to the yard, that in the absence of any subsequent documentation to the contrary, that they would grant the access/ROW still valid.
    When the freehold of a property is split in this sort of situation whether by creating leases or dividing freeholds, easements are normally written into the transfer for the sake of clarity, but just because they are not doesn't mean that they don't exist. Easements can be implied, for example by habitual use, however the discontinuation of such and easement, whether written or implied, in a subsequent transfer would have to be explicit.

I am in the process of buying a property where something similar happened and access across a small piece of land, linking a lane with an explicit ROW and our property, didn't have any access written. This had been missed over two previous conveyances. Both solicitors were sure that this wouldn't be a problem and that the land tribunal would rule that as there had obviously been continuous access across this land since the original transfer, that a ROW was established.
    As it happened in the end the original owner, from before the property was divided was tracked down and a deed of variation was written into the original transfer.
  • Yes, I'd say so. There's a difference between having something you aren't allowed to use and not having it at all. It would feel very weird having a door in your home that you had to basically treat as a wall.
    chappers wrote: »
    Yes particularly in view of what I have said previously about removing the ROW in the correct manner.

I get the weirdness, but to all practical purposes if you were told you couldn't use that door it wouldn't really put me off buying a place. I wouldn't lose out by the presence of the door.

If it turned out that the ROW hadn't been removed in the correct manner that could only be to my benefit.
  • chappers
    I totally get what your saying and also understand the person who asked what the difference would be if the door wasn't there.
    But my inkling is that if there clearly was a previous right of way that has been removed, then the property has been devalued.
    I suppose it would depend upon how valuable that ROW might be to you, for example if car parking was to the rear and you had to schlepp all the way down the street and then round the back again from the front or similar.
    Maybe it's just a psychological thing but I would certainly be put off buying a house if in effect I couldn't use any of the doors or windows
  • chappers wrote: »
    I totally get what your saying and also understand the person who asked what the difference would be if the door wasn't there.
    But my inkling is that if there clearly was a previous right of way that has been removed, then the property has been devalued.
    I suppose it would depend upon how valuable that ROW might be to you, for example if car parking was to the rear and you had to schlepp all the way down the street and then round the back again from the front or similar.
    Maybe it's just a psychological thing but I would certainly be put off buying a house if in effect I couldn't use any of the doors or windows

Well yes, the property would have been devalued. That means that you shouldn't buy it for the same price as you would have paid before, not that you shouldn't buy it at all.

Would you not buy a house that used to have a garage but sold it off some years ago, while being perfectly prepared to buy the house next door that never had a garage? It doesn't really make much sense to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure