Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ceridwen
    It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?
    • 15th Jul 10, 6:07 PM
    It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping? 15th Jul 10 at 6:07 PM
    This is a follow-on thread to Kittie's "It's tough NOW - so how are we coping?" thread.

Kittie started up that "installment" of her thread in November 2008 - because the original one had had 235,000 views and she felt the need for a change of emphasis.

That thread has now been running for some time - and has had over half a million views and BigMummaF suggested (and has been seconded) that perhaps it's time to start up the next "installment" of this popular thread.

As Kittie is the "founder" of this thread - I have sent her a P.M. yesterday asking for her views on starting up a new installment. I know she has been on MSE since then - so will have seen the PM - but does not tend to frequent the Old Style Board now. The need for this thread is greater than ever now - as it looks like the Hard Times are "bedding in" for a while yet...

So - kittie - if I may take the liberty of starting this new installment of your popular thread up on your behalf - as I know you feel we are much in accord in our way of thinking about the situation?

So - kittie - if I may take silence as assent to my suggestion that I start up the Mark 3 Version of the "It is tough Now" thread on your behalf??

- then here it is folks.

So - perhaps folks would like to now start putting up their "Its tough now" posts on this new thread.

EDIT: I've now put a post up on the previous thread to re-direct people over here.

FURTHER EDIT (as per suggestion) - link to old thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1295539
    Last edited by ceridwen; 15-07-2010 at 7:29 PM.
Page 36
  • katholicos
    The general consensus with regard to buying v renting, seems to be that owning your own home is the preferred option IF it is paid for....but that there is just as much uncertainty in the mortgage market as there is for those who rent, though for differing reasons.

Personally I rent because I left a bad marriage in traumatic circumstances and had to move somewhere where myself and the children would be safe. I left that marriage with no money in my purse, 2 children and a dog. Thanks be to God for council accomodation because though i had to stay with relatives for a few months while waiting for a property to become available, I was eventually offered a 3 bedroomed house.

I was raised in council accomodation by hard working parents. My father was a local councillor working tirelessly and voluntarily i might add, for the good of those in our community. My brother went to uni (he is now a police inspector) and i was a wild child so i went off on the back of some guys motorbike LOL!

After a good many years of living in their council house, my parents decided that they would try to buy their house from the council. They succeeded and even managed to pay the mortgage off through many jobs and a lot of hard work.

When my Dad got ill and could no longer get up the stairs they started looking at bungalows. They found one and fell in love with it. They were able to sell their home and also to take out a small mortgage on the bungalow....once again, through hard work and determination they managed to pay off the mortgage on the bungalow and they now live there, very happily.

I'm sharing this because although no one in this thread (to my knowledge) has directly expressed that council house dwellers are in some way deficient or inferior, this 'opinion' has often been my experience when interacting with people who have never resided in council accomodation themselves. I have had people looking down their noses at me because of where i come from and been told to my face (on more than one occassion) that people who live on council estates are robbers, dole dossers, junkies or 'prozzies'.

Throughout my adult life I have lived in various rented accomodation and have sometimes yearned for the security of having my 'own' house...but my logical side knows that unless it is paid for outright, whether I rent or have a mortgage, neither would provide me with my own 'for keeps - can't be taken away from me' house.

These days, I find myself less concerned about whether or not i own a house...i'm far more interested in making the house I live in, a home.
    Last edited by katholicos; 22-07-2010 at 9:51 PM. Reason: typo's!
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • floss2
    We had to make new wills when we moved to Scotland, our English ones are not valid in Scotland.
    Originally posted by csarina
    Ooh, didn't know that - useful bit of info if we decide to head for the hills as OH has been planning for years!
  • floss2
    .... I have had people looking down their noses at me because of where i come from and been told to my face (on more than one occassion) that people who live on council estates are robbers, dole dossers, junkies or 'prozzies'.....
    Originally posted by katholicos
    I have had that prejudice - the estate where my mum lived for 30 years went through reputations over those years from "idyllic" to "like Beirut" and back again - my kids & I were slated for accepting a HA home there, but we loved it.

In the town where I now live, several of our councillors live on the "sink" estates of council / ex-council homes, and in my previous home town a chap who started as a councillor, went onto be come an MP and then an MEP lived 2 roads away from us during the 15-year long "like Beirut" period whilst serving the townsfolk in office.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Jul 10, 10:04 PM
    • 15,467 Posts
    • 150,936 Thanks
    mardatha
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 22nd Jul 10, 10:28 PM
    • 3,593 Posts
    • 42,410 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    You are so right Mardatha, for years I have longed for the country cottage but had to accept I ain't goin now where so I bit the bullet and got on with it. I am living on council estate in Manchester, most of the neighbours drive us crazy the rest just ignore us but we pull up the virtual drawbridge and s*d the lot of them. Meanwhile near bye we have good supportive friends who just about understand us but definately appreciate us. Hope fully soon Dd will have a house near by and use all the skills I have taught her and all the advice I have gleaned from you guys. Also friendship is not limited by distance, nor is support so I have a wide range of friends through the pc who I love being just a click away from.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 23rd Jul 10, 4:26 AM
    • 9,427 Posts
    • 61,200 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Good morning everyone! I am heading towards the end of a night shift, just a couple of hours to go. There is a fantastic sky out there, all pink-streaked and glowing, heralding the promise of a glorious day. Right now, I don't need loads of money to feel rich, not when the wonders of Nature are out there. (Better get on and finish off some work before the day crew get here!)
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Hardup Hester
    I own my own house, to rent a 3 bed house locally costs in excess of 1200 a month whereas my mortgage is about 600 because I put a largish deposit down. I only had the deposit because I'm divorced. I rented 2 places before I bought this one, both private landlords & with both there were problems that the landlord refused to fix as they didn't deem them important. In one the front door didn't lock & in the other there was no hot water, I felt both of these were important. That said I would never look down on people who rent, HA or private. My house is on a HA estate & whilst we have a few dodgy familys we also have lots of nice ones too, but some of my friends won't visit me as they find the estate scary.
    Hester
  • JayJay14
    We live in a lovely 4 bed detatched house in a nice area. OH has now been out of work for 6 months and his benefit runs out next week. We have 6 months left on the insurance for the mortgage and by then our 'cushion' will have well and truly run out (OH was made redundant 3 years ago and has survived on temp jobs until the latest unemployment) In the new year we may have no choice but to sell and rent.

We have been in this house for 11 years so it is no not somewhere I look forward to leaving, let alone dispose of all our junk to move into a smaller house. We would have to look for a private rental as there would be no other option. I don't have a problem with the renting side (we would be retiring in 10 years anyway so would probably have been selling up to fund the retirement) I just feel cheated that we have put so much into our home and then have to leave.

If OH gets a job the relief will be overwelming.
  • ceridwen
    I don't think anyone on here is looking down in any sense on living in a Council estate or anything....I feel this point needs to be made...as some people seem to be wondering....

For the record - I've lived in State housing before now - and yes ..it was getting scary to hear of some of the stuff going on. On the other hand - there were some tenants who were trying very hard to "keep on top of the problems" and improve the level of facilities. The area I lived in was such that I wondered whether I should put a different address on job application forms - so that I wouldnt have wrong judgements made about me at the outset. I knew those judgements would be dropped as soon as I started talking ('cos I speaks so proper...) - but I had to "get in the door first" and I do wonder whether the address I had sometimes meant I didn't get that chance in the first place...
  • ceridwen
    We live in a lovely 4 bed detatched house in a nice area. OH has now been out of work for 6 months and his benefit runs out next week. We have 6 months left on the insurance for the mortgage and by then our 'cushion' will have well and truly run out (OH was made redundant 3 years ago and has survived on temp jobs until the latest unemployment) In the new year we may have no choice but to sell and rent.

We have been in this house for 11 years so it is no not somewhere I look forward to leaving, let alone dispose of all our junk to move into a smaller house. We would have to look for a private rental as there would be no other option. I don't have a problem with the renting side (we would be retiring in 10 years anyway so would probably have been selling up to fund the retirement) I just feel cheated that we have put so much into our home and then have to leave.

If OH gets a job the relief will be overwelming.
    Originally posted by JayJay14
    Having to have mortgage insurance wasnt something that was "on the horizon" when I bought my house - the, then, DHSS paid all the mortgage interest for however long was necessary if the mortgage-holder lost their job and reputable Building Societies accepted that if they couldnt get the mortgage capital they couldnt get the mortgage capital and they would have to accept it pro tem. I know that things have changed in the years since then....

Will the DWP take over paying at least the interest part of the mortgage once the insurance cover ends? Are there any sort of limits on that now - or would they go on paying it ad infinitum if need be?

It seems such a shame to think of losing your house - and I wonder if there is some way it could be avoided....((take care))
  • floss2
    Can I just add that if you have any problems with a rented property that your landlord is unwilling to repair, you can contact the Housing Enforcement team at your local council - there are tools and powers available to them to force certain repairs to be done to make a property up to a certain standard such as safe & secure, weathertight, heating & hot water, adequate bathroom & kitchen facilities etc. Look on your council website for more help.
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 23rd Jul 10, 7:01 AM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 4,654 Thanks
    northwest1965
    No,All I got was a letter offering me the job to which I accepted verbally over the phone.
    Originally posted by spike7451
    Sorry to hear about this, it must be awful. I think I would act now but 'in writing'. Good luck
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 23rd Jul 10, 7:04 AM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 4,654 Thanks
    northwest1965

Its quite confusing wats subject to vat and whats not.
    are medicines as could stock up on them over winter.
    Originally posted by gailey
    Does this help gailey
    http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel= pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyTyp e=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000118#P67_4124

Does seem ridiculous that there is VAT on loo rolls but not magazines. To me loo rolls are essentials
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 23rd Jul 10, 7:20 AM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    Morning all!

Has anyone been watching that report on BBC Breakfast about how the life expectancy gap between rich and poor is at its greatest since records began? (If not, article is here .) Of course, life expectancy generally is higher than it has ever been, too, but with public sector cuts I can't see how that gap is going to get narrowed. If anything it's surely going to widen even more. This quote in particular is pretty scary:

"Health and wealth are directly linked and, unless we tackle the income gap, we could well see life expectancy actually starting to fall for the first time in the poorest areas."

• Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 23rd Jul 10, 7:22 AM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    Especially given that at the gossip rag end of the market they serve pretty much the same purpose

• babyboysmommy
    • By babyboysmommy 23rd Jul 10, 7:27 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    babyboysmommy
    Originally posted by northwest1965
    That made interesting reading thank you. It makes me glad I cook almost everything from scratch as most of the things we buy are zero rated, and I agree, loo rolls are essentials! We just buy MrT's value ones, some of the more luxury padded rolls one could argue are a luxury though.
  • ceridwen
    Morning all!

Has anyone been watching that report on BBC Breakfast about how the life expectancy gap between rich and poor is at its greatest since records began? (If not, article is here .) Of course, life expectancy generally is higher than it has ever been, too, but with public sector cuts I can't see how that gap is going to get narrowed. If anything it's surely going to widen even more. This quote in particular is pretty scary:
    Originally posted by silvercharming
    No - but what I did read this morning and thought worthy of posting here is:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/terence-blacker/terence-blacker-recession-turns-us-into-new-people-203318.html

...a little thought in which prompted me back to the annoyance I feel at odd recent comments in the media speculating about differing retirement ages according to type of work done since leaving school. The comment about middle-aged people in that would tend to reinforce my thoughts that one simply cannot even think of telling people at mid-life onwards that they might be penalised (by having to take later retirement than some others) just because they chose what I call a "middling" type job many decades ago - rather than a manual worker job. I know, I know how much harder manual work is physically - but neither the manual worker, nor the "middling" type job person can "roll back the decades" and change the job choices they made all those years ago - so should not be either penalised or rewarded now for what their much younger Self decided.

EDIT: Huh!!! What went wrong there? A totally different link came up to the one I typed in...

Does anyone know how to give a posh link to the article in today's Independent by Terence Blacker on "Recession turns us into new people" please?
    Last edited by ceridwen; 23-07-2010 at 7:34 AM.
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 23rd Jul 10, 7:32 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    why did truant officer call.
    lea say kid allowed 10days out for hols.
    Originally posted by gailey
    The primary school they attend are on your back straight away, by 9:30am they at the house banging on the door. If its not the truancy officer its the school mentor i.e social worker. If they don't catch you they on the phone all day wondering where / why the children aren't at school. It just seriously annoyed me that time as two days before the same thing had happened, thats why i marched into the school the way i did. Turned out it was a mistake on the register. But still i cold have seriously took it further and called it neglect, breach of duty of care etc.

Glad to know i'm not the only one ceridwen, i just think tv is overrated. I mean at christmas especially its just repeats and utter nonsense.
    Spike what a nightmare, can't believe they did that to you
    tudorose thats awful, you poor thing x

I have had people looking down their noses at me because of where i come from and been told to my face (on more than one occassion) that people who live on council estates are robbers, dole dossers, junkies or 'prozzies'.
    Originally posted by katholicos
    I get this regularly from a woman who i am friends with, but because she knows i came from a rough area. I once gave her directions and route in which only locals would know.She regularly says comments like "you can tell she's a from council estate" and quite frankly it annoys me and it has ruined a few new friendships i had made when she proceeded to call the people who lived (used) there criminals etc

silver charming
    • brownhandbag
    • By brownhandbag 23rd Jul 10, 7:33 AM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 29,411 Thanks
    brownhandbag
    Re the rental debate,

I have always rented and think one it is a huge problem in this country that people think they must buy. When I am told 'renting is dead money' I wanna scream!

My background is farming and many farmers rent their whole farms for generations. I have lived in some fabulous places which would not have been possible without renting. We all have to live somewhere and it will cost regardless. People don't seem to understand that the bank owns their house until the very last penny is paid off.

If you can rent off family (as we do now) then that's even better cause our hard earned cash goes back into the family pot.
    Simple choice to me, I do not want to be brick rich and cash poor in my old age.

ps.
    Council houses usually have the best gardens and much larger rooms than dolls house new builds. They also don't tend to fall down at the first gust of autumn winds
    Last edited by brownhandbag; 23-07-2010 at 7:35 AM.
    total wins 2013 5500 2014 7500 2015 23,900 2016 10,650 2017 13,040 2018 10620 2019 6388.87
    ITV Winners Club Member #131
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 23rd Jul 10, 7:38 AM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Larumbelle

EDIT: Huh!!! What went wrong there? A totally different link came up to the one I typed in...

Does anyone know how to give a posh link to the article in today's Independent by Terence Blacker on "Recession turns us into new people" please?
    Originally posted by ceridwen
    Here you go

Terence Blacker

Cut and paste it into your post and I'll delete this one

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,169Posts Today

9,550Users online

Martin's Twitter