Pension Protection Limits

Having just watched "The Great Short" my mind turned to the level of protection available in case of failure of a product / business, rather than that of underlying valuations falling. A quick search found this;

https://www.fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/compensation-limits/ which says for investments "The maximum level of compensation for claims against firms declared in default on or after 1 January 2010 is £50,000 per person per firm."

I want to try and clarify what they mean by 'Firm'? Here are a couple of scenarios, lets assume a ficticious case where I have £250,000 in a SIPP with (Say) H&L, it contains funds from Vanguard, HSBC, L&G and Black Rok, plus £100,000 in cash waiting to be invested

1) If H&L go bust, is my limit of protection £50,000 or are the underlying funds still in my name and so protected?

2) Is the £100,000 in cash (inside the SIPP) still protected as it held in a client account?

3) What happens if one of the fund issuers goes under, is that £50,000 per 'firm' too or are they outside FSCS protection?

Many thanks - I will watch Bambi next week instead :rotfl:
"For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    DIscussed here loads, search the archives. Basically money and investments are held by both platforms and fund managers in ring-fenced client accounts so if either went bust their creditors would have no access to your funds.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You are protected up to £50k under FSCS for each fund house you are invested with in the event of a major fraud and your funds are lost. You also have this same protection if the platform is subject to a major fraud. So although your funds would be ring-fenced there is a small possibility that your funds could be at risk in the event of a major fraud in either the fund houses or platform you choose to invest in.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Audaxer wrote: »
    You are protected up to £50k under FSCS for each fund house you are invested with in the event of a major fraud and your funds are lost. You also have this same protection if the platform is subject to a major fraud. So although your funds would be ring-fenced there is a small possibility that your funds could be at risk in the event of a major fraud in either the fund houses or platform you choose to invest in.

Does this also include hacking - say your platform is hacked and funds are transferred out and stolen and the platform goes under because it can not afford to make good the losses presumably this 50k is all the compensation you would get.

Do people split funds across providers/platforms to protect themselves against this? Is this even possible if you have a company administered DC scheme?
    I think....
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    stakeholder pensions and personal pensions using internal insured funds get 100% FSCS protection with no upper limit.

If FSCS protection is a a concern of yours then maybe using insured funds is the better option. Or at least go no more than £50k per fund house and stick to UT/OEICs and not ETFs/ITs
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure