PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Coconut Oil - I too had a glut of it and was of the opinion that once I used it up I would never buy it again but all of a sudden I have been using it in everything. I do use it in baking, such as when making flapjacks I mix some with honey or whatever else I'm using and melt it to use as a binder.

I know the OP did say they had no need to use it for beauty treatments but I also use it as a cleanser, just make sure you have a good toner to get it off your face otherwise you'll be very sticky :rotfl:

I have a jar of molasses which I bought because-don't judge me too much-I read that it was a really good source of magnesium and was very good for runners. I generally add a bit to smoothies, does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Thanks everyone for the coconut oil suggestions. I'll have a go with it in flapjacks sometime as well, can't wait to try the chocolates that Nargleblast suggested.
    I posted my brief views of the book that gave the odd suggestion on egg yolks (and some not so bizarre suggestions) on another thread. I said I'd put them on this thread and here they are:

I've had a really good look through my Too Good To Waste cook book that I was sent to review by Amazon and have given it a review.

A quick summary of my review is that if you are looking to save waste due to being on a limited income, this isn't the best book for you, but there are some original ideas. If being green is your motivation, then it will suit you better.
    However, the definitions of waste ingredients are very loose, some of the recipes don't appear to use any actual leftovers.

I'm not sure how many of the recipes I will try out, some of the ingredients aren't really within my budget. Though apparently if you try out 5 in 100 recipes in the cookbooks you own, you are doing well. Most people only cook 1 or 2 in 100.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Coconut oil. I was trying to use mine up too then discovered that I really enjoy my early morning drink of a scraping (about half a teaspoonful;) ) of it, with a squeeze of lemon juice in hot water. Seems to take the edge off my appetite and added bonus of soothing my dry eyes! Strange but I can feel it as soon as I drink it.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone for the coconut oil suggestions. I'll have a go with it in flapjacks sometime as well, can't wait to try the chocolates that Nargleblast suggested.
    I posted my brief views of the book that gave the odd suggestion on egg yolks (and some not so bizarre suggestions) on another thread. I said I'd put them on this thread and here they are:

I've had a really good look through my Too Good To Waste cook book that I was sent to review by Amazon and have given it a review.

A quick summary of my review is that if you are looking to save waste due to being on a limited income, this isn't the best book for you, but there are some original ideas. If being green is your motivation, then it will suit you better.
    However, the definitions of waste ingredients are very loose, some of the recipes don't appear to use any actual leftovers.

I'm not sure how many of the recipes I will try out, some of the ingredients aren't really within my budget. Though apparently if you try out 5 in 100 recipes in the cookbooks you own, you are doing well. Most people only cook 1 or 2 in 100.
    A poster called Pop Up Pirate has it every day for breakfast (he posts in the dieting thread). I'm not sure in what form he has it at breakfast but you could ask him. :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 May 2017 at 2:31PM
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Coconut oil. I was trying to use mine up too then discovered that I really enjoy my early morning drink of a scraping (about half a teaspoonful;) ) of it, with a squeeze of lemon juice in hot water. Seems to take the edge off my appetite and added bonus of soothing my dry eyes! Strange but I can feel it as soon as I drink it.
    That's really interesting; I have Sjogrens syndrome, and my eyes permanently feel as if they are full of grit, despite having drops to put in daily; I'll have to get some coconut oil and give it a go; I always have lemons to hand, as I have a slice of lemon in tea in preference to milk.

:hello: *waves to Dizzy Imp *
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Fairenuff
    Fairenuff Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have :
    half a tub of ricotta cheese
    Pickled baby gherkins
    Coconut milk powder
    Whole chestnuts
    Why I have these random ingredients I have no idea can't even remember buying them (apart from the ricotta cheese)
    Any ideas what I can use them in Thanks in advance
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You can send the baby gherkins to me, I love em :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Fairenuff wrote: »
    I have :
    half a tub of ricotta cheese
    Pickled baby gherkins
    Coconut milk powder
    Whole chestnuts
    Why I have these random ingredients I have no idea can't even remember buying them (apart from the ricotta cheese)
    Any ideas what I can use them in Thanks in advance
    I suggest you make a coconut, gherkin and chestnut quiche and serve it with a salad with a ricotta dressing. :rotfl:
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I used up a tin of chestnuts in this lovely risotto of Jack Monroe's: Chestnut Risotto

I use ricotta as the base for a pasta stir through sauce. Gherkins can be finely chopped in to burger mixes.

I would be experimental with the coconut milk powder...
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I suggest you make a coconut, gherkin and chestnut quiche and serve it with a salad with a ricotta dressing. :rotfl:

I suppose you could make a cheesecake thing using the ricotta, coconut milk powder and chestnut stuff, could turn out interesting, especially with chocolate added. Gawd knows what you would do with the gherkins, though!
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport