Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Comments

• Hello, I bought a mirror on-line from John Lewis - it was for my student son. It arrived broken. John Lewis agreed to send a replacement mirror but they will not collect the broken mirror citing health and safety reasons. They say my son must return it to store himself or dispose of it - it is 125 cm high and too big to fit in the bin. He doesn't have a car and has to use public transport. Are John Lewis correct in saying they don't have to collect the broken mirror?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    karlon wrote: »
    Hello, I bought a mirror on-line from John Lewis - it was for my student son. It arrived broken. John Lewis agreed to send a replacement mirror but they will not collect the broken mirror citing health and safety reasons. They say my son must return it to store himself or dispose of it - it is 125 cm high and too big to fit in the bin. He doesn't have a car and has to use public transport. Are John Lewis correct in saying they don't have to collect the broken mirror?

The broken mirror belongs to your son - you paid for it but transferred ownership to your son. JL have agreed to send a replacement, it is their choice whether or not they require the original mirror to be returned. For some items it is just not economically worthwhile for the supplier to collect.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Why not just break it a bit more . . . then it'll fit in the bin?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    And make sure it goes in the general waste bin, not the glass recycling bin/box.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Jodi_Bond wrote: »
    Hi I purchased a few dresses online from a company in la America. They are saying I am not entitled to a refund and won't allow me to cancel some of my order. Is there a trading standards in America I can contact?

Whats wrong with the dresses ?

This is why its a good idea to check where the company is based and what they do about refunds.
  • Argos advertised a dressing table online as coming with a stool. It was delivered but the box contained no stool. Argos state that the stool was never included in the price even though they have taken our money. They offered full refund or £20 off next order. We would like them to honour the advertised stool as the dressing table is perfect. Can we contest their offer if we have written proof via email receipt that the stool was included in the price?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sealos1979 wrote: »
    Argos advertised a dressing table online as coming with a stool. It was delivered but the box contained no stool. Argos state that the stool was never included in the price even though they have taken our money. They offered full refund or £20 off next order. We would like them to honour the advertised stool as the dressing table is perfect. Can we contest their offer if we have written proof via email receipt that the stool was included in the price?
    Yes of course.

If you have written proof of the offer that included the stool, of course you can complain.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sealos1979 wrote: »
    Argos advertised a dressing table online as coming with a stool. It was delivered but the box contained no stool. Argos state that the stool was never included in the price even though they have taken our money. They offered full refund or £20 off next order. We would like them to honour the advertised stool as the dressing table is perfect. Can we contest their offer if we have written proof via email receipt that the stool was included in the price?

If the goods are 'not as described' then Argos have breached the contract.

But in terms of giving you a stool - I would guess that the dressing tables come from their suppliers without stools - so Argos have no stool to give you.

So reasonable options might be to accept the full refund, or find out the cost of a similar stool somewhere else, and claim that from Argos.
  • Hi

I'm a newbie to forum posting, apologies in advance if this question has already been answered.

I ordered a fitbit charge 2 in November 2015 with a 2 year guarantee. The fitbit became faulty in December 2016 (the charging connector came away) and a replacement was provided in January 2017. Now the replacement wristband has come away from the main screen. I contacted the retailer who originally agreed to provided a new replacement/refund. When I agreed to the replacement they then advised that as it was now out of warranty they will not assist with the quality issue.

Can anyone please advise if I have any rights to a repair/replacement/refund, and if the retailer has acted correctly ?

Many Thanks
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The retailer has acted correctly, for warranty claims you go to the manufacture who will help, they tend to be pretty good at sending out straps.

If you want to take it up with the retailer then you need to invoke your statutory rights But you need to prove your case by getting a report to state it's an inherent fault etc which is a hassle and something you really don't need to do at this stage.

So the retailer doesn't need to do anything until you make your case against them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback