Abbey Card 1.9% offer after 0% finishes

I have just got to the end of the 0% balance transfer period of my Abbey credit card. Having paid it all off, I then phoned up to cancel the card. The guy persuaded me to talk to an interest rate person to see if they could persuade me to stay so I agreed. I said I wanted another 0% period otherwise I would close the card and eventually, after sticking to my guns for a while they offered me 1.9% for another 7 months. Although it's not as good as 0% it is still profitable. They did say that there would be a balance transfer fee of £50 so I said forget it, and hey presto, they waived the fee! Has anyone else had any luck with other companies like this? Have you managed to get the bt fee waived with a new card?

Comments

• Walletwatch
    Walletwatch Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Foster

That's good news - I hope this is the case when I come to the end of my 0% in June next year.
    It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They must badly need customers.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Im now on my 3rd deal with my ryanair MBNA card . I've had 2 at 0% for 9 months each time and now have just transfered 10.5 K into my Bank acc for 6months at 1.9%.I've never actually used the card for anything other than stoozing. I've had it 3 years now and they keep coming back to me for another hit. Love them :-)
  • hopewer
    hopewer Posts: 14 Forumite
    Same thing happened exactly on my MBNA card except it was 1.9%
  • CTT_2
    CTT_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    fosterb wrote:
    I have just got to the end of the 0% balance transfer period of my Abbey credit card. Having paid it all off, I then phoned up to cancel the card. The guy persuaded me to talk to an interest rate person to see if they could persuade me to stay so I agreed. I said I wanted another 0% period otherwise I would close the card and eventually, after sticking to my guns for a while they offered me 1.9% for another 7 months. Although it's not as good as 0% it is still profitable. They did say that there would be a balance transfer fee of £50 so I said forget it, and hey presto, they waived the fee! Has anyone else had any luck with other companies like this? Have you managed to get the bt fee waived with a new card?

Personally speaking they should have told you to get lost and without good reason. I possibly would regard you as a parasite rather than a customer.
  • not a touch of the green eyed monster is there??

I must admit I'm coming to th eend of my deeal with mbna and if they don't offer me something similar then I'm off as well.

The CC companies people are becoming more clued up to their tricks and as far as I can see its now a case of who blinks first.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • CTT_2
    CTT_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    not a touch of the green eyed monster is there??

I
    Yes your're probably right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family