School refusing

Options

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It wasn't uncommon in our school for SEN kids to not do foreign languages so the attitude might be coming from the teacher. What's the point in teaching atrix jnr welsh when she can't write in English? If she's heard that from year 2 and up then you're not going to undo that now.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    It wasn't uncommon in our school for SEN kids to not do foreign languages so the attitude might be coming from the teacher. What's the point in teaching atrix jnr welsh when she can't write in English? If she's heard that from year 2 and up then you're not going to undo that now.

Wasn't in my school either, to an extent. Most students had to do French and German, but SEN kids did one language and were given additional English lessons in lieu of the second.

Thankfully as it stands, foreign languages aren't compulsory at GCSE like they were previously (though schools will push them because of the EBacc.)
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    She didn't pick up any negative comments of "we don't need welsh", I'm pro welsh speaking, I wanted to learn it in school but being dyslexic and dyscalculia prevented this. I cant even do basic maths, My engligh teacher spent many of her break and lunch times with me in her class everyday in order to get me to pass my GCSE exam.

My niece and nephew are both welsh speakers I'm so jealous of them being able to I think welsh is such a "sexy" spoken language. So you WONT find any negatives coming form me or my family about welsh or French.

She just doesn't "get it" she never did the same way I just don't get math, technology etc. she was never able to engage in class when it was being taught in some ways I'm glad she attended a an English speaking school as the waiting list for the welsh schools in the area are way too long and we missed the cut off date in order to register them.

The way I learn is through practical being there in the thick of it, I pick things up quickly and adapt to make it effective. I self tought mechanics, (I get my father to set the torque wrenches though and read me the Haynes manuals whilst Ive got the car infront of me so I can visualise what needs to be done. Then I got ill and lost all ability to follow this as a career.

Sorry waffling on.

back to task.

So no she didn't get fed negatives, she just didn't "get it".

Her anxiety levels are off the charts. We attend Anxiety management provided by the Health board at the young persons unit in Caerleon on a Friday.
    She saw her Psyc ped consultant in November and January.
    She was supposed to have school anxiety councelling provided by school but they she refused it, yet she states this was never mentioned since the meeting and I believe her, as she has no reason to lie about it because she wanted it.
    Gp is noting the refusals I got to call on a week to week basis and not daily tell them the dates she refused etc for it to go into her medical notes.
    I met with deputy head and requested community tuition for Daughter again, he said he would put the referral in but lack in confidence I have of that I also informed our snap representative that I had so she can chase this up. I also contacted him by phone today for a meeting with him and I and snap so things can be discussed.

She has also taken to self harming in the last 2 years, (I feel like crying here), ive had to go round the house and relatives and risk assess for sharps and potential sharp objects that she can use it co-incides with her low moods and anxiety its progressively got worse, to where she has now cut her face up over the weekend.

I could have coped with her inheriting Sever Brittle asthma from me, but ASD, its so cruel on times, to boot I could have bi-polar to go along with Aspergers too so me and daughter clash on many levels that don't help with either of our anxieties.

Ive prepped inclusion team and the home tutoring team at the council, theyre keen to pick the referral up as soon as its received and to hold a emergency meeting with the board to fast track things for me so that's one weight off my kneck but I still feels like I'm drowning.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Try to hang in there Atrix
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 7:35AM
    Options
    Not felt the best today, But looking forward, this must be done, never mind being ill today my daughter is more important than me especially today. 2pm this afternoon meeting with the school wish me good luck I'm gunna need it.
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wishing you luck and crossing fingers for you both.
  • gabriel1980
    Options
    Sounds like she's just playing up and hates school.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Sounds like she's just playing up and hates school.
    sounds like you havent read the thread. Wanna take her on for 14days? like you said if she is just playing up and hates school then she will fall into line for you because obviously its all my fault right!?

Thats my attempt at scarcasm by the way.

i just think you have no clue about ADHD ASD at all.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 8:51PM
    Options
    got loads to do coming away from the meeting.

The referral to home tutoring has gone in.
    I got to Go back with med evidence for Statatory statement.

There is no Ed Psyc in the councty all three are on maternity leave , saw the letter myself form LEA to school, This is completely outrageous.

School is updating their uniform policy, a new revised one will be coming out tomorrow ill get a copy of from reception in morning.
    Also got to get med evidence to state certain clothes causes anxiety due to sensory. (don't know how ill do it because health board prevents doc intervention regarding schools).

Anxiety councilling provided by school, Daughter is on a short waiting list.

Dis applying daughter from welsh for 6 months. Got to obtain letter of anxiety needs.

Ive got loads more running around to do also and phone calling in morning.

So my work rate has doubled the stress levels just went from stressful to digging ones own grave.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    got loads to do coming away from the meeting.

The referral to home tutoring has gone in.
    I got to Go back with med evidence for Statatory statement.

There is no Ed Psyc in the councty all three are on maternity leave , saw the letter myself form LEA to school, This is completely outrageous.

School is updating their uniform policy, a new revised one will be coming out tomorrow ill get a copy of from reception in morning.
    Also got to get med evidence to state certain clothes causes anxiety due to sensory. (don't know how ill do it because health board prevents doc intervention regarding schools).

Anxiety councilling provided by school, Daughter is on a short waiting list.

Dis applying daughter from welsh for 6 months. Got to obtain letter of anxiety needs.

Ive got loads more running around to do also and phone calling in morning.

So my work rate has doubled the stress levels just went from stressful to digging ones own grave.

Sounds fun!

If all the medical evidence is to come from the GP it might be helpful to write them a letter to explain what their letter needs to cover. Also it doesn't need to be school specific. Get them to do a "to whom it may concern letter" and say it's to cover multiple purposes including uniformed after school clubs if they get snippy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure