Redundancy given then advised it was wrong

Hi

My company is closing down.
I was made redundant.
I was advised by letter advising payment etc and good luck for the future.
But now advised our director acted too quickly and gave out letters too early.
The figures had not been approved by head office and our payment will now be significally lower.

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    No probably not it looks as if they realised that they hadn't used the 30 day consultation period.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • so, can they just give us an updated letter with a different figure saying 'oops' and we cannot do anything about it?
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you use this LINK...it will outline what you are entitled to under the law.

Anything over and above this, I think, is at the discretion of the company concerned.
  • daveboy wrote: »
    If you use this LINK...it will outline what you are entitled to under the law.

Anything over and above this, I think, is at the discretion of the company concerned.

Or an enhanced redundancy schem may be contractual and not discretionary.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    KEEP THAT LETTER VERY SAFE.

I am not sure which of the two it would be - Small Claims Court or Employment Tribunal - I would think its the Employment Tribunal.

I would check out which of these two Courts is applicable and then write your employer a letter telling them you'll see them in Court if they dont pay up what they agreed.

I would phrase that letter a lot better than that - but that would be the gist of it - put in suitable polite/official-sounding language.

Right now - I'd check on the remit of Employment Tribunals. Having done that - I would send a (Recorded Delivery) letter to my employer stating words to the effect of "I note the terms of redundancy and payment specified in your letter to me of (date). I look forward to receiving a cheque for (figure first specified) by (date) - otherwise I regret that it will be necessary for me to put in a claim for monies due to me with the (appropriate Court)."
  • Cheers Ceridwen, il do that
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Check first with an ACAS advisor, they should be able to tell you who is right or wrong in your case. A quick telephone call stating the exact facts is all it will take to ensure you have grounds to proceed with a tribunal.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport