Loft aerial installation

Hi folks,

In the process of moving to a new build house and need to get an aerial installed. Hoping to get some recommendations for an aerial installer in South Belfast / Lisburn area first of all. Secondly was hoping to get an idea of cost - the house has been wired for tv and all cabling is sitting neatly bundled in the corner of my floored roof space with electrical sockets right beside it. I’m guessing I would need an amplifier as there are six rooms wired in and figure I may as well hook them all up. Ideally looking a loft installation. All help gratefully received!

Cheers!
Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society

Comments

• Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    edited 7 October 2017 at 2:10AM
    when I had my aerial installed it was put outside on the roof one cable into the loft then the splitter/amplifier .I have five aerial connection done this way.You dont need a power suply for a splitter .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • I'm in the market for a roof aerial too so will watch with interest, mine would need to be outside and with RTE, thanks in advance..
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Rte is now on Freeview, just need a TV with an freeview HD tuner
  • Thanks, I'd be using quite an old (5 years) TV so prob no HD freeview unfortunately..
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Rte is now on Freeview, just need a TV with an freeview HD tuner
    It depends on the area .My RTE signal comes from the south ,so I need an RTE aerial .The good thing is I get all the southern channels not just RTE .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • If looking for RTE try and get it from a southern transmitter. If picked up on a northern freeview transmitter it will be censored to a degree for certain things e.g. champions league football, episodes of programmes that on RTE are ahead of UK broadcast schedule etc.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The original poster mentioned Lisburn/South Belfast, that will be Divis Freeview for RTE......... don't think Eire Saorvew transmits that far north
  • ballyblack wrote: »
    The original poster mentioned Lisburn/South Belfast, that will be Divis Freeview for RTE......... don't think Eire Saorvew transmits that far north

Well yes but it was as much for funkydaddio's benefit as the OP... the point is, don't expect completely unfiltered RTE, even if you go out and get a new full HD TV, unless you currently receive a dedicated Saorview signal.

Filtering out the football has been especially annoying since ITV lost the rights to broadcast champions league :(
  • Thanks guys, anyone any idea of cost of fitting an aerial please?
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    I put one up in the attic a couple of weeks ago. £18 in Argos and took about 30 mins to fit (one bracket with 2 screws and the main aerial just clamps onto that with two small nuts).

Can't help if it needs to go outside though. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure