The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

HSBC does not allow me access to my money

Comments

• Skag
    Skag Posts: 480
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Same banking licence. Same bank.

Way different customer approach and handling I presume, whatever that entails, otherwise they would both be 9th. Or 1st.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Skag wrote: »
    First Direct may have completely different customer handling to HSBC. It's a different legal entity and a bank. HSBC being at the bottom doesn't make First Direct bad, nor the reverse. That's false logic.

The false logic would be your assumption.
    first direct is a division of HSBC Bank plc.
    © HSBC Bank plc 2017.
    All Rights Reserved.

Member HSBC group.
    https://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/
    ====
  • Skag
    Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    The false logic would be your assumption.

https://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/

I don't get you but that's not my point anyway.

I have written my questions clearer above. Feel free to contribute with an answer.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

I was replying to your point made in the post I quoted...
    First Direct may have completely different customer handling to HSBC. It's a different legal entity and a bank.

That's false logic.

I stated the false logic was in your statement that First Direct is a different legal entity and bank when it isn't.
    ====
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I have written my questions clearer above. Feel free to contribute with an answer.

Sometimes perceptation is very different to the reality.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2018 at 6:41PM
    There's more to this than we've been told so far, I'll wager.

Maybe one of the other 2 people on the account moved the money and closed it?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The logical answer is a Euro account held in three names, two in one country, one in another has caused some kind of issue. HSBC wrote to the customer saying the account would be closed. After no response the account was duly closed.

The investigation has resulted in the funds being located and returned to the OP in a form of a cheque drawn on one of HSBC's own accounts. Presentation of the cheque has failed because the names don't match the account it is being paid into.

The cheque cannot be cancelled and returned to the OP's original account as that doesn't exist any more.

HSBC cannot issue a new cheque in just the OP's name without clarification from the other two account holders that this is acceptable.

Solution: All 3 account holders need to visit a branch together (possibly the one the account was originally held at) and sign whatever paperwork is required for the funds to be withdrawn in one name only. HSBC's cheque previously sent to the OP needs to be returned to them so it can be cancelled.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    First Direct may have completely different customer handling to HSBC. It's a different legal entity and a bank.

As others have confirmed, HSBC and First Direct are the same bank and legal entity - just different brand names.

EachPenny has suggested what may have happened- I wonder it's as a result of their https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/security-centre/hsbcsafeguard programme. Others have also been told their accounts will be closed when they don't reply to such requests.

Does HSBC have upto date addresses for you and your family?
  • Skag
    Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    The logical answer is a Euro account held in three names, two in one country, one in another has caused some kind of issue. HSBC wrote to the customer saying the account would be closed. After no response the account was duly closed.

The investigation has resulted in the funds being located and returned to the OP in a form of a cheque drawn on one of HSBC's own accounts. Presentation of the cheque has failed because the names don't match the account it is being paid into.

The cheque cannot be cancelled and returned to the OP's original account as that doesn't exist any more.

HSBC cannot issue a new cheque in just the OP's name without clarification from the other two account holders that this is acceptable.

Solution: All 3 account holders need to visit a branch together (possibly the one the account was originally held at) and sign whatever paperwork is required for the funds to be withdrawn in one name only. HSBC's cheque previously sent to the OP needs to be returned to them so it can be cancelled.

Precisely my thought on the solution. However not having access to one's funds?... I think it transcends the soft expression of "poor customer service".
  • Skag
    Forumite
    My question is still unanswered: What does it mean to be joint holder of a bank account? Does it not mean that each of the joint holders has full access to pay in and withdraw money? Please enlighten me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure