Barclaycard £50 Credit for bad press

Comments

• Just rung Barclaycard to close my cash back master card and have been credited £50.00 and spoke to a nice man in the Philippines and one in india!!!! It's amazing where your call goes!
    Easy money for a 5 minute phone call.... :rotfl:
  • I went through the I want to cancel because I don't use it ; the person went through the benefits of this card - no annual fee , low apr and increased my cashback to 0.5% for 6 months capped at £50 per month : I still won't use it as I get 1% on Capital One or 0% interest fro 15 months on M&S - but no offer of any other inducements to stay
  • Tried to cancel my Barclaycard; no £50 cash offer but they did agree to reduce the handling fee by £50 on their 18 month 0% balance transfer offer. I have had a Platinum Plus Barclaycard for many years with a £0 balance.
  • jillconey
    jillconey Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I rang Barclaycard after receiving a letter offering 0% balance transfer for 12 months. I made the mistake of saying i thought it was already cancelled and only realised it wasnt after getting the letter. I was offered 0% on purchases for 6 months and then £20. I said i thought id read somewhere about £50 ?? She should she didnt know were the press had got that from (?) but as i had said i thought it was already cancelled the offer was £20.
    Still £20 for nothing, just a phone call.
  • Phoned up to cancel after trying a couple of months ago and being given a higher cashback rate (which I'm still on).

Today I was told there were no more benefits they could give me (after citing better cashback rates elsewhere) and asked me if I'd keep it as an emergency card, so I told them no and thought they'd then close the account... they then offered me the £50 to keep my account open.

They seem to do it as a last resort... well worth a try for a free £50 credit. Thanks for the tip-off
  • Just attempted to cancel my card. Told Barclaycard I didn't want to keep it just because I hadn't used it for a while. Unfortunately I missed the info about the bad press or would have used this.

They first offered me 1% cashback on purchases - refused
    Then they offered me reward points - refused
    Finally they offered me £20 (not £50) credit - accepted

Money for nothing as I actually had no intent to cancel the card :-)
  • mmlh
    mmlh Posts: 248 Forumite
    Had to deal with a rather patronising-sounding guy for 10-15 minutes who would not let me cancel very easily. Went through all the benefits then kept saying it's the most rewarding card around and couldn't understand why I don't just keep it. I tried the bad press reason and he said that's not true anymore. In the end had to put my foot down and was put on hold while he went through the final cancelling process then came back and offered me £20 credit. In hindsight, I could've asked for a bit more but just wanted to get off the phone!

Has anyone tried cancelling other credit cards? I've worked out that my M&S rewards credit card is a bit rubbish.
    Also, I've seen people in this thread mention that they have a Barclays cashback credit card. Is that the one with the £24 annual fee?
  • Deru
    Deru Posts: 621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 May 2013 at 2:30AM
    Barclaycard World Mastercard I got is £12 annual fee with 1% Cashback. (They debit £1 each month)

Also got a Barclaycard Platinum with 0.5% on everything, 2% on Supermarket and Petrol spend. No fee but don't believe this cards been on offer for years. I don't really want to risk them cancelling these cards so bit reluctant to call.

I also have a Barclaycard One Pulse with Oyster built-in. I don't mind cancelling that one but does this technique work on all Barclaycards?

Oh and if you have multiple Barclaycards, will they not just see this and think you'll still be a customer anyway and just not bother making an offer? :P
  • Have just phoned up to cancel a Platinum and a Cashback Card, after being transferred he offered me a reduced interest rate, which I turned down.

I asked for 0% on Purchases on my Cashback Card as my Car Insurance was due, which he then offered me £20 to stay, which I then accepted.

He was about to close my Platinum Card when at the last minute he offered me £20 to keep that one too.

Thanks for the tip, and I an now £40 better off :-)
  • Tirian
    Tirian Posts: 960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, rang in to cancel mine - was not offered anything other than a transfer to a different card with a different rewards system, and 10,000 points if I spent £500 a month on it. This I could easily enough do - but since they didn't bother telling me what 10,000 points actually meant on this new card, I declined.

Was given no other offers, so have just closed the card. No loss, since have now been using BA card for last 8 months or so anyway ... but no quids in, sadly.
    For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure