Economy Energy fraud?

I have just switch my dual fuel supplier to Economy Energy through MSE. After a welcome email telling me my account number and date of switch (10 June) followed by blank Direct Debit Schedules, i have heard nothing but my account as suddenly been debited by a total of £485.65 - , how can they debit this amount after 5 days? I cannot get through on the phone, and after some online research, have realised there are hundred of very unhappy Economy Energy customers with similar issues - I have spoken to my bank and they have refunded the two sums - I am not sure if I should wait to hear from Ecomony energy and keep my DD going, or cut my losses and cancel this - just afraid I will be cut off energy supply. I had a look at my MSE switching status, but it still says switch in progress - I have also just been debited by my former supplier, my account with them is still going but looks like they have a closing balance for me now, so assuming the switch is done - its all rather confusing as not sure if I can just go ahead and change suppliers or if I should wait to get this resolved.... anyone else with similar issues?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It is not fraud it is a !!!! up. Get in touch and ask what they are up to, have you got anything with the amount they should be taking ? If they don't come up with a reasonable explanation tell your bank to initiate a DD guarantee claim.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,374
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No, this doesn't have the ingredients of a fraud.

I should be transferring in a couple of days. I have been advised, correctly, that the first direct debit payments for gas and electric will be double the normal monthly charge.

Economy Energy is reasonably taking some money upfront to reduce its credit risk.

Have they by any chance multiplied by four rather than by two in error?
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-launches-investigation-economy-energy-trading-limited-sales-practices

2 years old, apparently STILL being investigated by the Regulator which moves at the speed of frozen treacle. Leave if you can retrieve your money, send a complaint to Ofgem.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,150
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wouldn't call it fraud, but it looks like EE at their best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure