NowTV box

Comments

• We currently have Sky TV package and Netflix streamed through Xbox, We pay for ultra HD package on Netflix which is brilliant quality for just a normal standard broadband.

We are coming to the end of Sky contract and to be honest only use MTV, Sky 1, Sky Atlantic and Fox channels so really tempted to go with Now TV - They have a deal - I think £99 for the full year upfront payment for entertainment, Box sets / cinema which seems a fabulous deal - However I am wondering about the streaming quality - Is it really bad and if so is there an option to pay a higher price for HD quality?
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    We currently have Sky TV package and Netflix streamed through Xbox, We pay for ultra HD package on Netflix which is brilliant quality for just a normal standard broadband.

We are coming to the end of Sky contract and to be honest only use MTV, Sky 1, Sky Atlantic and Fox channels so really tempted to go with Now TV - They have a deal - I think £99 for the full year upfront payment for entertainment, Box sets / cinema which seems a fabulous deal - However I am wondering about the streaming quality - Is it really bad and if so is there an option to pay a higher price for HD quality?

Post #202...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 September 2017 at 5:14PM
    You can’t get HD but I find the PQ to be excellent on NowTV streamed through my smart LG TV with very little buffering. I’m on VM 50meg BB.
    That deal seems really good.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    You can’t get HD but I find the PQ to be excellent on NowTV streamed through my smart LG TV with very little buffering. I’m on VM 50meg BB.
    That deal seems really good.

720P is HD.
  • Hi

Just cancelled my sky and was thinking of getting Now TV but looking at information I'm a bit confused and wondering if it really is cheaper than sky.

How do you record things to watch later? Or do I now need another device to do that?

What is the Smart Now TV? Does that just mean broadband is included as well?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NowTV doesn't allow you to record. It's streaming only.

The Smart Box is a faster Now TV box but is chunkier and allows you to pause and rewind live TV and also gain access to the Freeview channels - both features aren't available on the cheaper box which is just a basic streamer.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Beremy wrote: »
    Hi

Just cancelled my sky and was thinking of getting Now TV but looking at information I'm a bit confused and wondering if it really is cheaper than sky.
    Comparing the two Entertainment bundles, Now TV is definitely cheaper. Once you add Movies or Sport, the difference diminishes slightly, I think.
    How do you record things to watch later? Or do I now need another device to do that?
    There is no recording on Now TV. It is a service built around catch-up, video-on-demand and box sets. If you only watch those and only on commercial channels, you do not need a TV Licence, so that's a further £12 pm saving, potentially.

If you want more traditional viewing of Sky channels together with recording, but want the possibility of saving money, then the Talktalk TV service has a small Sky bundle for £5 extra (on top of the basic TV/Fibre BB price). I understand that The Talktalk box can record the Sky channels it receives over the Internet.
  • Thank you - I'll look into that. I've just wasted about an hour with Now TV's chat and based on their customer service alone I'm not sure I want to buy anything from them.
  • If you wanted to watch a tv programme like game of thrones and you were going out for the evening - could you just watch it when you wanted later that night or the next morning?

Or do you need a freesat box to record it (and will it record it?)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:33PM
    Beremy wrote: »
    If you wanted to watch a tv programme like game of thrones and you were going out for the evening - could you just watch it when you wanted later that night or the next morning?
    Yes - depending on the rights it will either be added after broadcast, or it will already be there as a box set of the whole series. Once on Now TV, episodes will remain available for several months, at least.
    Or do you need a freesat box to record it (and will it record it?)
    No. You cannot record from Now TV. As I said before, if you prefer the viewing model to be live viewing and recording rather than catch-up, then Talktalk might be a better choice, if they include your required channels in their bundle, which is: Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Arts, Sky Living, Real Lives and Sky Sports News. It's worth noting that no non-Sky/Now TV providers offer Sky Atlantic, if that's what you're looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure